New Woodlore Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
tomtom said:
does the fire steel only fit upside down?

Looks like it.

Is the steel tied to the bottom of the sheath? how do you use it if the sheath is on your belt and the steel is tied on?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
shinobi said:
From the piccie, it looks like the steel is only fitted to the holder upside down because it is tied to the bottom of the sheath. You could place it upright by not tying it to the sheath.

Cheers,

Martin

Doesn't the bulge in the sheath stop it going in from the top Martin? I still can't see why it is tied to the sheath? How can you light a fire 2cm from your hip :?:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The lanyard runs through the hole in the sheath.

If you hold the tinder against the knife in one hand and the firesteel in the other, you can get it going. I would prefer to have some kind of clip so you could easily unhook the firesteel. A longer loop would just catch on the brush.

You could also just slip the sheath off.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
tenbears10 said:
Doesn't the bulge in the sheath stop it going in from the top Martin? I still can't see why it is tied to the sheath? How can you light a fire 2cm from your hip :?:
It's hard to tell from the picture how much of a bulge there is. If the steel is the same as mine, it's quite flat so it should slide in ok.
Maybe P7perfect or one of the other owners could tell us whether it is possible to insert the steel from the top?

Martin

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I think the idea is to `thread` a loop of lanyard through the hole, then `thread` the fire steel through this loop on the other side. A sort of prussik knot - if you get what I mean..

I do this on my Woodlore as I carry the steel upside down so if it falls out it wont be going anywhere, just dangle on the lanyard.

Feb 26, 2005
yorkshire
Nice set up, can i ask is that a Wilkinson knife or an Alan Wood?

If it's a Wilkinson the picture on the woodlore site does no justice to the quality of wood used on the handle.

Patrick

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
according to the blurb on ray mears dot com, the sixty quid whetstone/firesteel sheath won't fit the alan wood models :?: so i guess it's ws.

it does look sweet though, so far i've happily resisted buying a woodlore.......

cheers, and.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
sargey said:
according to the blurb on ray mears dot com, the sixty quid whetstone/firesteel sheath won't fit the alan wood models :?: so i guess it's ws.

it does look sweet though, so far i've happily resisted buying a woodlore.......

cheers, and.

DOH! :cry:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
sargey said:
according to the blurb on ray mears dot com, the sixty quid whetstone/firesteel sheath won't fit the alan wood models :?:

Anyone know why when both knives are the same dimentions?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE