New Greenoutdoor Tipi 6...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Hi all, been a longtime since I posted anything, things have just been mad lately and things went a bit wonky in my life earlier in the year, but I'm still alive and kicking!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has got or taken a close look at the greenoutdoor tipi 6?

http://www.greenoutdoor.co.uk/products.asp?productid=4&section=32&subpage=photos#info

I caught a brief look at this at the wilderness gathering and thought for the money it was a very good option. I'm in the market for a canvas type tipi of this size and money, but have been weighing up the pros and cons of all the different models and I'm buggered if I can decide which is best for me, but this seems to have a number of nice ideas and some of the good bits associated with the tentipis (which I can't stretch to as nice as they are I'm sure!).

Anybody any thoughts?

The only thing really putting me off at the moment id the top hat design. I have a load of other info on this from speaking on the email to the guy who runs this outfit and he has been very open and honest about everything. I'm still inclined to go for it, but for about the same price I can get a Tundra 8 and a stove, or a soulpad 5000 Tribe...

Geoff

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
First thoughts :

+dining canopy is a great idea and addresses one of the drawbacks of tentipis
+looks tough, nice colour

- personally I would prefer the flexibility of a detachable groundsheet, especially for fires and stoves
- that top hat looks like it would let in wind-driven rain

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
First thoughts :

+dining canopy is a great idea and addresses one of the drawbacks of tentipis
+looks tough, nice colour

- personally I would prefer the flexibility of a detachable groundsheet, especially for fires and stoves- that top hat looks like it would let in wind-driven rain

Ahem : "This model is easy pitch using just one central pole and has a zipped groundsheet allowing it to be rolled back in the openeing exposing the ground to accomodate muddy boots or a cooking stove."

From the link page.:rolleyes: :D

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Yeah, there is a seperate groundsheet avialable (an extra £60), but it does have a zip for folding back by the door. The inner tent has a built in ground sheet also with a zip in the same place.

The hat can be raised and lowered and/or tilted to one side using external cords. I believe its held on witha bunch of sewn in webbing straps and so isn't removable which is my main problem with it. Apparently it works very well with a real fire inside and with the lower air vents open.

Tough call, seems good for the money, but its not quite how I would want it, so not my 100% perfect tipi, but very close and at half the price of a tentipi (taking into consideration the groundsheet!), it does appear to be good value.

Anyone else see anyhting obviously wrong with the design or materials? Did anyone else who went to the wilderness gathering take a close look at it?

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE