New forums

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So that people don't miss it or they're not sure what's going on we've been setting up some new forums in the kit area (yes i know, Ahhhhh kit :rant:) The main kit forum was getting a bit full with such a huge breadth of subjects that it's been split up by the introduction of clothing and footwear and camp & carry which has all the sleeping, and carrying threads in it now.

In all we've moved about 3000 threads which is a manual process, just so you know :D

I've also changed the transport forum to a main forum from a sub forum, it seemed to be out of place stuck as a sub with so much going on in the main area :D Use this to talk about anything transport wise, well, within reason :red:

I'm considering splitting the edged tools forum as well as that's quite busy and it's got a lot of excellent information in there, let this be notice that it might change as well.

Those of you who are sick of kit, hate the stuff and think that everyone that goes in the kit area is infinitely inferior and not pure, click on the double arrows on the right hand side of the main title 'Kit & Tools' and the heathens will disappear and temptation to berate them will be removed, as will the temptation to point out that they're just armchair bushcrafters and they should be out doing it like me etc etc etc...........Anyway, everyone gets the point i'm sure :D

Enjoy the easier kit forums :beerchug:

leon-1

Cheers Tony. I doff my cap to you, sounds like quite a task!

As Tony said it's a manual process and it takes a long time (hours of trawling through thread after thread some of which have really ambiguous names) to relocate the threads in their new homes.

It makes you very aware of how big the forum is and what topics repeat themselves in a similar way to the eternal battle between light and dark:rolleyes:

I can empathise about the effort involved, diligence is required, does it belong here, or there, etc. I did this on a forum once, just the once, and I think I need to do it again. Not particularly looking forward to it. If it's any consolation, it is usually appreciated and the positive feedback is worth it.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I trust there is now a forum for each camo pattern and, of course, at least one for ventile geeks??

I'll get my plane tree camo coat with mink lined hand warmer pockets!

Cheers

leon-1

It wasn't just me, Leon, Ogri and That Dutch guy.........:D

Not true, Tony was in there ripping out hair and screwing fists into sunken sockets the same as the rest of us. It was a good team effort.

It's pretty much done now and the men in the white coats say that I can come off the med's soon, they also say that I'll be let out of the white coat with buckles as well. That'll be a relief as it's very difficult typing with your nose.........:D

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Well done lads! Sounds like a really big job. Just hope that it is appreciated, and does not give reason for any more gripeing.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
Don't know what the forum looked like before as I joined just after upgrade.
So far I like most of the features, everything makes sense to me.
One thing I don’t understand is the fact I have to wait for 20 seconds between searches.
Can that be changed?

leon-1

Don't know what the forum looked like before as I joined just after upgrade.
So far I like most of the features, everything makes sense to me.
One thing I don’t understand is the fact I have to wait for 20 seconds between searches.
Can that be changed?

That's a question for admin, but it's quite a common feature on a number of forums. I would imagine that it's a default as I know of other forums where it's 30 seconds. I would also think that the delay would be one to do with bandwidth and requests to a server.

Although a server is capable of a lot it can only handle so many requests at a time, the more complex the request the more the cpu has to put into it.
Currently there are 348 users online and if each one put's in a complicated search in the same minute that's a lot for the server to handle, but this forum has 13,000 members and since it has been up an running again the most users online has been 721. BCUK has had more than double that number in the past and takes up a vast amount of bandwidth.

This is probably the answer to your question, but as I say it's probably down to one of the admin to tell you.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE