New knife being born...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
I'll get better photos tomorrow mate....

By the way, I had a job on getting George away from the 'shop, can't think why....

IMG00138-20100909-1246.jpg

IMG00133-20100909-1209.jpg

I recognise that speedboat and divers cage in the background, great to see them being used Stu.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
am i the only one who's glad its gonna get used?...lol,...

its a gorgeousbit of kit theres no doubt,...

but it feels great using something that good looking,..

if you were married to a swimwear model would you sit her in a chair and just look at her???

lol sorry,...probly not the best analogy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Nope definatly not the only one dude, I dont think there are many here who would have knives that dont get used, other than when they move on to a new one, but even then the older ones come out for a play every now and then, tis good for the soul,

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Having seen the pictures, swimwear models look at Jon's wife and turn green!

Red

That's made her night Red. I was getting her to do a tough pose to reply to Miyagi in the 5000 post thread, but she was over the moon when she saw your post...

Emm2.jpg

I did strike lucky getting someone good looking that actually had a personality (well, as close to a personality as is safe). Although it is a case of geeky bloke pulling a fox.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
... I do love my knife though. Doesn't need shoes, reassurance after a bad days work, cooking lessons, hugs, petting, obligatory verbal compassionate reassurances, nails polishing, constant hair attention, chateau neuf du pape, handbags, jewellery,,, hasn't got pet hates, annoying habits, a mother, penchant for cake etc. In fact all it needs is the odd strop now and then. Although Emm does also have the odd strop now and then too...... far more than the knife though.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Jon, guilty as charged mate, I too am partial to the odd glass of Chateauneuf :eek:

Key words there mate are 'odd glass' not few bottles.

Back to business... a couple of folks have PM'd me about the durability of the giraffe bone compared to horn, micarta and wood. I reckon Stu is more qualified to answer this than me.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used to make a wine very similar to nine castles. Forgot about a bottle and found it in the move. Yum.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Back to business... a couple of folks have PM'd me about the durability of the giraffe bone compared to horn, micarta and wood. I reckon Stu is more qualified to answer this than me.
Oh, I see....

At present I am working what you might call a lot in Giraffe bone, I have a small contract that calls for an amount every month so it's always in the workshop, the bone for that contract was sourced directly from Africa, stabilised there and shipped here, it is great gear and after months of use I have had no problems... The scales you see here on JD's knife were sourced from a mate of mine, another knifemaker in fact, they too came stabilised from Africa but let me tell you, they are a different gravy, I can tell as soon as I start to shape them, tough as old boots... Granted, maybe not as tough as Micarta, they are after all natural and even when stabilised they still retain a little of their 'nature', we like that though eh?

Compared to antler and horn though, there's nothing to compare, I would say that these are as close to being fully stable as natural things get....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Now that is something I need to try Red, I must come and see you in the Spring. If you can make something close to Chateau Angelus, I'll be your friend for life.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cant promise that, but I have a promising rioja on the go and a very fair elderberry port :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE