Non-Military Smocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Know any companies that make jackets similar to the cuts of British SAS smocks? I'm looking for alternatives and I would prefer a NYCO or Gabardine blend material.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
www.bergans.no makes the "Nordmarka Anorak" (No 4100), for € 90,-.
DSC02038.jpg

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
ooh! much cheapness....lol

is it breathable? I'm not working at the moment and on an extreamely tight budget so if this jacket is breathable I would be very interested in one. I only have a £25 crapper at the moment and sweat like a w@£re in it, if anyone knows of a cheap breathable jacket that is at least a wee bit waterproof please let me know...thanks :rolleyes:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
paramo do a windproof smock (the fuera I think it's called). RRP is £50, but you can get them for a lot less than that. Someone on ebay is selling the them for £36 or so. I.m gonna be geting myslef one as they look great; windproof, highly breathable and reletively water resistant (when proofed).

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Ja, ja, it does look a lot like an SASS smock. I'm not a big ban of nylon/cotton fabrics for outer layers. They just don't cut it compared to Ventile. Still, that smock has a lot more pockets than my orange anorak!

Adam

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
scottishwolf said:
ooh! much cheapness....lol

is it breathable? I'm not working at the moment and on an extreamely tight budget so if this jacket is breathable I would be very interested in one. I only have a £25 crapper at the moment and sweat like a w@£re in it, if anyone knows of a cheap breathable jacket that is at least a wee bit waterproof please let me know...thanks :rolleyes:

It's really breathable (more correct; it will allow your sweaty vapours to diffuse...). There are similar models from KM, Norrøna (arktis, and amundsen under outdoor products), and fjällräven. The mentioned nordmarka model from bergans is probably the cheapest though, and good enough.
All of them can be impregnated cheaply, which will make them stand moderate rain for some time. This kind of garment derives from the inuits, and have been used for generations.

Good luck!

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
The picture was taken in the north-eastern of switzerland. An aerea called Saentis, where I lodged here:
http://www.schaefler.ch/
The jacket pictured is made from polycotton (55% cotton, 455 polyester), has a roomy and adjustable hood and a very generous breastpocket (fits easily a bigger map).
I dont think that the quality of the material is as good as G-1000 from Fjaellraeven, but with a price like this you cant argue. The Gutulia from Fjaellraeven is better, but much more expensive (€ 198,-).
My Bergans is definitely highly breathable, but windproof and capable of holding out against light rain. I sweat like a pig and thats why I switched from Goretex to a garment like this, which I use in combination with a Poncho.
The characteristics of polycotton are similar with the now-en-vogue "softshell, with the absence of being stretchy or a tight fit or a high price.
Hey, at work I sell softshell-garments with prices higher than € 180,- but I would never buy one myself. Apart from the too-high price these dont have hoods and are cut very short and tight. Call me conservative, but any bad-weather-garment should, IMHO, at least reach to the tights. Here in germany, even Goretex Jackets have to be cut in a way that they totally expose your butt and you are supposed to wear overtrousers with them. The logic (such as it is) behind this is, that anything longer will restrict your movements.
Future re-proofing will be done with Greenlandwax, as this works quite well with polycotton, even if its not woven like G-1000.
I can really recommend this "Nordmarcka Anorak" and similarly good and cheap products are the "Kikut" Jacket and trousers.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
oetzi said:
Call me conservative, but any bad-weather-garment should, IMHO, at least reach to the tights.

I agree totally what you're saying! Another thing which I think is quite important, is that should be able to repair the garment yourself, in the field. Which really hard with membrane stuff, you might be able to duct-tape up, but that will hold for nothing.. (Getting a bit off topic here)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
Further OT :) :eek: .
Sometimes I really wonder about the fashion-slavery of my customers. Believe it or not, its common to buy a pair of Fjaellraeven trousers cut very low (ending just below the the hip-bones) and fleece or Goretex jackets reaching barely below the coxxy.
Not for showing-off in the city, but for trips to Scotland, Scandinavia, New-Zealand etc. I sell the stuff, no problem, but wonder whether they would understand me if I told them to better stay at home, the dumb sh+++.

rjbaal

Feb 3, 2005
Northeast USA
Sorry about the crummy pic. Custom Snowsled. Velcro Cuffs, 2 verticle zip chest pockets, zipped barrel handwarmer pocket, fully adjustible wired hood. Front of the smock is meshed lined whiched forms the inside of the chest pockets. Very weather resistent and extremely comfortable.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
TallMikeM said:
paramo do a windproof smock (the fuera I think it's called). RRP is £50, but you can get them for a lot less than that. Someone on ebay is selling the them for £36 or so. I.m gonna be geting myslef one as they look great; windproof, highly breathable and reletively water resistant (when proofed).

I agree that these are great jackets: Light, pack small, well cut and featured, and windproof/showerproof. Also nice and quiet. I got mine for £30 from Stewart Cunningham's in Ambleside. They are 100% man-made fabric though, so keep away from the fire in them. (Or, at this price, you could consider them cheap enough to use and abuse)

I like these too: http://www.militarykit.com/products/jackets/miscellaneous_hooded_smock_olive.htm

They're in a tough polycotton, like issue kit, but don't look so military (which I prefer). There are some faults, but for the money.....

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE