new lofty dvd - anyone seen it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
lots of the dvd seems to be Lofty sitting in a darkened room talking. Then we cut to some students avidly listening to the instructors. Not that much in it if im honest.

Its hard to make somebody feel welcome when their first post is slagging someone off. If you cant see that, then im wasting my breath.

Nov 10, 2008
Hiya,
anyone seen it ye t? I'm not particularly into survival as such but Lofty is a Don, and i'm tempted to give it a go.
cheers

lofty wiseman and chris caine, are the reason i got into bushcraft. they were inspirational. thier new dvd is fantastic everyone should watch it.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
REALLY basic skills covered.

Fairly dissapointed really as I'm not in to taking dumps on snooker tables nor seeing lofty sitting in a mastermind chair rather than demonstrating survival skills.

Nov 10, 2008
surrey
If you lot watched the dvd you would see lofty still is quite capable of doing the field stuff as well, its a shame you bushcrafters have got your head in the sand .i think its a great dvd for everyone to learn from.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Errr... I kinda did watch the DVD.. after buying it and having it delivered.

I also did not say that lofty (or anyone else for that matter) was incapable.

So by having an opinion that isn't gushing and encouraging everyone and their advanced bushcrafting ventile wearing pet to go out and buy this I thus have my head in the sand? I think not.

Opinion police aside - I was still dissapointed... and guess what... I am allowed to be :D

have you watched it?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I like this DVD.

Well done lads.

It covers all the basic skills focussed around the use of the Trueways Survival Tin. Some may not like this form of advertising which I have paid to watch but it is a subject that interests me, so who cares.

How about a follow up DVD focussed on many of the skills that were just discussed such as making a deadfall trap, making cordage from nettles and carving skills to name a few.

I have though picked up quite a few tips from this DVD which I will be passing on in my classes.

George

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Lofty is one of my Dad's old mates.
Excellent, cheers guys, now I know what to get the old man for christmas.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
It's a basic surival techniques DVD that's what it says on the tin so for me it is spot on many subjects shown in steps and well explained, if it went into everything in depth and covered all the additional stuff it would be twice as long. That would'nt be a bad thing I'll grant you but I think their doing a follow up where it does go into more subject and revisits some of the basics going into more detail but when I don't know, cut the guys some slack for what it is it's great in my book it does'nt pretend to be an all encompassing DVD. It's the perfect thing for someone just starting out but there are plenty who have been into bushcraft a long time can still pick up a tip or two from watching it, I'm not too proud to admit I have and I did the military course with Lofty in the 70s.

Nov 13, 2008
As always, everyone should be allowed their own opinion on all matters, so here is mine;

I recieved my DVD last Friday, so on a wet and miserable Saturday afternoon I sat down and watched the whole thing from start to finish. Firstly I have to say that the quality of the DVD is excellent and the presentation is very proffesional. As someone has already said, actually seeing these basic skills demonstrated is far more informative than reading a book. Having read most of Lofty Wisemans publications, I found that actually watching and listening to the "man" and the rest of the Trueways team going through all the principles of basic survival skills to be quite enthralling. Being fairly new to Bushcraft/survival, I found this DVD absolutley fascinating, and can highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in this kind of thing. As it says on the cover, it is a survival skills DVD and nothing else, so give these guys at Trueways a pat on the back, I for one will be heading out into the woods in the very near future, happy with this extra knowledge that I have gained through watching this DVD. Well done !

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
As always, everyone should be allowed their own opinion on all matters, so here is mine;

I recieved my DVD last Friday, so on a wet and miserable Saturday afternoon I sat down and watched the whole thing from start to finish. Firstly I have to say that the quality of the DVD is excellent and the presentation is very proffesional. As someone has already said, actually seeing these basic skills demonstrated is far more informative than reading a book. Having read most of Lofty Wisemans publications, I found that actually watching and listening to the "man" and the rest of the Trueways team going through all the principles of basic survival skills to be quite enthralling. Being fairly new to Bushcraft/survival, I found this DVD absolutley fascinating, and can highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in this kind of thing. As it says on the cover, it is a survival skills DVD and nothing else, so give these guys at Trueways a pat on the back, I for one will be heading out into the woods in the very near future, happy with this extra knowledge that I have gained through watching this DVD. Well done !

Ooooh! Lofty, you are a wag..:lmao: :lmao:

(It's alright everyone..calm down I'm only kiddin' :D :D )

Nov 11, 2008
Norway
I take it that none is gonna rip it and upload it to some public torrent tracker? :p

From what I've read in this post it looks like the new DVD is just like the old movie. Have I understood it correctly?

Thanks. Pikknick.

Nov 10, 2008
Manchester
I take it that none is gonna rip it.........

Thanks. Pikknick.

Pikknick - surely you're not requesting illegal activity? Mods - I would remove that last post if I were you. I am a lawyer and wouldn't recommend you leave such things on your forum.

Anyway - I received the DVD having bought it after posting here the other day and suspense got the better of me so I watched it before wrapping it up (i know, i know) and here's my view.

It's very professional and very informative. This Lofty chap clearly knows his stuff having really been there, done that. For something over 2 hours long I have to say it's got so much stuff in it I would need to watch it over to pick many of the things up. For some of you I'm sure these are basic skills, but they are covered and demonstrated really well - not something I've seen from other DVD's or programs from the same genre. There's a good mix of interview, demonstration in the woods, diagrams and images along with what seems at a brief glance to be an excellent navigation based menu system.

It's obvious to me that some people think they already know it all, well all I'll say is that the day you think that is the day you'll get caught out. We can all learn something from a DVD like this otherwise why buy it? I have personally been involved in a production myself in the past (nothing to do with Bushcraft I might add) and I know putting a DVD like that together, keeping everything in order, technically correct and making the navigation work must have take a great deal of work and professionalism.

So to summarise, I take my hat off to Mr Wiseman and the team at Trueways. It was a well spent £24.99. I learned a lot from it and I'm sure my brother will really enjoy it on Christmas day.

Nov 11, 2008
Norway
Pikknick - surely you're not requesting illegal activity? Mods - I would remove that last post if I were you. I am a lawyer and wouldn't recommend you leave such things on your forum.

ouch! :p was a joke, looks like it was a bad one thou :(.. Just remove it ^^, really just wanted to know if the new one was anything like the old one ^^,

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
How can a lawyer generalise like this?

"We can all learn something from a DVD like this otherwise why buy it?"

firstly, I love loearning and try to always do so, I don't have an ego that gets in the way of me learning from those wiser than I but I didn't get anything out of this dvd. I'm not saying I know everything (I'm sure some people would be too quick to call me a "know it all" but I'm a "know it a bit" kind of person) but I had have all the information already that was on this DVD and have tried it in the woods.

So, all ego or pride aside, I didn't learn something from this dvd so I would like to be excluded from "all" please.

Why buy it? because I had hoped for something new and informative and interesting, I would have thought that was obvious.

It's not black and white, it's not fantastic or utter tosh... it's good if you're new to being in the woods and it's good if you want basic knowledge and to see how to build a shelter if you haven't tried before.

If you have spent a bit of time in the woods and are still healthy I would suggest this DVD would obviously be less value for money. it's very simple but people seem to get so worked up about it all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE