New Light My Fire Firesteel 2.0

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thought the ergos looked interesting on this so bought one. It's a smart move for no extra cost by LMF as the design certainly stands out from the huge amount of clones out there, and it is nicely branded and offered in numerous colours in the scout sized version. The army is only available in black at the time of writing and is the version I bought.

DSC08015.jpg

The striker is a huge improvement, feels natural and grips better in the hand to give the rod a strong scrape which should reduce the need for repetitive strokes. This is due to a big depression for the thumb and comfortable rounded back. One really nifty feature is the built in high pitched whistle built into it. I thought that was a nice touch.

DSC08016.jpg

The firesteel itself is larger than the old one, and also larger than the Woodlore version. The thumb depression is present on this too, but due to the high ridge at the top near the lanyard hole, actually digs into the thumb and is not as comfortable or as easy to hold as the striker. It also doesn't allow easy strking at other sides of the rod as you wear it down, which I like to do. The Woodlore version handle is perfect for this. Saying that though, I usually choke up on the rod and scrape the last cm or so and was very easy to control in that way due to the larger rounded handle back. So for anyone else that uses that method, all is OK

DSC08018.jpg

One major flaw on this is for those of you with loops on your knife sheaths. It doesn't fit well made sheaths with tight tolerances that allow the handle to sit further down the sheath. This is the furthest I could get it into my loop.....

DSC08017.jpg

It does however fit well on other types..

DSC08014.jpg

It's a nice visual package, the striker is brilliant. In my opinion though, the firesteel itself was let down by the high ridge at the rear of the depression. This was the larger army version, so I'd be interested to test out the scout.

58-firesteel-blau.jpg

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Very nice, good review and nice pics, cheers.

Combine that striker with the BCB steel with compass built in and thats three survival essentials in one item! Also fixes the probs with the above steel, expensive way round it though...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Very nice, good review and nice pics, cheers.

Combine that striker with the BCB steel with compass built in and thats three survival essentials in one item! Also fixes the probs with the above steel, expensive way round it though...

Good news is, you get a striker with every firesteel. There will be plenty of spares floating around in no time.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good review JD

Just looking to replace one at the moment so I'l give one these a try.

What's the diameter, I think I can probably squeeze one into my sheath if I wet form it.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Be good if the whistle was in the rod handle,never usually use the striker.

Hmmn,another idea to think about.

Thanks Jonathan.

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
Here´s the scout.
keychain.jpg

I have it on my keychain and it works really well.

Just looking at your pic and wondering have you tried using a key as the striker? could be an idea if it works (and doesn't wear your key down too much)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just tried it with a normal yale key, and with the tip got great sparks, and by squaring the flat top a bit, it's just as good as the striker that came with it.

Added: the edge does go after one or two strikes though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE