Natural-fibre sleep mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
This is my first post! I'm just getting back into bushcraft and updating some of my old kit (see my post in the intros section).

I'm very into natural fibres these days, especially wool. I'm putting together an all natural-fibre sleeping system, and so far have a silk sleeping bag liner; a WWII US Army wool sleeping bag, which I've re-lanolinised and repaired (http://www.armynavysales.com/products/ww2-wool-sleeping-bag-liner/); and a US Army cotton bivi bag, which I'm going to wax (http://www.armynavysales.com/products/cotton-sleeping-cover-new-/).

So far so good... The thing I'm stuck on, though, is a sleeping mat. It needs to be made of natural fibres, to be carried in or strapped to a rucksack (so not too large/heavy), and provide insulation and padding. I've had loads of ideas - rolled up wool blankets, wool mattress topper, old military sleeping rolls, sheepskin, old silk/feather eiderdown, etc. - but nothing quite ticks all the boxes. The closest I've come to is a wool tuffet (http://thetravellingtuffeteer.yolasite.com/), but they're pretty pricey and, being white, perhaps not great for the woods (though I could probably get one made to go inside the bivi bag)!

So, does anyone have any ideas of a natural-fibre sleeping mat that ticks the weight/comfort boxes?

Thanks!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
What about filling a rectangular cotton sack (the length of you) with down and seeing it up? It would compress easily and probably be very warm! :)

I love your system too, I'm a wool fan as well! :)

Hope this helps! :)

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Thanks Clouston98, but I had the same concern as Mesquite that various natural-fibre options would lose all insulating properties once they were compressed underneath you. Another option I forgot to mention is a natural rubber yoga mat, but they're quite thin and expensive. Any more ideas...?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Ah didn't think of that, bit daft of me ;).

I've use a double sized wool blanket folded in half before and it worked fine, but you could sew three sides up,and fill it with dead/ dry leaves and browse to increase the insulating properties :).

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Interesting question, I think in the past people on a journey would have improvised with whatever they could use locally (reeds, bracken, heather, spruce boughs, springy branches etc). I've made a few beds & I think its an undervalued skill that's not given enough emphasis during standard survival training.

The best mattress I made was from reeds - it was very comfortable & warm due to the hollow nature of the reeds: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105816
Although It wasn't heavy it was very bulky. I was generous with each reed bundle though so perhaps you could have a go at making one & seeing what you could get away with comfort wise.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bit of waxed cotton sewn into a sack, and you just stuff it with whatever greenery/brash you can find.
Leaves work, so does heather.

I don't know of any natural fibres that make a padded sleep mat that doesn't weigh so much that it makes carrying it a burden.

We didn't use mats when I was very young,(closed cell foam mats were a revelation :) ) we simply scraped out hollows for hips and shoulders, piled in whatever leaf litter/straw/heather/brash / old seaweed (it's actually very good, you just need a really, really, good bit of oilcloth on top) put down a bit of groundsheet and then either blankets or bag.

Down mats, kapok mats, cotton mats; they all pack down under you and lose insulation, or need to be so thick that you might as well carry a mattress.

Traditonally made rush and grass mats are both lightweight, roll up tidily and keep things clean. They'll take the chill off the ground but not provide padding.
I use the fold up picnic/beach ones to floor my tent when I'm on site for a few days. They're comfortable, clean, dry quickly.

cheers,
Toddy

rg598

Native
It is very difficult to adopt traditional materials to our modern ways of practicing woodmanship. It just doesn't make for a good one to one correlation. I'm not aware of any natural material that will be easily portable yet provide good insulation and comfort. Traditionally, ground insulation was accomplished with blankets or furs when traveling by horse, and by gathering vegetation and dealing with the discomfort if traveling on foot. As an example:

"The Bed of a mountaineer is an article neither complex in its nature nor difficult in its adjustment. A single buffalo robe folded double and spread upon the ground, with a rock, or knoll, or some like substitute for a pillow, furnishes the sole base-work upon which the sleeper reclines, and, enveloped in an additional blanket or robe, contentedly enjoys his rest." Rufus Sage, Rocky Mountain Life, or Startling Scenes and Perilous Adventures in the Far West, During an Expedition of Three Years, 1846

"I had for bed purposes, the half of a buffalo robe, an old camlet cloak with a large cape, and a blanket. I spread the robe on the ground, wrapped the blanket about my feet and the cloak around me, throwing the cape loosely over my head to break off the moonshine, and a saddle for my pillow. And oh! I always slept most profoundly. We had tents, but it never raining and but little dew, we did not use them." John Ball, The Autobiography of John Ball - Across the Plains to Oregon, 1832, 1925

“As to our bedding, it was not very soft, for we were not allowed to carry more than one pair of 3-pound blankets." Charles Larpenteur, Forty Years a Fur Trader, 1898

"We spread our apischimos on the ground out on the open prairie and covered ourselves with riding cloaks and buffalo robes.... We called to our dogs to lie on top of us, as usual, for the purposes of keeping guard and also of imparting warmth. But those canines were every instant scenting nearby wolves, bounding off with great outcry to fight the beasts or drive them away, then lying down on top of us again, scratching themselves and contesting one another's places. Under such restless, disquieting conditions, especially in our overexcited state, we were unable to sleep at all." Rudolph Freiderich Kurtz, The Journal of Rudolph Friederich Kurz 1846, 1970

The above quotes all involve people traveling by pack train, so they can afford the heavy furs. Kephart and Nessmuk give good descriptions of how sleeping was done with natural materials when traveling on foot. Largely people just slept on the ground wrapped in a blanket.

“It was now near dark, and I made haste to make up my flimsy little tent. The ground was desperately rocky. I made out, however, to level down a strip large enough to lie on, and by means of slim alder stems bent over it and tied together soon had a home. While thus busily engaged I was startled by a thundering roar across the lake. Running to the top of the moraine, I discovered that the tremendous noise was only the outcry of a newborn berg about fifty or sixty feet in diameter, rocking and wallowing in the waves it had raised as if enjoying its freedom after its long grinding work as part of the glacier. After this fine last lesson I managed to make a small fire out of wet twigs, got a cup of tea, stripped off my dripping clothing, wrapped myself in a blanket and lay brooding on the gains of the day and plans for the morrow, glad, rich, and almost comfortable.” John Muir Travels in Alaska 1879

“Since the entire camp outfit and food supply must be carried on these journeys, the outfit taken must of necessity be meager. Only a single blanket and a small, light canvas shelter can be taken and to sleep without a fire under such conditions is out of the question.” E.H. Kreps, Woodcraft, 1919

“As for my part I shall be obliged soon to make a Virtue of Necessity for I have torn almost all my Cloaths to pieces by going into the Woods; and tho' we do not want for Taylors, We do, Woolen Drapers. Our Excursions, put me in Mind of your going a Steeple Hunting, We sometimes, put a Bit of Salt Beef, or Pork, Bisket, a Bottle of 0 be joyful, in a Snapsack throw it over our Backs, take a Hatchet, a Brace of Pistols, and a Musket, and away we go, scouring the Woods, sometimes East, West, N. S. if Night overtakes us, we light up a rousing Fire, Cut Boughs & make up a Wig-Wam, open our Wallets, and eat as hearty of our Fare as You, of your Dainties, then lie down on a Bed, which tho' not of Roses, yet staying out all Night, accordingly We laid down our Bread an Cheese Wallets, make up a Wig-wam of green Boughs, cut some dry Ferns for a Bed, lit two or three rousing Fires near our Hut, and set down to Dinner. We sung the Evening away, and about 9 O’Clock retired to Rest, taking it by turns to keep watch, and supply the Fires with Fuel.” George Bouchier Worgan in 1788

“the night following it thundred and rained very faft, and took us at a difadvantage, for we had made no fhelter to keep off the rain, neither could we fee it till juft over our heads, and it began to fall. One of our Indians cut 4 fticks 5 feet long, and ftuck both ends into the ground, at 2 foot diftance, one from another ; over thefe he fpread his match coat and crept through them, and then fell to finging : in the mean time we were fetting poles nflantwife in the ground, tying others crofs them, over which we' fpread our blanket and crept clofe under it with a fire before us and fell faft afleep. I waked a little after midnight, and found our fire almoft out, fo I got the hatchet and felled a few faplings which I laid on, and made a roufing fire, tho' it rained ftoutly, and laying down once more, I flept found all night.” John Bartram, 1744

Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:
I reckon the cotton bag filled with bracken etc would work.
spruce boughs are comfy if labour intensive and material heavy for a short stay.
I definitely want to try the reed mat and I may well try a grass version as thats more readily available in my area.

picking a suitable place to bed down and makin sure it hasnt got rocks/roots/twigs/lumps and bumps is important.
something I did in the winter challenge I attended this Feb was make a bed using two logs at head and foot and balancing thin hazel rods between the two to elevate me from the ground before I laid the spruce boughs on it.
you could try a rope bed or using two long rods thread em through a couple of loops on a cotton sheet making a bed that way (I think John Fenna has done a post on this. I believe Dave Canterbury has also been developing something with Duluth along these lines too could be wrong though)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A hammock?

Much as I love natural fibres (well, mostly wool), I agree with rg598 on this one.

A sheepskin comes to mind but would weigh a ton once wet.

What does a sleepmat do?

+ insulates you from the ground

+ stops moisture from the ground

+ provides padding.

The last one can be ignored if you are young and healthy. Just curl up like a dog in a hollow.

Protection from damp you could get from heavily oiled cloth. Insulation is harder and a karrimat is very hard to beat.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When I made my period trekking gear palliasse from linen / cotton I thought burger authenticity and heavily treated it with
Permethrin. I can't say I've used it much, just to try it out but nowt seemed to bite me but I did sleep fully dressed less boots and gaiters.

atb

Tom

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Wow, some great suggestions - I knew this was the place to ask! I appreciate that many of the insulating properties of natural fibres are lost once they're compressed, but I'm not giving up yet...

So, I'm thinking a combination of something I can take with me as a backup (e.g. a wool blanket folded over three times and placed inside the waxed cotton bivi), plus make a waxed cotton large sack and fill that with whatever I can find on site (dried leaves, etc.). I'm lucky enough to have a large (i.e. 3 acres!) reed bed on my land (plus a couple of acres of very swampy woods!), so very interested in the idea of either using reeds in the cotton sack or making a proper reed mat to take with me as a couple of people suggest. Limaed, have you got instructions on how to make one.

Thanks for the quotes rg598! Mrcharly: spent years using a hammock in my previous incarnation as a survival instructor/exped leader (jungle), and will no doubt use one again, but just want to give sleeping on the floor a go.

Any further ideas?

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Wow, some great suggestions - I knew this was the place to ask! I appreciate that many of the insulating properties of natural fibres are lost once they're compressed, but I'm not giving up yet...

So, I'm thinking a combination of something I can take with me as a backup (e.g. a wool blanket folded over three times and placed inside the waxed cotton bivi), plus make a waxed cotton large sack and fill that with whatever I can find on site (dried leaves, etc.). I'm lucky enough to have a large (i.e. 3 acres!) reed bed on my land (plus a couple of acres of very swampy woods!), so very interested in the idea of either using reeds in the cotton sack or making a proper reed mat to take with me as a couple of people suggest. Limaed, have you got instructions on how to make one.

Thanks for the quotes rg598! Mrcharly: spent years using a hammock in my previous incarnation as a survival instructor/exped leader (jungle), and will no doubt use one again, but just want to give sleeping on the floor a go.

Any further ideas?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Its not too difficult to make a mat and quite an enjoyable project - just be careful when collecting, reeds like squelchy mud!

To start take a handful of reeds then fold them in half. Tie your cord like you would your laces but add an extra twist at each end of the bundle - add a third line in the middle if you wish . You need to judge how much cord to use as its easier to start half way along the cord. For a two metre mat You probably need about 12 metres of cord. The cord I use is natural & handmade although not by me (I found it in the local recycling centre). After that carry on in the same fashion and finish by trimming the edges to the desired width. Bracken stalks and Rosebay Willowherb stalks could also be used. You can use green materials but dried / dead are better. You could use the same technique for a duvet with softer grasses

For a tighter weave you could fashion a bush loom - this is illustrated in Richard Graves's Bushcraft. My technique was taken for Ray Mears's Outdoor Survival Handbook. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Too late to add much, but Im with rg598. I swear by Kephart, my Dad had the book and you can download a copy free from the net. Book of Woodcraft and Camping by Kephart, or Camping and Woodcraft by George Washington Sears (Nessmuk). BTW, as I'm a noob here, I apologise if I'm treading on any toes or I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. Also, thanks for the other books mentioned.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I read in a old camping book (not quite scouting for boys but that sort of illk) about hay loft mats. Stuff a hessan sack with hay or dry grassiin layers to trap air. Never triedvit myself but I can vouch for pine bows been as comfy as a proper bed

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE