New Year Weight Loss motivation thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
29th Dec - 15 st 8lb - 98.8kg
6th Jan - 15 st 3lb - 96.6kg
13th Jan - 14 st 13lb - 94.8kg
20th Jan - 14 st 12lb - 94.3kg
27th Jan - 14 st 11lb - 93.9kg

4.9kg lost since New Year. I celebrated with a Creme Egg!

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Lost another 2lbs this week, and achieved something ive never done before. Swim full length of pool without surfacing.

Hope everyone is happy with there weightloss and keeps it up :) :) :)
Thanks to Doc for starting this thread up :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
My last weigh in was sometime in December and was 15 1/2 stone at a height of 5ft 10" with a 35" waist. I have a bad back so thought shifting some weight and improving muscle strength would be a good idea.

I don't do BMI as it is nonsense if you have good muscle mass. I know when i'm at a healthy ratio and it's when I can see my lower abdominals at a weight 0f around 12 stone.

I was ill with a Flu type thing which knocked me off my feet for the first 3 weeks in January and lost my appetite and it's only this last week I have been able to get back in the gym.
Yesterday I weighed in at 13 stone 11 pounds which was welcome but I did loose some muscle and strength so that needs sorting. My goal is to be in the 12 stone range but with good muscle mass so another month or two should do the trick?

Steve

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right, I'm in on this.

Weighed today and I'm 16st 13, which is
a: My heaviest ever
b: A stone more than this time last year
c: Far too much

February is a nice convenient bunch of 28 days, so I'm hoping to make some progress to the end of the month, but really this has to be a long term thing.

The diet problems:
I eat waay too much sweet stuff - cakes, chocolate, biscuits etc. I show almost an addiction response when presented with them, like it is a fix. Have given them up before, but never held it for more than 6 weeks.
Vegetables in particular, have become almost non-existant in my diet.
I'm not cooking any more, just grabbing something quick, so I'm eating too much bread.
I eat whenever I get in the car, going via a shop whenever I go somewhere.
I'm eating more and more takeaways

Exercise:
Basically, I'm not doing enough. Or even close to enough.

Motivation:
Yesterday I bent over to pick something up and pulled a muscle in my back
I'm getting chafing on my thighs, purely because I'm fat. It hurts.

The plan:
Exercise more. Gym, home exercise, do more walking
Cut out the sweet stuff
Drink tea (which I take without sugar) instead of coffee (which I have with sugar)
Cook my meals, so they have more veg and fruit
Reduce my bread intake
Take a fruit bowl to work to offset the cakes and biscuits that are always there

I know I can make progress in the short term, it is keeping it going that is the problem, and really I need to make a total overhaul of my eating habits, which isn't easy when you've had those habits all of your life. However at current rates I'm getting heavier each year, which with a family history of diabetes and heart disease is a bad idea. I'm almost 43, and 3 years ago my gp told me to lose weight, and I wasn't anywhere near the weight I am now.

Going to take it steady. It took years to get into this shape, so I'm not expecting a quick fix. I taught human physiology for 6 years, so I know the dietary and physiological stuff. The issue is getting my habits into gear.

All help and tips appreciated.

Mike

P.s. Going to read this thread through from the start now and see what I learn. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've lost a full stone since new years now. Just by cutting out takeaways and eating smaller portions.

I find it helps to buy smaller dinner plates so theres a need to make less so it fits on :)

Seems to be working so far. :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've lost a full stone since new years now. Just by cutting out takeaways and eating smaller portions.

I find it helps to buy smaller dinner plates so theres a need to make less so it fits on :)

Seems to be working so far. :)

Actually taking the time to chew and savour the food also works surprisingly well.

< Just re-read that , sounds a bit snotty!! Wasn't the intention. Just in todays world of rushed lunchbreaks and snaffled dinners we tend to forget to enjoy the food. The French I think have a better appreciation of Lunch Break!! >

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Actualyy taking the time to chew and savour the food also works surprisingly well.
I ain't got time to chew lol

Seriously though, yeah that does work, you also feel fuller after eating less too. Drink a glass of water before your meal and your laughing all the way to the scales ;)

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Right, I'm in on this.

All help and tips appreciated.

Mike

P.s. Going to read this thread through from the start now and see what I learn. :)

I know exactly what you mean!

For me the first couple of weeks really were a bit of a killer, too much of a body shock really but it was a case of "I am going to get through this and stop grazing at work". A couple of things really helped me out;

The first is really obvious but it took a few days to prove it. I never eat breakfast on work days but after I started making the effort to have some cereal in a morning it actually knocked on to having no problems getting through the morning and then being sensible at lunch.

The other was some things Doc said and I really don't care he was talking about women and chocolate fixes. Options is only around 50 cals but cons your body into satisfying the urge to wander over to the shops and pickup something really damaging! Drinking a good amount of water 15 mins before a meal has been useful.

With my job lack of exercise is an issue so I decided this time to really cut back so I am probably a bit calorific deficient at the moment and eventually tipping the balance into metabolising the excesses but lifestyle changes will have to happen. If the scales are to be believed I had a really good end to last week but I am going to give it a couple more days to be certain.

Upside ... I am certainly feeling better for it
Downside .... Craghopper Kiwis that are now falling off me :lmao:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good stuff guys.

HillBill's comment about smaller plates is evidence-based. There's been a fair bit of research on this, and giving people bigger bowls/plates does make them eat more.

Regarding eating slowly - this does reduce intake, but an even better way is to eat the first half of the meal at the normal speed, and then slow down for the last half. In research studies this is better than eating the whole meal slowly, though why I do not know.

The low cal choc drinks are 40-50 cals, and maybe aren't brilliant nutritionally. But if you have one as an alternative to a large slice of tiramisu, with cream on the side...they're pretty good.

There's also been research done on putting containers of chocolates in the work place. A transparent container results in more chocs been eaten than from an opaque container. Putting the chocs on someone's desk results in more being eaten than if they are put on a table two feet away. No surprises there, but it does show that many things influence the decision to eat something, and genuine hunger is often not a major influence. As they say - don't shop for food when you're hungry.

Anyway, keep it going guys. I'm told by my gym-going friends that most of the 'New Year new faces' have already quit. But it's now a month into the new year and as a group we are still going strong. Any more late starters are welcome. It's the ideal time to lose some weight - in three months spring will be here, we'll be wearing less heavy clothes and it's good to look a bit more in shape when in shirtsleeves. And of course, there will be more daylight, which means more outdoors time, so it will be easier to keep the weight off.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
3rd Feb - 14st 11lb - 93.9kg

No weight loss this week but a relative commented that I looked slimmer :)

Had a 'big fat weekend' last weekend at a 21st party followed by back to back shoot days in the last days of the season with hot pot for lunch followed by desserts. No parties this weekend, only chores!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
3rd Feb - 14st 11lb - 93.9kg

No weight loss this week but a relative commented that I looked slimmer :)

Had a 'big fat weekend' last weekend at a 21st party followed by back to back shoot days in the last days of the season with hot pot for lunch followed by desserts. No parties this weekend, only chores!

Good work! You seem easily on track for your goal. Don't fixate on the scales too much.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Send some my way lol i am one of those who cant put weight on. under weight for my size. I eat what i think is a good size meal, dont squeeze it in so there is no room left. would love to put a stone on, get cold in the winter.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Send some my way lol i am one of those who cant put weight on. under weight for my size. I eat what i think is a good size meal, dont squeeze it in so there is no room left. would love to put a stone on, get cold in the winter.

That's easy mars bar for breakfast lunch and dinner:lmao:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland

Beer, Haribo and Chocolate Hobnobs - worked for me!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
My report is much like Bowlanders. In the past week the scales haven't moved much - now 78.3kg, so only 300g weight loss.

However, I'm looking much slimmer too and the belt is two notches tighter than when I started, so I'm quite happy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE