new words for old

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Whilst dining? in kfc yesterday with swmbo and no1 daughter, I reaslied that swmbo really does read posts over my shoulder...... When I asked my daughter if she wanted a 'fenna' for her coleslaw swmbo (without losing a beat) handed her one of their plastic sporks!

so, do you have any other 'new' words for old ones that you now use? perhaps we can start our own bcuk dictionary.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The one that comes to mind here is "swinger", meaning someone who camps using a hammock. I don't think that's the usual accepted meaning for the word :rolleyes:

Biker

Wouldn't it be rather amusing if everyone and his dog referred to Sporks as Fennas hereafter :naughty:.

Perhaps in 20 years time there could even be an article on Wikipedia about why the name spork died out in favour of a Fenna. Now wouldn't that be worth see a wizened old Welshman spray his Horlicks over the nurses.

I wish I could add a phrase or word that replaced an older word but the minds a blank at the moment. Too worn out from spending the day working and puzzling out how to build a walk in wardrobe for a customer in the eaves of their loft. Talk about pulling a rabbit from a top hat! I can only assume they think I'm up to the task.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
We, as a family, have used the expression "Fenna trade/purchase" for a few years. it means an exchange of goods where money is not mentioned.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
We, as a family, have used the expression "Fenna trade/purchase" for a few years. it means an exchange of goods where money is not mentioned.

I Like that too! - I didn't mean to offend John though :( sorry mate

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wouldn't it be rather amusing if everyone and his dog referred to Sporks as Fennas hereafter :naughty:.

Perhaps in 20 years time there could even be an article on Wikipedia about why the name spork died out in favour of a Fenna. Now wouldn't that be worth see a wizened old Welshman spray his Horlicks over the nurses.

I wish I could add a phrase or word that replaced an older word but the minds a blank at the moment. Too worn out from spending the day working and puzzling out how to build a walk in wardrobe for a customer in the eaves of their loft. Talk about pulling a rabbit from a top hat! I can only assume they think I'm up to the task.

When I die I will come back and haunt you for even thinking that!

Biker

I had a similar experience while at the Moot... but not quite the same... more like...

saupload_ljjmpduoq7ek5zq0jlypqypy_400.jpg

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Jes' kidding John.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't think that it should be just any old Spork that gets the name of Fenna, personally I feel that dilutes its true meaning and "Fenna" should be reserved only for pink sporks.

Does anyone on here ever put words onto The Urban Dictionary? Can't say I've done any yet...

Biker

I don't think that it should be just any old Spork that gets the name of Fenna, personally I feel that dilutes its true meaning and "Fenna" should be reserved only for pink sporks.

Does anyone on here ever put words onto The Urban Dictionary? Can't say I've done any yet...

Welllllll, I sorta disagree, because the mere association with the name of Fenna to anything Sporky would be teeth-grinding enough for the individual concerned. Maybe the pink ones could be be "Johns". I'm resisting taking this any further by mentioning the slang name for condoms.... ooops I did it.

John "Sporky" Fenna, we do this because we care enough about you to want your name to live on into the bright future of Bushcraft lore.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There was a thread a few days ago where someone refered to Aspergers as asparagus soup. I was tickled with that and thought as a cute pet name it could be a collective noun for a group of focused folk. Please I hope no offence is taken as it was said nicely on the thread and when replied to no-one seemed to take it. A couple of friends on the spectrum also thought it was funny.
Maybe not bushcrafty but it came from BBUK.

Oh and we use the phrase "Bear Grylls expedition" for staying in a hotel.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Among my friends 'Hobbit Camping' is where you do your best to cook as gourmet a meal as possible while wild camping (and quaffing real ale). Ideally involving carrying a large cast iron frying pan strapped to your pack, at the expense of logic and better judgement :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE