neck knife carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Dont know about others but I carry my main knife on my belt and a second smaller knife around my neck on a paracord loop. Its just nice to have options and as of yet I have yet to find my preferred method. Also it depends on the size of knife as the smaller ones tend to lend themselves to neck carry over belt carry. I only neck carry when I have a coat on as I cannot stand it flapping around when I bend over to pick something up. So I guess neck carrying for me is mainly a summer time choice.

Greg

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Ok, so I think this may help, I use it because I just got my new mora and it doenn;t fit on my belt. I got a piece of paracord and tied a ddouble fisher man knot, but basicly you take the two ends in a circle to your liking (you want it as big as you would want it) and tie an overhand (thumb) knot on #1 with #2 adn leave a bit of slack, then tie another overhand (thumb) knot on #2 with #1, kinda hard to explain but it allows you to loosen/tighter it to whatever size you want. Ok do what it says hear, without the pullung together and it will adjust to whatever size you want!! http://www.metacafe.com/watch/696693/the_impossible_knot/ o and hear is another link http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=118706&fpart=1

why carry it around my neck...

mmm because I can?

No seriously... I have been playing around with all sorts of carying and am not fixed in any way (yet)...

My mora is light enough to do so and I do not always carry a belt... so then a light neck knife is a good option... Who needs a double dangler then...

In a jungle my parang is too heavy for my neck... so it just is A way to cary which I am trying out with comfort so far....

Grtz Johan

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I do use a double fisherman's knot on the paracord aound my neck. I figure if it gets caught up, at least it has some leaway before I hang myself.
As for why I carry it around my neck, I carry it that way when I am hiking as I have a wide hip belt on my pack and even with a dangler, it gets in the way. Usually once I have dropped the pack and am settling in for the night I tend to transfer to my belt.
I do however keep a 'survival necklass' around my neck always with a 1 inch fixed blade, mini compass, whistle, mini magnesium bar and mini led flashlight. I only take that off when I am sleeping.
That being said, as I wrote in the first place that I am thinking of a fancy bit of braiding to spruce things up a bit.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
I have a belt that is made up of 50 feet of paracord braided in such a way that it can be released with just a pull of the cord (only when I want it to tho) Mabye try that as a necklace? W'ould be a bit stiff and heavy tho, but mabye not if you only did it with two rounds (my belt was 4 or 5) I don't know, I'll see of I still have the link. found it! http://www.slatts.fsworld.co.uk/slatts-knot.htm, would really hang you, my belt could probably support more than a ton? (550lbs x number of loops) I really like this design!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Personally I have never really got the purpose of neck carry. A double dangle keeps a knife below rucksack belt height so I guess it isn't that. To those that do carry this way - whats the attraction over belt carry? Or even I guess leg carry if discretion is the purpose?

Red

I'm with BR on this one.A dangly from the belt is below the rucksack line,easy to slip out of the way when sitting,won't throttle you and can be slipped into the trouser pocket when on the way to the woods to avoid frightening any Daily Mail readers that you meet on the way.

EDIT: It doesn't dangle in the way when you're bending over doing things.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
For years I went back and forth over which method I preferred to carry a knife. In the end I have gone with a modified neck carry using a double fishermans. This allows me to place a arm through and keep it low and out of the way when not in use. When working on a project it comes forward and out.

Due to my preference for clothing that is long and provides good coverage on my backside the neck carry becomes safer and easier. Rather than lifting 1 or more layers of clothing to slide the knife home, the sheath is readily available around my neck. This tends to make a safer work or camp environment because I find that myself (and others) are less likely to lay down a bare knife because of the simplicity of access. And in cold weather (today was -31C for a high) not having to lift a flap to put a knife away is a great comfort!

When the knife is not needed it is easily tucked into a shirt/jacket front or slung under the arm.

Other reasons for not using a belt carry:
- hipbelts on packs
- hip-borne brush catchers
- less likely to catch overhanging clothing on a sharp edge when sheathing/drawing
- close/convenient to the work area when around the neck

Thanks for reading, I appreciate all ideas and views, but I do have my own!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thats a valid point Grey Owl,
and probably similar to my subconcious reasoning. My only fixed blade that does not have a neck carry lanyard, is a Clipper, but then that is equally as easy to remove from sight when I think it is necessary. I suppose that I ought to try a double dangler sheath if only to make an informed choice as to which is my prefered carry system.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
For years I went back and forth over which method I preferred to carry a knife. In the end I have gone with a modified neck carry using a double fishermans. This allows me to place a arm through and keep it low and out of the way when not in use. When working on a project it comes forward and out.

Due to my preference for clothing that is long and provides good coverage on my backside the neck carry becomes safer and easier. Rather than lifting 1 or more layers of clothing to slide the knife home, the sheath is readily available around my neck. This tends to make a safer work or camp environment because I find that myself (and others) are less likely to lay down a bare knife because of the simplicity of access. And in cold weather (today was -31C for a high) not having to lift a flap to put a knife away is a great comfort!

When the knife is not needed it is easily tucked into a shirt/jacket front or slung under the arm.

Other reasons for not using a belt carry:
- hipbelts on packs
- hip-borne brush catchers
- less likely to catch overhanging clothing on a sharp edge when sheathing/drawing
- close/convenient to the work area when around the neck

Thanks for reading, I appreciate all ideas and views, but I do have my own!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its an each to their own thing I guess :)

I despise things round my neck (cervical spondylosis also makes it unwise). The hipbelt thing was an issue until I discoovered the "double dangler" - its no longer a problem since it hangs clear. Actually its also easier to re-sheath a knife on a dangler plus it swings clear when seated etc.

As for the catching thing, I'd rather catch a hip than my neck! I know you can tuck a neck knife away - but a dangler sheath just tucks into a pocket if you wish.

I suspect both works - its more a question of preference. I have often toyed with different arrangements - leg, forearm or even pack strap. But they all feel a bit "tactical" somehow - be interesting though to know if anyone else uses one - and how they find it

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I suspect both works - its more a question of preference. I have often toyed with different arrangements - leg, forearm or even pack strap. But they all feel a bit "tactical" somehow - be interesting though to know if anyone else uses one - and how they find it

Red

Many years ago,
when being fitted with Aircrew Coveralls, I was given the option of "left upper arm, inverted" or "right lower leg, upright" for fitment of the rescue/crew knife fitting. While the idea of having a knife on your weak upper arm might appeal to some rambo-wannabe's, as a professional tradesman I went for the leg fit - the idea is that you have to be able to reach and draw the knife from a sitting position to be able to cut yourself free from a downed aircraft.
This has led me to some thoughts on how to carry a knife for efficiency of use, which is very different to how the rest of society view you as a person when carrying a knife. Obviously an upper arm carry is a very aggresive statement when travelling but could prove useful when actually working so long as the problems inherent in an inverted sheath can be overcome. This could even be transposed to a pack strap. The least practical carry would be on the lower leg as you'd have to stoop to unsheath the knife. An ideal dangler for me would have a clip as the top loop so that I don't have to partly remove my belt in order to don or remove it.
Until I get a reasonable clip/dangler combination, I'm persevering with the neck carry, but I'm not totally settled that it will ever be a permanent arrangement.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
In the woods, on a belt - right hip. Diving, on my right lower leg - weight belt gets in the way for a belt knife.

I always remember a WRAC girl who bent over to peer into a piece of moving machinery during a demonstration we attended, her baggy pulli got caught and almost pulled her in. Two of us grabbed her and someone hit the kill switch - I've never worn anything round my neck or loose in an iffy situation since.................that said, OGRI'S knot is a good idea.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interestin Ogri.

Part of one of my dangler arrangements (and I think the way Dougster does it now) is a trigger clip as the top half attaching to a D ring on the lower. Its very secure but easy to remove (I use the arrangements on my axes a lot - my Cegga gets clipped to my pack and then to my belt when I'm foraging firewood). Similarly my Silky saw sheath has a prest stud in the top dangler for the reasons you mention. Perception is all as you say. My Spdie Moran can be carried inverted easily - a quick sew of a canvas strap on leg or arm would allow it to be clipped there or on a belt.

Hmmmmm

Red

Red

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
In the summer I'll wear my knife on my belt, however like Grey Owl I carry my knife around my neck (and slung under my arm) when its chilly, lifting up your jacket at - 40 to get at a belt knife can be painful :)

The double fishermans knot arrangement keeps to snug under my arm so it never dangles and gets in the way.

blackwolf1

Dec 12, 2007
Auburn,Maine U.S.A.
I've carried knives both ways for a long while and like both ways.
I remembered reading in Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" about neck carry.He recomends
Mora knives,which are great for neck carry as they are not heavy.However personally
I prefer a more substansial blade.My tastes run more to the Bark River Knives I tried neck carry with them,but have gone to belt carry as I've started developing arthritis in my neck and back [I'm getting old].
I do still like neck carry as the knife can be tucked away when not in use,and as another
poster noted sometimes I don't always wear a belt.
In the end its up to the user,to suit their own needs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE