Natural Glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Now this might seem like a silly question, yes some will laugh but i am being serious.
On an extended camp, long term expedition what would be the ideal natural glue to use as a substitute for denture fix, assuming that full top and bottom dentures are warn.?
I`ve often wondered how them old trappers managed.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I assume you're thinking of something like "fixodent" or one of those kinda things...

Now I must say i've never tried this but how about boiling some pine resin, filtering it through some muslin to remove impurities and then before it sets smear the bit of your dentures that need fixing??

1. Pine resin is mildly antiseptic so shouldn't cause infection etc
2. The resin dries brittle... dunno if the fixodent stuff remains pliable as I don't wear dentures
3. I have no idea how pine resin tastes
4. I have no idea how easy it would be to remove if found unsuitable...

Good luck in your quest :D

Now this might seem like a silly question, yes some will laugh but i am being serious.
On an extended camp, long term expedition what would be the ideal natural glue to use as a substitute for denture fix, assuming that full top and bottom dentures are warn.?
I`ve often wondered how them old trappers managed.

They probably adjusted they way they cooked food, or made sure that tough food was cut into small pieces.

Most never had dentures, let alone glue to fix them to their gums.
Enzymes in the saliva would have helped to break down some of the food. They were rough old bleeders, full of gums and snot. I doubt if they bothered with such gaieties, and just got on with it.
:canoe::canoe:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I assume you're thinking of something like "fixodent" or one of those kinda things...

Now I must say i've never tried this but how about boiling some pine resin, filtering it through some muslin to remove impurities and then before it sets smear the bit of your dentures that need fixing??

1. Pine resin is mildly antiseptic so shouldn't cause infection etc
2. The resin dries brittle... dunno if the fixodent stuff remains pliable as I don't wear dentures
3. I have no idea how pine resin tastes
4. I have no idea how easy it would be to remove if found unsuitable...

Good luck in your quest :D

Pine resin is a right bugger to get off your fingers, and there's no way I'd want it anywhere near my mouth.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I doubt any would bother to wear false teeth whilst eating due to the PITA factor of cleaning and keeping them in! Mind you I don't know how many would have bothered wearing them at all ;)

also, before the 20thC as far as I know glue wasn't used to hold dentures in (certainly not full plates). Hooks into the gums and strong springs had been used for a very long time pre-glue :)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Most never had dentures, let alone glue to fix them to their gums.

I agree completly perhaps if they did have a set they wouldn't use them on a daily basis perhaps only for social gatherings, public occasions going into town etc. even at a strech where there wore women!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE