Natural Shelter Building

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I would like to become able to build a few natural shelters, does anyone have any ideas of one that are not overly complex at that can be constructed quickly, without the use of a tarp etc.

Do you know of any web based sources where I can see pictures? Can't seem to find any on here :banghead:

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Buckley8219 said:
Hi guys,

I would like to become able to build a few natural shelters, does anyone have any ideas of one that are not overly complex at that can be constructed quickly, without the use of a tarp etc.

Do you know of any web based sources where I can see pictures? Can't seem to find any on here :banghead:

Hi Buckley,
Heres a link that may be of use: http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/shelter/index.html
Theres also loads of good books that cover this subject, you should find these on Amazon.co.uk: Ray Mears' "Essential Bushcraft" (ISBN 0340829710) contains details of shelters particularly good for Britain, using leaf litter as cover, but the best book for me is "Bushcraft" by the Canadian Mors Kochanski. (ISBN 1551051222). He goes into the science of it all, and covers factors like the pitch of the roof, where you would have a fire in relation to the shelter and so on.

The shelters below were straightforward to construct using natural materials, standing deadwood and "witches broomsticks" (spindly dead branches) for the shelter structure, and beech / holly leaf litter for the covering. I made them both on two visits to the site over two days and they were still in place a good few months later. The site is in an area of holly and beech trees, the holly gives good protection above the shelters from the elements and also adds a discretion factor, being a prickly evergreen! The beech leaves went on from the bottom up, each load overlapping the layer below, as in roof tiles. Beech leaves are particularly useful for this as they are high in tannins, meaning that decomposers (woodlice etc) aren't too fond of them, and the leaves take a long time to break down, handy if you want a covering for a long term shelter.

The open fronted shelter in the top picture would be used with a long log fire (landowners permission!) in front of it, in between the shelter and the wooden wall, (I won't call it a "fire reflector", is wood a reflective material??!) with the wind running parallel to the fire / wall. The 2 Man Kennel in the bottom picture has a sleeping position either side of the entrance, the more insulation on the ground (branches, dry vegetation etc) the better. I made some entrance coverings for both shelters for a bit more protection and also to disguise the black shadows created by the entrances which were a bit of a giveaway.

In a real situation I'd be looking for natural shelter that could be improved on, depending on location, something like a large uprooted tree or the underside of a fallen conifer. Always a trade off between energy and time used to the benefits gained.

Have fun building! :)
Tom
fieldexpedientleantodl2.jpg
2mankenneldg1.jpg

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Buckley,

I don't know how much experience you have building natural survival-esque shelters, but if you're looking for something that's not overly difficult and perhaps simpler than the ones illustrated above, try and get a copy of the Canadian Air Force Survival Manual. We all know that Canada's got a really rough northern climate and so the Survival Manual is extremly informative, very straightforward manual that outlines a multitude of survival tasks that an airman or bush pilot would need to utilize if he bailed out. The shelter section is fantastic and the entire book is relevent to the rest of us!

Adam

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't think you'll have a warmer night than a couple of people in a leaf litter shelter! Brilliant shelters, I built one with Jamie this weekend in a dome type affair, and we are gonna extend the front so that we can get our kit in out of the rain. We are gonna make a door with string and reeds that will be able to roll up, and next weekend is gonna be the next time we can kip in it again.

Last night was a nightmare as we took our kids and they messed about from four in the morning onwards keeping us both awake! :banghead: I've never come back from bushcrafting stressed out and tired before, nor has Jamie, so we won't be taking the kids next weekend!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The purpose of this shelter building was to erect a fast shelter using only local seasonal materials. The object was to be warm and dry within one hour (now you see why I abuse my knives- 21 bundles of around 25 bracken stems cut in 20 minutes!)

Okay - Step 1

The normal way to build a "lean to" is to drive in two Y shaped stakes and put in a cross member. On this site ther are loads of hazel stools so finding two trees close enough together to make side supports is no poblem. A cross member is placed into the natural branch supports. The cross member must be at least 6’ high.

shelter1fj8.jpg

Step 2

Indents are chopped out of the cross member to support three upright stakes that are sharpened and pressed into the soft clay soil. These are ties in with natural material. Now on this site we have the choice of willow bark, nettle fibres or bramble. Given I was doing some on site coppicing, we used green willow bark (later we switched to a hank of 550 in my pocket for speed - this was more to prove it was possible).

The angle must be steep (>60 degrees) to let water run off.

shelter2aw2.jpg

Step 3

Additional hazel cross members are tied into the uprights to create a framework on which the thatch can be supported. About 25 bracken stems are tied together into a thatch bundle. Thatch bundles are tied to the framework starting from the bottom

shelter3wb4.jpg

Step 4
Thatch is tied across the bottom horizontal layer – really push the bundles together – you need a really tight fit to keep the water out!

shelter4ui6.jpg

Step5

Put the next layer on further “down” than you think and slightly offset from the layer below. The point is to make the water run down over several layers of thatch. Each higher layer should fill in any gaps of the top of the layer beneath

shelter5gn4.jpg

Step 6

Finish each layer off. Each layer is half a bundle offset from the layer below (like a Flemish bond in brick laying)

shelter6un2.jpg

Step 7

Finish right up to the top of the shelter.

shelter7hk9.jpg

Step 8

Tie additional hazel withies over the top of the bracken to keep the bracken flat. This helps water run off and stops any risk of your material “blowing away”

shelter8rd9.jpg

Step 9

A thick, 3’ wide layer of branches is put into the angle of the lean to. This lifts you off the ground for insulation. Branches are quite springy – like the springs in your bes – but like them they need a softer top layer.

shelter9ra2.jpg

Step 10

A HUGE layer of soft vegetation is placed on the branches – this was 18” thick before we lay on it – it packs down to 2” of thick solid padding.

red2bv0.jpg

The shelter was built by two people in an hour of continuous hard work (okay two people messing in several hours) – if theres two of you, you could build one big enough for two in an hour and a half (3 man hours). But on your own, think two hours realistically. But, thatched well and with a trench fire in front, you will be dry and toasty for a week or so - and more comfortable than any "closed cell" kip mat.

Red

Reactions: BOD

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Red bracen should really be avoided as a bedding material. it is a favourite haunt of ticks. Sleeping on the stuff is an invitiation to lunch. Care also needs to be taken when harvesting as it can cause nasty cuts.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are right of course Wayne!

Sadly in that particular area and time of year, It was about the only thing presenting itself. As for the cuts, I always wear a leather gloves when shelter building (they stop me burning hands on the billy can for the inevitable brew breaks ;))

I've used that spot a few times and the bracken is huge, but I've never had a tick problem - not to say it isn't there of course

Hmm reminds me, must get one of those tick tools - any clue where to get hold of them?

Red

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
British Red said:
You are right of course Wayne!

Sadly in that particular area and time of year, It was about the only thing presenting itself. As for the cuts, I always wear a leather gloves when shelter building (they stop me burning hands on the billy can for the inevitable brew breaks ;))

I've used that spot a few times and the bracken is huge, but I've never had a tick problem - not to say it isn't there of course

Hmm reminds me, must get one of those tick tools - any clue where to get hold of them?

Red
There is a group buy for tick hooks on song of the paddle at the moment. They are the O'Tom brand with two different sizes in a pack.
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1893&page=4&highlight=tick

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Nice one lads,

I've just ordered the mors text, and taken notes from the images. I'll let you know how I get on, and maybe post some pictures of the finished shelter.

I'm going to have to become a full time member, the amount of help and guidance I have recieved from these forums over the last fortnight is unreal. Cheers!

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
With loads of leaves around this time of year a debris shelter would be pretty quick to put together.
This is one I built and stayed in about this time last year when it was a tad colder.
Debris Shelter

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Some good info here :) .

I've only tried one practice shelter so far and Im very glad I didn't have to sleep in it :eek: (more practice needed me thinks :rolleyes: ).

I've seen lots of different kinds of shelters in lots of different places and was wondering what designs do you guys use. Are there some out there that are better than others, are Lean-tos better? or are enclosed shelters best? :confused:

The one I tried was just one long pole propped up at one end with sticks and branches leaned up against it, then covered with leaves. It was pretty quick to make but wouldn't have been much fun to live in being so cramped.

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Nice one British Red, I made one just like that on a course in Wales a few years ago. I think the spars were to thin for the amount of bracken they had to support. It let in water like a sieve and the middle collapsed after 2 days of rain.
Soggy green maggot three nights in a row. How do you think yours would fare?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its still there mate - the bracken has dried out and it needs another layer. I buiilt that one in March and the framework was still up in November.

The trouble with green thatch is it does shrink as it dries.

I don't have the time to get back up until Feb. I'll take a view on the weather and re-thatch it or hammock & tarp

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE