Nessmuk blades, run of 20.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Could i have No 18 please.

1. Mic201m (bb)
2. Stonecutter (bb)
3. Gorilla
4. Jeroboam
5. Xavierdoc
6. Geoff88
7. Darsoth
8. Jacko
9. Paul Hardwick
10. Pothunter
11. Toots
12. Hattie
13. ilovemybed
14. Davymoore
15. Harlequin
18.Dingo
20. Bushcraft4life

Adam.

sc_barker

Forager
Aug 23, 2006
Leicester
i think im going to keep it simple with black linen micarta and brass fittings but ill bead blast the micarta for a textued finish to create more grip.

sc_barker

Forager
Aug 23, 2006
Leicester
its quite dense so can be tough to work, i normally rough shape with 80 grit then go to 120 and work it down to around 1000 or more depending on the finish i want, if you use a belt sander to shape it wear a dust mask is the dust will get ever where plus t doesn't taste very nice :yuck:

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
How many grades do you go through inbetween 120 to a 1000? and roughly how long do you stay on each grade?

Also, are you going to do all the sanding by hand?

Sorry for the questions Stu :eek: but i haven't worked with it yet and would like to know what i am letting myself in for, i would like to compliment this blade with something special :D

sc_barker

Forager
Aug 23, 2006
Leicester
OK, from when the scales are glued and pinned in place i will take the scale material down to the tang shape on the belt sander but this can also be done by hand with files.

Then the 80 grit by hand , the best way to shape the handle's is to cut your sandpaper in the strips of about 1" by 12" and then clamp the blade your work bench with a G-clamp (in some leather or cloth to protect the blade finish) and hold the paper at each end then with a side to side action sand to the shape you would like.

I with then continue with this through from 120, 240, 320, 600 to 1000. this will give a very smooth finish on the micarta but if you wanted a medium textured grip i would just do it to around 240/320.

Time wise is hard to say as you will stay on each grit until your happy to move on to the next.

hope that helps.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Different sources/types of Micarta seem to finish differently. I have had some black linen, and black canvas that looked very nice, and gelt good, just wet sanded to 240 grit. The green canvas stuff that I bought was a pig to finish by comparison and had to be sanded down to 400-600 before it started to look alright.

I shape with files, then wet sand to keep the dust down. Think about a good dust mask because unlike wood, even the dust you get from a fairly coarse file will become airborne readily. It doesn't smell particularly nice, hence doing my sanding wet.

A nice finish can be achieved with Webrax / Scothbrite abrasive pads, they will tend to cut away the exposed cloth fibres faster than the phenolic resin so you get a subtle texture.

Hope you don't mind me butting in Stu :eek:

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Chris and especially Stu, cheers both for the advice, i wish we still had the rep scales on here :( right, i am off to order some Micarta :D

sc_barker

Forager
Aug 23, 2006
Leicester
DSC00082.jpg

First 10 ground, stamped and drilled!

I should hopefully get the rest ground tomorrow and have them away for heat treatment next week then the hand finishing begins :C

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE