Need a Brush? Make Your Own!! (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Still loving this thread - my hazel is too thin to try this - but next time I get some thicker stuff I will!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Had another go this morning (whilst i should have been working) with a tiny piece of hazel i found out back;

DSCN1256.jpg

to those that provided advice on the peeling process, you were spot on,m keep going around the stick and eventually it just peels away in nice long strips, will get some longer pieces of hazel later in the week and give it another crack and try to make a longer/larger brush, also need to spend some time working the fibres on this one to make them finer, but need to do some work first :rolleyes::)

Reactions: Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don't know how I missed this thread Mesquite. Really interesting and some cracking work by folks. I'm going to have to give it a wee go. Hazel is a bit thin on the ground around me here but going to give willow and ash a wee try.

These all look great. I tried with some hazel first but had another go with some willow and found I could get a finer pull straight away. Crappy splintery wood has its uses!

Edit 'wood' not 'would'! Bloody predictive text!!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm having trouble with the willow, but it's fresh cut. Do folks find it better to leave it for a bit? Will persevere and post once done.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Tried a piece of willow earlier, although the fibre ran, i couldn't get them to run long enough, might have been the bit of wood though as it's been cut for about two months

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tried a piece of willow earlier, although the fibre ran, i couldn't get them to run long enough, might have been the bit of wood though as it's been cut for about two months

Aye I'm afraid that the grain might not rum well or long in it. The only hazel near me is over in the next valley. Not sure why there's none in ours. (May have to do some gorilla planting!)

There is some Ash I have access to, may try that next. Or hit the local birch, though some has a wavy grain 'round here. Cheers for the info.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
An couple updates from Ulf over on the FB group page where he's tried making the brushes from bird cherry.

Made a new brush today of Bird Cherry (Prunus Padus). And it´s the best Wood I used so far for this woork. With this wood Its a big possibility to do great brushes and brooms....Or did I just get lucky?

10299520_288254921334933_1916962226487646236_n.jpg

With the kids upp on the lake, I made my second brusch in Bird Cherry. Its a perfect Wood to make a Broom of, Esy to woork with, hard and strong fibers. But not so good to make a brush of, becouse the fibers is not soft enough

10250312_288555604638198_7490502491039905905_n.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yess :) I used gean (our wild cherry) for my first attempt and it worked. Not well, but it was a first attempt.
A broom and not a brush, he says; I would have to agree. Mine was coarse :eek:

I'm never going to make them as well as he does :sigh: but I can make something useable, so I suppose it's not that terrible.

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE