New hiking boots, reccomendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayweather

Dec 3, 2023
Ireland
I’m in the market got a new set and would be interested on reccomendations from
Members

I’ve quite narrow feet for a man and would like a relatively light shoe that allows for good foot flexion in the sole. I’ve previously suffered from plantar fasciitis and that was from wearing a boot that wouldn’t allow my foot to flex properly, since then I’ve been wearing trainers but not great for very rough terrain.

Thanks

Stef

Reactions: Ystranc

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
I like my Lundhags Park boots but they are an expensive pain to get hold of but worth the effort I think. The only problem might be they might be a little wide, I have narrowish feet and get on with them but I would advise trying them on if you decide to give them a go.
They are very flexible compared to the other boots in Lundhags range, but they have all of the attributes of the heavier duty Lundhags boots.
Rubber foot section=very water resistant and no membrane to wear out.
Leather leg section=high leg like army boots.
Commando sole=mine have stood up to a fair bit of walking.
Can be resoled and repaired.
Unlined-no lining to wear out or soak up water.

Reactions: mayweather

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I wear Scarpa Terra GTX. They are a light weight leather boot.

I have a narrow foot and find them comfortable. They are graded as low level boots and have enough flex in them. I wear them all year and in the mountains without any problem.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Altberg tabbing boots are worth a look; made on a trainer-type last but in service with the military. Extremely light weight and very tough indeed, I'm still on a pair from three years ago and I reckon they'll do that again.

Reactions: Nic Le Becheur

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'd really recommend a pair of salomons paired with a proper insole;

Make sure to buy the insole 1st, it's crucial to take them with you to try on the boots. Also be sure to wear the same type of socks you plan to wear when walking.

The salomons are narrow at the heel, low volume at the ankle, and come in half sizes so easy to increase the toe volume if needed. They also flex well due to being a fabric boot.

If you want a leather boot then the supalites by Berghaus are pretty good;

Again it's essential to try them on.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I can only echo the recommendation for Altbergs, I’ve not tried the Tabbing boots but I have the Defenders, they are the best most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned and cost me only £45 unissued new still in the box. Tough, comfortable, took no breaking in and so far long lasting. A better boot than others I’ve had that cost almost four times as much. I can’t recommend Altbergs strongly enough.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
If you’re looking for lightweight, I’d look to Salomon, Arcteryx or Scarpa. I’d say Salomon definitely have a tendency to run narrow. You can’t go wrong with any of them, though Arcteryx gets my vote.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Meindl Badile looks a bit like a classical heavy mountain boot but has a flexible sole that every good shoemaker can replace easily if needed. That's why I think it's worth the money.

I wear custom made boots in my individual measures though. That's not much more expensive than a standard shoe but fits very well of course.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Altberg Tethera are rather good. Well designed and constructed with a one piece leather upper. The tongue is integral, not stitched. They’re a three season boot without thinsulate so they’re flexible and lightweight. They also dry out more quickly without all that stupid padded lining. Available five different widths (in both ladies and men’s half sizing). Regarding your heel problems, upgrading the footbeds in my boots almost completely solved a similar issue for me. I had some excellent advice and help from the people at Gibbs outdoors in Brecon and went for upgraded footbeds that are favoured by a lot of soldiers who are doing load bearing marches.
The best advice I can offer is to try lots of different boots and take advice from a shoe shop that you feel you can trust.

Last edited:

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
They are a fantastic independent retailer. :thumbsup:
I’ve been getting my boots from them for as long as I remember. They’re not the cheapest but if you’re involved in the scouts, DofE or the outdoor recreation industry at their discretion they may give you a 10% discount if you ask nicely.

Reactions: nigelp

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We’re talking amongst ourselves a bit as the OP hasn’t been in since 8th December, but I’m getting on well with these. Le Chameaux Lite LTX, a fairly narrow and very comfortable fit and around 750g a boot or just under 1.5kg a pair.

IMG_3658.jpeg

Reactions: Ystranc and nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE