New knife design... "The Crocodile"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi guys.

Just finished my first design for a hard use utility/survival knife... which i call The Crocodile.

Its based on my Eagle design, as that knife is very comfortable and an excellent cutter, but beefed up and using top end materials.

The specs are..

4.5mm Elmax Steel, hardened to 60 RC
5" Blade
10" overall length.
Sabre grind
Green/black alternating layer G10 with Orange G10 liners.
Stainless corby bolts, and stainless tubes.

No sheath made yet...still working on a design for one.

The first 10 of these will be numbered... after the first 10, there will be no markings on them other than my stamp.

Comments welcome guys.... i'd appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I like the look of the eagle and at some point will get my hands on one. This version however looks a serious bit of kit. The orange liners had me hooked, but the grind looks interesting. Never tried a sabre, but I like the idea. Good strength but less drag than a scandi.

Seriously impressed :You_Rock_

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's great Mark! I love the take on 'survival' stuff without a preposterous sized blade. That's just about spot on as a stand up to abuse knife. Nice one :).

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Would have said lashing to something so you can reach to cut things.
For a spear you may as well just cut a point on the stick.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I like the look of the eagle and at some point will get my hands on one. This version however looks a serious bit of kit. The orange liners had me hooked, but the grind looks interesting. Never tried a sabre, but I like the idea. Good strength but less drag than a scandi.

Seriously impressed :You_Rock_
Cheers mate :)

That's great Mark! I love the take on 'survival' stuff without a preposterous sized blade. That's just about spot on as a stand up to abuse knife. Nice one :).
Thanks Cam :)

Like it. What's the thinking behind the 3 tubes?

Just a more secure way to lash it to a stick if needs be for cutting fruit and fungi down from trees etc... Thanks Mike. :)

I'm digging that knife. Interesting grind, too!

Nice.
the three holes . They for lashin to a piece of wood to make into a spear?

Kinda... was more thinking food collection rather than hunting, but it could be used as a spear... good way to lose you knife though i reckon. :D

Very nice indeed!

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Right handome, that thing will be a monster slicer n dicer!

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Liking that very much indeed. I would personally like 1" more on the blade which would make it a worse game knife but a better shelter building knife.....

Personal taste that though...fit and finish look first rate and good choice of materials.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Right handome, that thing will be a monster slicer n dicer!

Thanks, it should do... was designed to be a good cutter, while remaining strong, and keeping working with wood as something it will be good at.

Liking that very much indeed. I would personally like 1" more on the blade which would make it a worse game knife but a better shelter building knife.....

Personal taste that though...fit and finish look first rate and good choice of materials.

We're getting there Hugh, we're getting there :D Nearly at the end of my orders for the first time in years.....so i have time to play more..... i've not forgotten that other knife we spoke about either.... its still all tucked away waiting for a spare couple of days ;)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Nice I like that a lot.yer very talented.will the sheath have a pouch on for other survival odds n ends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks mate. :)

Not decided yet.... i suppose there is room for one as an extra if i choose not to put it on this first one. :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
For the sheath how about kydex. Can be made modular to carry bits and you can alter the carry to suit the user.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Now that Mark, is one of the most impressive designs I've seen in many a year. It's not often a knife design really makes me sit up and take notice, as, like you, I've seen bazillions. But this one does.

Clem mate, you need to order one of these so I can have a play. The handle, blade shape and swell look like it has a perfect ergonomic symmetry. Something it's very difficult to achieve.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I've held this knife and I have to say it is as comfortable as it is good looking.. even with my dodgy pinky after breaking it it still feels "right". love it :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think it does need Kydex. Solid retention and will not rot. Its not pretty, but it is functional and you don't want to have to baby a hard utility knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE