The Medlar Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love trees. All sorts of trees. It’s a love that came to me later in life but, as in most passions, the more I learned about them, the more I wanted to know. I suspect those that read this blog may have gathered that about me from some of the posts (e.g. apple tree grafting). But the truth is oh so much worse. In our little plot we are cultivating around 50 species of trees. From the relatively mundane Blackthorn to the extremely rare True Service.

Two trees I have always wanted to grow are black mulberry and medlar. Most people have at least heard of a mulberry from the nursery rhyme if nothing else, but the term “medlar” most often evokes a blank stare. Blokes can be made to want one simply by letting them know that its old nickname was “the dogs bum tree”. However delicate ladies have to be won over by telling them that the fruit is only palatable when decomposing. You really want one now don’t you?

Anyway I was discussing this one day with my Mum (who has been an amazing source of inspiration and support to us in getting this place up and running – we could never have done it without her).

So what did she do? Yup bought us one of each! This is the lovely, healthy half standard medlar “Nottingham” that we received in March 2014 (pot grown so fine to plant out). I wanted the Nottingham variety as it is reputed to have the best flavour.

12953250573_c6a26a12cc_z.jpg

We planted it in a deep, well fertilised hole and replaced the wood chip mulch that does so much to retain moisture and suppress weeds

12953250103_ed2dd2914f_z.jpg

and by April it was leafing up

13671343475_e4fe6a4194_z.jpg

The gold finches certainly approve

16900301488_c033d374bf_z.jpg

I think it’s a very attractive tree. Its leaves bring to mind the shape of horse chestnut leaves and the flower buds are almost like a roses (this taken in April)

13876613065_c1d1ec8859_z.jpg

By May the flowers open and still, to me, bring dog rose to mind

14007409060_7d32bf8c26_z.jpg

Last year we removed all the fruit to allow the tree to put its energy into rooting and establishing itself. This year we allowed a number of fruit to develop. Perhaps the origin of the nickname is apparent from this picture?

22993522195_f54e2c9b8e_z.jpg

Fruits should be picked late October to early November. They are hard and unpalatable at this stage.

22575162538_5d30f32376_z.jpg

The fruit need to be set aside somewhere cool for a couple of weeks to blet. Great word “blet” it means to ripen to softness.

(We must keep words like this in use – we have a wonderful rich language. I sned but never with a snath)

22600015449_4d56a44e0a_z.jpg

After two weeks the fruit are soft to the touch – a squeeze and the ripened pulp oozes out. The look may be unappealing, but the taste is spicy and delicious. The nearest I can get is stewed apple with cloves.

22371068623_75b9005481_z.jpg

The fruit contains four or five hard seeds. I am keeping a few to grow some more medlar trees. I will have to graft them on to a Quince A rootstock – but that’s no great chore.

22992249095_77b7c11cdc_z.jpg

Hopefully in a few weeks the quince my lovely wife has bought will turn up and complete our collection of old fruits.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mulberries are great wasp magnets.

If you love wasps...Get a mulberry tree.

And the fruit have about a half hour optimum ripeness window (and about 6 wasps on each one.)

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I have a medlar tree which we pass on our walk, didn't know about the "dugs bum", still in fruit this morning,

Will have to pick some and let them blet...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shame to waste them. They do blet on the tree, so if theres a soft one, give it a squeeze and see how you like it.

They are supposed to make an awesome jelly too

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've heard of them but never seen the fruit. I can see how fruit that looks like a dogs backside and you only eat when its going soft might not do well on the Tesco fruit and veg isle but Ill look out for them now.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Shame to waste them. They do blet on the tree, so if theres a soft one, give it a squeeze and see how you like it.

They are supposed to make an awesome jelly too

I collect about 20 - 30 lbs. of Medlars each year for a very old woman near us who makes the jelly with them and I get a few jars of it for my trouble; it's my preferred way to eat them, although I do squeeze a few and eat the paste each season. I think they're an exquisite, if acquired, taste and I'm really pleased to see somebody cultivating them anew and potentially giving them a new lease of life. Excellent post, BR :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE