Night fishing and new tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I got my new tent at the beginning of the week, so I thought I'd give it a test run.
120Arran_7-med.JPG

There's bags of space in it and you can have a fire inside. If you keep low down smoke is not a problem, but if you stand it can be quite bad. Having a fire in the tent is big advantage, keeps you warm, provides light and you don't have to go outside to cook.
120Fire_Box_n_Billy-med.JPG

It's easy to set up, takes about 20 minutes.
I took my fishing gear with me to catch some pike. It was my first session of the season, I don't do much fishing in the summer I wait until autunm just as it's starting to turn a bit colder. I always use two rods, this way I can try different baits and presentation methods. Last night Sardine presented on the river bottom was the only method to produce results. I caught 4 pike, 11lb 7oz, 10lb 10oz, 10lb 7oz and 8lb 2oz
The first photo is the 10lb 10oz fish and the second a very bad photo of me hold the 10lb 7oz fish :yikes: .
12010_lb_10_oz-med.JPG

12010_lb_7_oz-med.JPG

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Great catches you have there, what baits were you using?. And I just love those moskoselkatan tents... I may invest in one myself one day.

:)
Ed

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
you will find that the smoke in the teepee is less of a problem depending on how much wind there is to draw it, if you strip all the bark of and just burn white wood on your fire you should be able to get it to a minimum, then you wount have to lie beneath it!

Exclenet choice of tent :You_Rock_ , and what a catch! does it get any better!?

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Ed.
The baits I used on this session were smelt on my down stream rod, the bait was coated with smelt oil and aniseed oil, the bait was fished "popped up". On my up stream rod I had sardine, this was coated with sardine oil and aniseed oil, this was fished "hard on the bottom". Normally the down steam rod is the one that takes the fish as this is the first bait they find as they follow the scent trail up stream, but on this occassion it was completely ignored and they only went for the sardine.

tomtom.
The smoke was only a problem when I added more wood to the fire and the wind had died down outside. While I was there the wind shifted from the north round to the west and I didn't notice right away. The vent on the apex should be positioned down wind so it sucks the smoke out. Once I had repositioned the vent the smoke cleared rapidly. I should have said that under 4ft there was no smoke at all. The wood I used was sycamore that was felled two years ago, that bark was off most of it but not all. I going to try charcoal next weekend.

mal.
I paid £599 for the Arran 7cp :yikes: :shock: :***:
It weighs 9.9kg, is 4.4m in diameter and 2.7 m tall. This is the UK main dealer .

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
haha the other day i was camping in a little spot there there was not a breath of wind and i was being lazy and not stripping the wood. the smoke hung about a foot and a half off the ground, you had to lie flat on your back to be out of it :rolmao: ...

i got mine direct from Moscoselkatan.. they were great, just give them a ring they speak perfect english!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi.

I have the Arran 5 lite. it has plenty of space for my needs and more. I have yet to brave a fire in it though as sparks wouldn't do the nylon any favours.

I got mine from Rob on here. Great service.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Wayne, i have the same model, you dont need to worry.. you obviously dont want a blazing infurno(sp) in there.. the space will heat up very quickly on the smallest of fires...

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
That looks great Martin, the tent and the fishing. I have been after a moskoselkatan for ages. I met the guys from light my fire at the game fair in the summer. They were dead helpful and showed me all round the tent they were using to stay in at the show. The price looks a bit steep at first but the arran's are more reasonable than the Tapp varrie range. The fact that you can stand and have a fire is a real bonus over a normal tent.

I'm going to have to try and convince my wife (yeah right).

Bill

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi there Martin, great new tent matie how did you find it to pitch? is the material fire proof/resistant? and do JD and stella stains come out easy? :?: :rolmao: nice fish too did you eat any of them?? MMMMMMMm pike :shock:

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Hi JP how you doin' mate? The tent is dead easy to put up as for JD and Stella stains, that will never happen. :shock:
Its too precious to waste even a single drop :notworthy
I've never eaten pike, I'll try it when I catch a small jack. I don't to kill any of the big un's because they're the breeding stock. You'll have to get yourself up here and we'll have a session on the riverbank :beerchug: :trink26: :stooges: We could even do a bit of fishing :rolmao:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Martin, Be careful with burning charcoal in your tent. You might end up with Carbon Monoxide poisoning if you don't leave the door open. At worst, you just won't wake up ever again, or if your lucky you'll get the headache worse than whole case of Stella's can give you.
Nice fish, bet they're fun to land.

Not a fan of Moscow Hiltons, a pain to put up IMO, and not much use in high wind :roll: . If we have a big bump of snow on the otherhand.....

Still glad you like it

Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE