nordic runes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hardr004

Forager
Jan 16, 2010
chichester
I have read that they were used up until the dark ages, but i was wondering how you read words aloud. do you say each indevidual letter?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Runes as a system of writing up until the dark ages? Only if you count the dark ages as starting around 1800, or even later. As a dominant system of writing they lost out here in Scandinavia sometime around 1100 or so.

They are letters, used to write words. Outside early reading class, how many read out each letter when reading?

forestwalker

Yes, I suppose I should just jump onto the gravy train really but I make my living from education, so I just hate misinformation.

Well, being a teacher myself I can't rreally fault your attitude in this case. But sometimes I wonder if I do the right thing? Abandon ethics, write some speculative books, get on TV, retire. Some days that plan sounds tempting.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This is the Germanic "Elder" Futhark dated to around 200ad (600 years before the Vikings.)

Elder-Runes.jpg

The Germanic settlers in England later adapted it into the Anglo Saxon Futhorc

Anglo-saxon.jpg

While the Vikings adapted it into the "Younger" Futhork

Younger-Runes.jpg

(The runes bottom left are abbreviations and those bottom right were adopted when the Vikings came back into contact with the Anglo Saxons.)

The differences reflect dialectal and linguistic changes that developed in different regions and peoples.

There is more information here.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
excellent infomation wayland you learn something new on this forum everyday thankyou regards dave

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
There's plenty of mentions of runes used in "new age twaddle" ways Wayland - Egil, Sigurd, the Sayings of Har.

New Age doesn't mean twaddle, nor are all New Agers fluffy bunnies with glitter and sparkles.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There's plenty of mentions of runes used in "new age twaddle" ways Wayland - Egil, Sigurd, the Sayings of Har.

New Age doesn't mean twaddle, nor are all New Agers fluffy bunnies with glitter and sparkles.

I have no problem with people believing whatever they want. I just wish they would leave history out of it.

There are a few references to the practice of Seiðr using runes, in the same way as there is reference to magic using Latin. It does not mean that either are imbued with mystical power, it just means that some form of writing was used.

AFAICR we know that runes were used for magical purposes (to the extent you can trust fiction written a couple of hundred years after the fact). But, also AFAICR, we have no idea *how* they did it.

That is precisely the problem. Despite what some New Age practitioners would have you believe, there is no continuous tradition or knowledge. It's all been made up since the 18th century from scattered references and dubious sources.
You might as well create a belief system from a science fantasy novel like L Ron Hubbard did.
alien.gif

I might have more respect for some of them if they actually did some proper research and got a few things right for a change. I well remember watching a "Druid" waving a knobbly stick around at 12 o'clock on the summer solstice at Castlerigg, before telling bemused members of the public that it was the perfect time for such holy practices because the sun was at it's highest and the stones were in perfect alignment.

He was laughed out of the field when I pointed out that It was clever of the Bronze age builders to account for British Summer Time when the circle was constructed.
17433.gif

Last edited:

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I never claimed there was an unbroken line, Wayland, but derision doesn't help matters. We are, as I said, not all fluffy bunnies. We do not all get our info from contemplating our navel. So you have no belief in it yourself - I do. I'll not debate it with you though, religion is one of those matters that should be kept off the forums I believe.

I dont believe this forum sometimes!! Just got back from a weekend away with the family, and thought to myself "I might just start a thread on nordic runes, as I'm hoping to use some in a tattoo design and maybe wayland could offer some advice???" Then hey presto! Who say's there's no such thing as `divine fluffy pagan intervention`!!

forestwalker

I want to learn runes, and old english, has anyone done it, and if so how easy is it and where would you start?

The runes is simple (just look at the nice pictures Wayland posted). The language is basically a foreign language (I'm told slightly easier for us Scandinavians than for you British). I have no idea if there are self study courses, but any major university should have a course in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE