New knife - recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Hi all,

I am looking for a new knife and thought I would come to the masses for recommendations.

I am looking to upgrade from my Mora black to a more substantial full tan knife with wood handle and wondered what you recommend.

Budget is between £50 - £150
Open to all suggestions.

I have seen the TBS Grizzly which looks really nice but there is only 1 review I can find.
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...oar-on-steroids---natural-micarta-16591-p.asp

Leading towards this one just now but do not want to limit the possibilities.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
hillbill certainly could make you a knife.....if i were to have one of his it would be an "eagle", in fact i will be having one at some point

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Not shocked there aren't many reviews as the TBS Grizzly has only been out a few weeks. Frankly mate if Mark Hill (Hill Bill) says he will make you one for £150 can I suggest you RIP HIS ARM OFF!

Custom knife at the price if a Fallkniven! Crikey.

Mark has just finished a custom knife for me. Check out the thread under Kit Chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Hill bill would get my vote. Or maybe a blank and handle it yourself if your budget doesnt reach the completed spec/style you want

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
I could make you something for that price mate. :)

My website link is in my sig below.

Sounds great! I will check out your website and be in touch!

Thanks to all for the other comments and recommendations! I will keep you posted on what the outcome is :)

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Well I am pleased to say that Mark (hillbill) has agreed to do me my own knife! So glad I posted on here now as never even thought I would get a custom knife within budget! Especially with the quality of his knives on his website! So super chuffed that Mark said he would do it!

Should be about 4 weeks and I will be the proud owner of a Mark Hill knife! Will share pics later down the line!

Thanks again Mark I can't wait to see the final result!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I have just used my knife all weekend on a course at Wildway Bushcraft. Just cleaning the residue off the blade and it sliced 4 layers of cotton to open up my finger!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well I am pleased to say that Mark (hillbill) has agreed to do me my own knife! So glad I posted on here now as never even thought I would get a custom knife within budget! Especially with the quality of his knives on his website! So super chuffed that Mark said he would do it!

Should be about 4 weeks and I will be the proud owner of a Mark Hill knife! Will share pics later down the line!

Thanks again Mark I can't wait to see the final result!
No worries mate :)

I have just used my knife all weekend on a course at Wildway Bushcraft. Just cleaning the residue off the blade and it sliced 4 layers of cotton to open up my finger!

Haha :) How did it perform on the course?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Well, the guys were all a little intimidated by the size but nothing new there and honestly I am hung like a rhino and have broad shoulders.

Built a few things using it. Battons better than I thought for a 6mm blade. Razor sharp and edge retention awesome. No staining from loads of green wood and bramble cordage

Once they saw I could do everything they could with little fashion knives and I'm just comfortable with a knife like that they were cool. They all said it was an amazing knife.

I love it Mark it fits me to a tee.

"Jobs a fish!" As they say.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Well, the guys were all a little intimidated by the size but nothing new there and honestly I am hung like a rhino and have broad shoulders.

Built a few things using it. Battons better than I thought for a 6mm blade. Razor sharp and edge retention awesome. No staining from loads of green wood and bramble cordage

Once they saw I could do everything they could with little fashion knives and I'm just comfortable with a knife like that they were cool. They all said it was an amazing knife.

I love it Mark it fits me to a tee.

"Jobs a fish!" As they say.

Sounds like you got a cracking knife there Countryman! Although your finger probably feels different about it! Lol great feedback on the quality and edge retention though! Really looking forward to trying mine out soon!

We need pictures :)

I'm sure I won't let you down with a few pics!! Might even try my hand at a video!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE