neck knife carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I am curious about the ways in which people carry their knife about their necks.
I just use a bit of paracord at the moment-useful for a firebow if necessary- and am thinking of doing a fancy bit of braiding to increase the amount of paracord I carry as well as looking and feeling a bit more comfortable.
A buddy uses a wire survival saw that he has slipped into some surgical tubing-interesting idea but a tad uncomfortable and utilitarian looking for my tastes.
Richard

I use an old hood drawstring from an Army Jungle sleeping bag, I kept the toggles on either end & these fit into the belt lock on my Mora. I wear it doubled to carry round my neck & let it out to its full length if I want it to hang at my waist.

knife.jpg

Tree

My wooden handled mora and leather sheath hang by a leather thong (doubled, so I too could hang it around my waist or even outside a thick number of layers and place it below an armpit

My plastic mora hangs by a piece of paracord, momentarily not doubled but will go same style.

Lightweight, cheap, functional and stylish...

Just my way for the time being, till I learn something else/better/.....

Grtz Johan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
the one thing keeping me of from a necksheath is my fear of hanging myself, anyone got a contraption to break away on extreme load?

How are you going to hang yourself? A lot of people wear name badges, many today have a quick release/snap off buckle; all ours in Nursing do anyway

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
yeah if I carried mine around my neck (I hate things hanging from my neck) I would probly use the saftey snap releases ( or another way to do fix the problem is just not to wear it around your neck)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Was just going to post, you really need a snap relase of some sort.

I had an MP3 player with a neck cord, and built in head phones. Strangled myself loads of times, and then bench pressed my bike, with my neck. It hurts.

I prefer to wear my main knife on a belt sheath, however, I also have a stainless steel blade which I keep for food prep. on a kneck sheath. This is on a reasonable length of leather thonging and hangs over my right shoulder / under my left arm. This prevents it from dangling into anything as I lean over and it can be concealed inside my jacket if necessary. With this set-up I doubt I'd hang myself either.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I use an old hood drawstring from an Army Jungle sleeping bag, I kept the toggles on either end & these fit into the belt lock on my Mora. I wear it doubled to carry round my neck & let it out to its full length if I want it to hang at my waist.

knife.jpg

Tree

Any chance of a close-up/reverse shot as I can't seem to fathom how you attach the cord?
Regards
Alan

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Small knives I tend to have around my neck then I use paracord and use the double fisherman's knot to make it adjustable. Bigger knives I use a strap and use it as a sling.

I have worried about hanging myself since it would have to take pretty much for that to happen, same hing with fall over and get the knife would go into my chest. Things like that happens but peobably as often that I wil a million on the lottery...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I have never really got the purpose of neck carry. A double dangle keeps a knife below rucksack belt height so I guess it isn't that. To those that do carry this way - whats the attraction over belt carry? Or even I guess leg carry if discretion is the purpose?

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
For those that want to know,
Here's a little break-away knot to use with a neck carry.
It is simply an overhand knot with a loop pushed through it - pull the overhand knot tight and it is enough to hold the sheath, but put too much force on it and the loop will pull out and prevent any fear of hanging oneself.
IMG_2185.jpg

ATB

Ogri the trog

Personally , to keep it unobtrusive , norms often get the wrong impression . all they see is a weapon and panic they don't see it as a tool & often react accordingly. I would like to openly carry on my hip when out , but to much hassle in the pc world we live in, so it stays round my neck & hidden away.

Tree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE