new lofty dvd - anyone seen it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 10, 2008
Manchester
How can a lawyer generalise like this?

Err - because I wasn't aware their was any reason why I couldn't!

OK - so it seems that policy here is to slap down anything not liked by one person or another who has posted a lot which they think gives them the right. This is a pity as I was glad I found this site but now feel no option but to 'vote with my feet' so to speak. Anyone can feel free to be excluded from "all" - but why post stating so. How grand you are.

Bye.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
everyone has differing knowledge and ways of doing things, the lofty way is often different oto the mears or mors way and so its variety has value. also a lot of 'experts' are often too far up their own egos to realise the value of something which may improve their teaching techniques or indeed may be a learning tool they can lend out to give people a rough idea of what to expect or indeed armchair learning.

if you are a good learner them a lot of bushcraft and survival skills and knowledge can be absorbed without the need for destroying woodland or buying a titanium cookset with ventile carry sack.

if you are a good teacher then you would always be looking for a better way of doing things which is why a lot of us cruise youtube and metacafe for usefull/useable clips.

people like lofty and mors are a valuable resource and they should be tapped before they run out. how much has been lost from those before them like eddie mcgee who is no longer with us. its a shame they havent done a mors dvd but having sat through several lectures and spoken at length with him around the fire I imagine editing it would be a bugger :)

I imagine lofty's photoalbum is more exiting that rays........ even if its probably in black and white :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
How can a lawyer generalise like this?

"We can all learn something from a DVD like this otherwise why buy it?".....

Having respect for the opinion of other members whom post opinions of thier own with which you disagree is not your strong point, clearly!

Neither is civility!

You denigrade a fellow member based on their profession when they express their opinion, yet you clearly have learned something, which is that you believe that your skill level places you above the target audience of this DVD.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Actually no, I was being told what my opinion should be based on the purchase of a dvd.

and DAMN... one small diference of opinion and you're getting all uppity... impressive :p

Nov 10, 2008
surrey
sorry but rambo cames to mind, there was a saying once a little knowledge is dangerous to those who say thy no and they clear dont

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Umm, interesting how a thread about Loftys DVD can turn into a personal sniping match, I've a few issues with a few of you.

Firstly, let the thread continue so that people can see what opinions are on the DVD, that's what this is about. If you're incapable of doing that and feel you have to have a snipe stay out of the thread.

rebeccaw, what you've written below is rubbish

OK - so it seems that policy here is to slap down anything not liked by one person or another who has posted a lot which they think gives them the right. This is a pity as I was glad I found this site but now feel no option but to 'vote with my feet' so to speak. Anyone can feel free to be excluded from "all" - but why post stating so. How grand you are.

Bye.

Feel free to vote with your feet, you've come on here and your first post is sniping, you've now posted 4 times, all in this thread, bit of pot and kettle that.

And Woods23, Don't use the forum for your own ends, take it on the chin mate when people aren't keen on something you are, use the forum again for self promotion and I'll ban you. Most of us love Lofty, we've got his book, DVD's and all sorts, used to carry it with me all over the place, but hey, this is people's opinion on a product and as long as it's not personal they can give it and those that are interested in improving or getting some market research can read it and take it on board.

3 new members joined just to post in here, funny that :thinkerg:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
In light of his recent TV program I've written to Peter Kay and asked him to do a DVD and I suggested a title. I thought it could be called
" The all new bushcraft survival outdoor SAS woodcraft hobo stove review"
to be authored by Ray 'lofty' Hiddins-Hood

Lighten up chaps(esses)!:)

Alan

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
its a shame they havent done a mors dvd but having sat through several lectures and spoken at length with him around the fire I imagine editing it would be a bugger :)

I've got 4 DVDs by Mors and while the guy is second to none for his knowledge and enthusiam in real life, teaching to camera gets the information over, but does not show Mors as the bushcraft Yoda he is. :)

Back on topic.
I thought the Trueways DVD was a well presented showing of some basic bushcraft skills. Worth a watch if you are new to it all. I'm always interested to see how other people do things but was a bit disappointed not to learn anything new.

My 2p worth. :)
Stu

Jan 22, 2006
uk
so the overall impression is that the dvd is maybe a tad basic for some, but a great learning tool if either you are perhaps new to this..or just love revisiting familiar topics.

I'll grab myself the dvd at some point soon - as much to just watch for fun as anything else. You cant really have too much info in my opinion, and trueways seem worth supporting.

I've always found attitudes like Lofty's are as much an inspiration as the information he's passing on, more power to him.

cheers

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Ok mine arrived and between changing nappies I watched all of it.
My honest opinion:
This dvd will make a very good introduction as a tv program.
The reason I say this is that there was lots of interesting information but it skimed the surface somewhat, which I found a shame as I was expecting a little bit more in depth.
So.. in short I find this an informative reather than instructional dvd.

Would I buy it having seen it.. yes I would

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got 4 DVDs by Mors and while the guy is second to none for his knowledge and enthusiam in real life, teaching to camera gets the information over, but does not show Mors as the bushcraft Yoda he is. :)

Stu

How do you rate Mors DVDs Stu ? Are they all useful ?

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
How do you rate Mors DVDs Stu ? Are they all useful ?

Useful info but the presentation to camera is a bit dull as he seems to speak in a monotone voice. If we get a decent bit of snow I might have a go at making some snowshoes from sticks. The Axe and knife instruction is good. Full credit to Mors in that they are all filmed outside in the snow and it looks pretty cold and miserable.

He is really enthusiastic in real life so I expected the same from the DVDs. Wouldn't mind going on one of his courses though.

Star Ratings here

Stu

G

Gripper

Hi,

I picked up a great copy of an old Lofty film this week. It's called "Outdoor Survival" with Lofty Wiseman and hosted by a guy called Steve King. They sit around in a studio talking about techniques and then cut to Lofty show techniques in the bush. It's about 1hr 35min long and must be about 20 years old I reckon. Very watchable though...

I'll see if I can upload a screen grab from the show.

Mark

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
seems wierd an aussie watching a lofty vid with all that les hiddins stuff down there :)

who's that kiwi guy I see kicking aorund every now and again on survival story type shows. big stocky fella.

G

Gripper

Hi Crazydave,

I'm from Surrey, been here for about 10 years so grew up with Lofty etc. Don't see too much of Les down here anymore, a bit like Lofty I guess, both getting older... I did see Les here in Perth a few years back at a 4x4 show where he was promoting Land Rover, think they did a Bush Tucker Man special edition.

Not sure on the Kiwi guy. Anyone else got a name for him??

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE