New type of WK pot hanger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Thinking of doing some pot hangers like this. :red:
WKNewpothanger.png

The arm over the fire is on a swivel that goes around the upright. It is height adjustable by a moveable pin under the swivel. Hopefully (if I can source some) the pin will be attached to the upright by a piece of chain so it does not get lost.
Any comments/ideas welcome

PM if you want one making to order ;)

They will cost £20 including postage etc

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Looking forward to seeing one of these Fire Cranes.

I have made a few by wrapping the arm around the upright (forms a metal Prussik)

DSC01459.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

The chain on one of the arms is only used to provide extra support (it was a heavy Dutch Oven).

These systems are great for keeping the area around the fire clear when kids are around.

Cheers

George

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Thats not a bad idea, having a chain from the top to the end of the hanger, would help support the weight a bit.

It is only needed for heavy pots.

If the arm was proper wrought iron (I used rolled metal bars) you would probably not need the chain.

Enough configurations (of hooks and curves) on the arms can allow you to hang pots with bail handles and ones without.

George

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Nice one Seoras.
I reckon the same. The horizontal piece will hold me without bending so no problems with a pot or DO. It's the vertical bit needs reinforcing due to the bolt holes ;)
Two ways to stop it tipping
1) Tilt it backwards but it will not be so stable when turning
2) Safer way, knock it further into the ground

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Two ways to stop it tipping
1) Tilt it backwards but it will not be so stable when turning
2) Safer way, knock it further into the ground

Cheers Kev

I have found a slight angle to the upright and it is still stable when moving a pot round. Too much and a pot can swing round quickly.

Knocking it into the ground I use either a wooden pile driver first then slot the upright into the hole.

To save time I sometimes just use any decent sized log (a round preferred) to drive the upright in. This though can bend the upright in some cases.

For your system I would think a wooden pile driver (fire hardened stake) driven into the ground would be advisable.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE