New Year Weight Loss motivation thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hmmm... Not been on BCUK for a bit, then pop in and find you're all on the anatomical spring clean as well!
Ok, I'm in as well, been on the go since Boxing Day. Starting weight 18 st 9 lb, weight yesterday 17 st 12 lb.
Mainly achieved by treating work as a gym - running up stairs, climbing ladders fast, treating moving heavy stuff as a workout. Also speed-marching to and from the station (1.5 miles) instead of driving.
Motivation is good - I'm doing an open-air show this summer (playing Tybalt in Romeo & Juliet), so need to improve my fitness and lose the blubber :D
Never going to get thin - BMI and I have never been on speaking terms: I attended series of medical trials in my 20's, and was told that my bmi of 30 meant that I was obese, at 6'2" with a 32" waist and less body fat than a greyhound... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RichM

Feb 6, 2012
United States of America
This thread is just exactly what I need right now. I gained weight little by little so now I have about 7-8 pound plus which is a huge amount for me. I'll try to work on myself I promise!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i'm in as well been trying to diet for a few months now but keep falling off hopefully going to figure out a way to stick to it. starting weight is something in the order of 16st 7 which is shocking considering in 2009 i was an outdoor activities instructor at a healthy 14st but i ended up unemployed for over a year and really piled on the pounds. not too fussed about actually losing weight as muscle is heavier than fat but concentrate on losing inches off my waist and lowering my body fat percentage. plan of attack is to cut out all refined carbs, sugars and starches, more proteins and good fats, snack on fruit and nuts not chocolate, and exercise by longer walks (with dog), bought a rowing machine and kettlebells which i'll use 5 times a week, and vigorously attacking my allotment (massively overgrown and full of twitch) in the evenings as it gets more light

matt

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
hey fellas

I had a bit of a disasterous new year and as a result ended up putting on nearly half a stone taking me to ................... 19st 6lb (ashamed!!)

Well that was the kick start i needed i weighed myself yesterday and i'm down to 18st 7lb so JUST under a stone lost and a long way to go but on the right road!

Dave

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lost 4 pounds in the first 8 days.

Feeling chuffed, but have to keep reminding myself that this is a start not a result. I'm still way over, but at least I have progress in the right direction, and that without being too hard on myself and despite not being able to exercise as I'd like as I injured my foot on the weekend (freak ankle twist whilst walking).

Feel good though.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Weight gain update: 77,9 to 79,1kg in exactly two weeks. (Original weight 74,3 in December.)

Guys I hope your loss progress is faster than my gain progress. :)
(Not that I would want to gain too fast, that is unhealthy!)

More importantly I feel much stronger and it has been showing in the gym too.

Obvious downsides as my Fjällräven Iceland trousers which I bought a year ago to fit are now too tight at the thighs and I can't squat or kneel properly. :( Might have to sell them.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Lost another 3lbs over the last 8 days down from 13 stone 11lbs to 13 8(88 kg). Starts to get tough from past experience to shed weight from this point so will have to up the cardio and really watch my diet as I'm weight lifting as well and want to clean gain muscle while dropping body fat. It is quite hard getting a balance of getting enough nutrients to make small muscle mass gains while also loosing fat.

Not drinking any booze since December has really helped the weight loss as booze inevitably leads to many kebabs and chips!!

Steve.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Lost another 3lbs over the last 8 days down from 13 stone 11lbs to 13 8(88 kg). Starts to get tough from past experience to shed weight from this point so will have to up the cardio and really watch my diet as I'm weight lifting as well and want to clean gain muscle while dropping body fat. It is quite hard getting a balance of getting enough nutrients to make small muscle mass gains while also loosing fat.

Not drinking any booze since December has really helped the weight loss as booze inevitably leads to many kebabs and chips!!

Steve.

Hello Steve.

I'm doing the stronglifts 5x5 programme, which can be found here: www.stronglifts.com

It works for someone who wants to lose fat and gain a bit of muscle. It's better than cardio, because you work your muscles explosively and spend more calories.

The website looks like it wants to sell you something but it doesen't, you can read everything for free there!

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Could never give up the booze completely, but at least I'm more a real cider/ale drinker concerned with quality over quantity and I only drink on the weekends - at little of what you fancy does good ;)

Still at the gym 3 times a week - 30minutes resistance on shoulders, back, chest (genetically my biceps/triceps are fairly developed, so nothing specific for them), quads. Calves are chiselled from 12 months on a single speed race bike :D
60minutes c.v split between 30 on the cross-trainer and the remaining on the bikes, rowing machine and arm cycle (odd machine).
I also walk the 2.5miles to the gym and back.

Diet consists of:
Breakfast - porridge with honey or 2x seeded toast with honey. About an hour later I'll have pink grapefruit with my only coffee of the day.
Lunch - usually some kind of fish, mixed with salsa, chillis, olives. Eaten with oat cakes.
Dinner - meat! Bacon, beef, chicken - anything! With plenty of veg., but not potatoes or any else carby.
Snacks - fruit usually, but the proximity of the biscuit barrel at work means I might snaffle a couple :D
Drinks - other than my morning Joe, its been replaced with green tea and plenty of water.

Its better for me to be in a routine - weekends throw me off this, but I'm (usually) not too naughty!

Not weighed myself since the 20ish of January - I'll keep it to a monthly thing. No need to do it everytime I visit the throne ;)

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I went to my local weight watchers meeting last night. I emptied a box of Maltesers across the floor and it was best game of Hungry Hippos i ever seen.

I got told off for jokes in the joke forum so hope this one is ok guys :)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
No loss this week but am on the smallest hole of my belt for the first time in ages. Didn't manage to get out on the hills this week as the weather has been too bad.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No loss this week but am on the smallest hole of my belt for the first time in ages. Didn't manage to get out on the hills this week as the weather has been too bad.

"Deck of Cards" circuit inside then. Get a card deck , assign exercises and shuffle!!! example;- Hearts=Squats , Diamond=Push ups ,Clubs=Situps/Leg raises , Spades= Bench Dips.
Numbers=How many of a certain execise you do.

Have Fun!!!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
"Deck of Cards" circuit inside then. Get a card deck , assign exercises and shuffle!!! example;- Hearts=Squats , Diamond=Push ups ,Clubs=Situps/Leg raises , Spades= Bench Dips.
Numbers=How many of a certain execise you do.

Have Fun!!!

I'm still exercising - 40 minutes of fast walking/squats/push ups etc each end of the day but couldn't get any walking in as the weather was too cold to collect samples. Hopefully will get out tomorrow unless we get another frost.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
29th Dec - 15 st 8lb - 98.8kg
6th Jan - 15 st 3lb - 96.6kg
13th Jan - 14 st 13lb - 94.8kg
20th Jan - 14 st 12lb - 94.3kg
27th Jan - 14 st 11lb - 93.9kg
20th Feb - 14st 10lb - 93.4kg

Slow and steady wins the race!

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
21/12/11 - 15st 4lb / 97.0kg
23/01/12 - 15st 3lb / 96.8kg
20/02/12 - 14st 13lb/ 94.8kg

Slow and steady indeed :D Liking it, but will probably shift one (of three) of my gym days to a purely weights session from now on.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Interesting Thread.

I am about to restart a diet to lose weight. a lot of weight over the next year.

I am currently 169kg (28stone 7lbs) and i need to lose 63.5kg (10 Stone). I had lost 5.5 stone in the last 6 months of 2010, but last year will complex to say the least and I managed to gain it back.

The only think i am missing at the moment is a positive mental attitdue about it. Something i hope i will get back once i start the diet. One of my plans to keep up the moativation is lose weight for charity (Adoption UK, which is a charity our company donates money too)

Will update soon with progress.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE