Newbie Winter Camping Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
Hope this is in the right place.

I have been a bike rally camper for a few years. This winter will see me take my first foray into Scottish winter camping.

I think I have the clothing sorted, plenty of merino socks, longjohns, vests and layers. Some good boots that have proved their waterproofness.

My new tent arrived last week and will be getting a test pitch this week.

Possibly a silly question; would an air bed be suitable or would the low temperature affect the plastic? As far as insulation, would pretty much any reflective material be suitable to go under the air bed?

I have multiple torches, head light and a battery lantern. I know the cold is hard on batteries. Any estimates on how much shorter time batteries are likely to last?

I have a Coleman Unleaded Sportster 533 (donated by a friend who has upgraded). If I get my act together, I should also have two woodgas/gasifier (TLUD) stoves to try out, a simpler hobo stove too.

Thanks
Chris

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Airbeds are good when it's cold! The Multimat one works fine for me. Never felt the need to put anything reflective under it, but I guess a Mylar emergency blanket wouldn't do any harm, if you can stand the rustling. But I'd use a sleeping-bag liner to add a couple of degrees of warmth. As long as you've a good 4 season sleeping-bag (a proper one, not one of those cheapo ones from Tesco), you'll be fine.

Batteries - Robert Dyas usually have a selection of win-up head-torches and regular torches. Use them, and never buy batteries again!

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
The only thing I have found with air beds / mattress in the cold is that you may need to top it up at some point due to the drop in temp. I have an Exped Downmat and although not cheap, I would replace it in a heartbeat if it died or I lost it!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I assume when you say airbed you mean the thermarest type foam filled ones? The ordinary airbeds are not good for winter as they do not provide enough insulation from the ground.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I've been looking at Exped down mats recently (I currently have a simple foam roll) The exped down mats are inflatable via a built in hand pump as for insulation there are filled with down feathers so it should be brilliant. I've heard some people say that while they are meant to be waterproof they may let some damp in which reduces the effectivity of the down so you may want to put the mat on a ground sheet or in your a bivi bag if you use one.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Both the Exped downmats and the Pacific Outdoor Elite AC are toasty for UK camping, adding a mat like Michael said and you're good for well into the minuses. With the Exped one I put the mat underneath so I still get some benefit of the down inside.

Put your batts into a pocket and keep them warm if possible, a chest pocket is handy if you've got one.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I have the pacific outdoors mat and it's great, I've had it down into the minuses and am confident it will hit the double figures in the minuses. Just wish the temp would drop so I could try it!

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
As for batteries, they're a fair bit more expensive, but consider using Lithiums in your torches as they deal with cold weather better. A 4-pk of AA Energizers can be had for <£5 on Amazon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As said, just put a roll/foam mat on the airbed, dam sight more comfy than self inflating jobs and the Coleman performs well in the cold. The batteries won't get knocked much if you are tent camping as the temperature normally is a fare bit warmer than outside and most common head torches are warmed by heat from your head as you wear it.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My vote also for Pacific Outdoor airmat.I am 6'5 and 16 1/2 stone ish and it works well for me.
I do put a sheet of Tyvek and a Space blanket under it if it is really cold.
Consider a light down or Primaloft jacket or sweater to sleep in if you feel the cold and put your socks vest etc in the bottom of your sleeping bag so they will be warm in the morning.
Have fun.
Simon

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I'm not sure about using lithium batteries in LED torches. I have a 'Petzl Mio 3 Noir' and it warns not to use lithiums in it.
Additionally can anyone please recomend a good and durable £30 or less closed cell mat please? Mine has decided to fall apart/rip/scratch very easily.

Last edited:

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
As for batteries, they're a fair bit more expensive, but consider using Lithiums in your torches as they deal with cold weather better. A 4-pk of AA Energizers can be had for <£5 on Amazon

Argos used to do Lithium batteries - buy one (pack) get one free.

A couple of things I use for cold weather camping are Nalgene bottles. At night I fill a Nalgene bottle full of near boiling water and place it into my sleeping bag (check it doesn't leak) for use as a hot water bottle. It also means you have unfrozen water to use for a morning brew.
I use a second empty Nalgene bottle to pee in during the night, without having to get out of my sleeping bag. It needs a bit of practice, but kneeling up in the bag and peeing into a bottle is a good alternative to the cold walk into the night.
It also helps to be able to differentiate the bottles in the dark so they don't get mixed up!!
I wrap my pee bottle with zinc oxide tape and can identify it by feel, and it has bright yellow 'heath hazard' tape so it doesn't get used for anything else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE