New knife being born...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Onwards and upwards, still not finished, it's set to receive it's Deval Bushcrafter engraving next so I don't sharpen until afterwards, the engravers prefer them blunt for some reason :rolleyes: :D

016.jpg

015.jpg

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Looks great! Why did you go for the flat grind instead of scandi John D? I don't think I've ever used a bushy knife with a flat grind so don't really know the benefits!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks great! Why did you go for the flat grind instead of scandi John D? I don't think I've ever used a bushy knife with a flat grind so don't really know the benefits!

I've got a couple with scandi and wanted something different. Last year Stu sent me a CF handled version in RWL that was full flat and I found that it performed just as well, if not better in certain tasks such as slicing. It certainly goes through thick branches deeper and quicker than a scandi, even the high ones I tend to prefer.

It's looking good Stu, can't wait to see it with the newer engraving and sheath.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Onwards and upwards, still not finished, it's set to receive it's Deval Bushcrafter engraving next so I don't sharpen until afterwards, the engravers prefer them blunt for some reason :rolleyes: :D

016.jpg

015.jpg

Did you use a lacquer or gloss on that stu or is it just highly polished?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I know you said the finish is just a high polish, but is the bone stabalized? i have never seen a decent bone handle knife for real so i dont know what can be achived with the natural product,

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah more grip issues Stu, I don't imagine Jon is going to let it be a draw queen forever :)

It will dull down after a few weeks of use. Saying that though, my antler version has seen loads of action this year and it still has a polished finish, but has lost the high gloss it had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE