Net Needle and Net Start

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I picked up a few library books on net making and mending and decided to give it a go.

Step one was to make a net needle. I started with a piece of 1/4” poplar that I had kicking around in the garage, and decided to use the Garcia SBT carver only. Gouging out the pin track took quite a while on this dry lumber.

netneedlehalf2710kp6.jpg

Here is the final needle loaded up. I filled it with tarred seine twine after a quick rub with flaxseed oil so some of the tar transferred off to the wood.

netneedledone2729vy1.jpg

Last night I gave the net needle a tryout….

First I grabbed my library book….this book does not use a net gauge stick; your fingers are used in the process to measure the net weave. I this case I am making a net with about 4” (stretched out) holes.

netbook2748ul3.jpg

Sitting in my chair with a clamp on the side table to hold the mesh I figured out the start…then quickly moved to the doorknob to hold the string while I tied off about 4 feet of the first set. I have to say, I have looked at how nets are made a zillion times and it always seemed to be so hard….but it is as easy as pie in reality. This 4 foot string took me just a couple of minutes after I got into the rhythm.

netfirststring2751vj5.jpg

At this point I needed to move the net onto a stick to continue. I used a bamboo pole but a thinner stick would be much easier. Then a return back to the left for the second row.

netsecondstring2759jq4.jpg

This is the second pass done, ready to tie back to the right.

netsecondstringdone2763cq8.jpg

This is way way easy, and using my fingers to measure is fast and efficient. I can make this as long as I like and even join another net to make it wider. Really easy and relaxing to do. The larger seine twine is a good cord to use to learn I think. It feeds well and does not tangle much.

I checked out 3 books from the library and this one is my favorite…

Fisherman’s Knots and Nets

Raoul Graumont and Elmer Wenstrom

Cornell Maritime Press, 1948

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Tom,

I have no ability to describe in words the knot nor do I have a decent image right now. However, the knot is easy as pie and I will try to write it out.

Look at the one image I have that is close....

netsecondstring2759jq4.jpg

Needle through the loop on the left, but keep a bight on the right side....hold that with your left hand pinky.

Pull that bight down and with left index finger tough knot above....this is the measure aspect. Pinch the twine where it is bent over that loop with forefinger and thumb.

Loop needle over the front of net (clockwise loop) and stick needle behind the loop and back through that big loop. Pull.

A picture is definately worth a zillion words:D

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I decided to make a slightly shorter and thinner netting needle. I am thinking I may make a real gill net out of monofilament. So I picked up a green alder branch and brought it back home.

I grabbed my North Bay Forge drawknife and rapidly brought this down to just over 1/8” thick.

netneedlealdernbdraw281sx5.jpg

netneedlealderdrawmotiowd0.jpg

Then the North Bay Forge straight single sided knife to curve the sides, and cut the foot notch.

netneedlealdernbcarve28aw9.jpg

I used a short Diobsud forge straight knife to cut out the pin and now it is ready to be loaded.

netneedlealder2846sq4.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE