Natural-fibre sleep mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Put it this way.....a sheep is smaller than us, but it's fleece weighs everything from 5 lbs to 12lbs.....how much do you think you'd need under you for warmth and comfort ? We went to the bother of spinning and weaving blankets for a good reason :D
Felting works, but again, since it's so dense, it's heavy when made up in bulk.

I think if you were going to go to that bother it might be a better idea just to carry a reindeer skin. Make sure you get one that won't rot when put down on the ground though, and accept that it will lose hair; they all do, some worse than others.

There's no easy 'natural' answer to this. Either you must make your bed where you find yourself, or be prepared to carry weight.

These days I take a down mat :D but it doesn't quite fit in with the natural kit idea :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Hmmm, good point! I've been thinking on this for weeks now and not come up with the perfect solution. It seems the best option is to take an extra blanket and improvise with what's available in the woods...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Put it this way.....a sheep is smaller than us, but it's fleece weighs everything from 5 lbs to 12lbs.....how much do you think you'd need under you for warmth and comfort ? We went to the bother of spinning and weaving blankets for a good reason :D
Felting works, but again, since it's so dense, it's heavy when made up in bulk.

I think if you were going to go to that bother it might be a better idea just to carry a reindeer skin. Make sure you get one that won't rot when put down on the ground though, and accept that it will lose hair; they all do, some worse than others.

There's no easy 'natural' answer to this. Either you must make your bed where you find yourself, or be prepared to carry weight.

These days I take a down mat :D but it doesn't quite fit in with the natural kit idea :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

That's sound advice! We had two reindeer skins which we sold on as they shed normally but we thought it was causing me an allergy, which it turned out it wasn't (it's chemicals like floor cleaner) and the shedding was kind of annoying. However we got a siliconed hide at new year and it's great, no shedding at all! However I wouldn't fancy carting one around on my back- so I'd say your solution of another wool blanket and browse etc is the best for you :).

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
my grandad and grandma, when they used to go scouting with boys before ww2, used straw with a sewn up blanket for a sleeping bag, doesn't seem that heavy. For a long term movable one a row of bundles tied together? This may be the straw that breaks the camels back though. As for fibres found along the way, i would thave a waterproof and padding layer on hand

But on the whole of it living heather with nothing but a bivvy and sleeping bag inbetween is only bettered by a new highly expensive sprung matress.

edit

Woven reeds with a filler ?

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I can remember a great many years ago getting a couple of MOD "hospital" beds from an auction, it was a wooden folding bed complete with palliase, yes a straw mattress. These were apparantly part of the Protect and Survive hidden bunker civil defense precautions in time of nuclear war.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Traditional Japanese tatami mats are made on a foundation of compressed rice straw. They actually sound like a processed form of the palliases. Both kinds are warm but they do need to be kept dry or they go mouldy pdq.
How heavy were yours Laurentius ? the only ones I've ever made were pretty hefty. Took most of one of those small rectangluar hay bales to fill them.

cheers,
Toddy

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Isn't horse hair supposed to be a good insulator?

Though again has the problem of bulk and weight.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Traditional Japanese tatami mats are made on a foundation of compressed rice straw. They actually sound like a processed form of the palliases. Both kinds are warm but they do need to be kept dry or they go mouldy pdq.
How heavy were yours Laurentius ? the only ones I've ever made were pretty hefty. Took most of one of those small rectangluar hay bales to fill them.

cheers,
Toddy

The wooden bed frame was far too heavy for camping, but I don't recall the palliase being that heavy, of course I was a lot younger then.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I read in a old camping book (not quite scouting for boys but that sort of illk) about hay loft mats. Stuff a hessan sack with hay or dry grassiin layers to trap air. Never triedvit myself but I can vouch for pine bows been as comfy as a proper bed

Thank you very much Xylaria, I now feel old... thats what we did when I was in the scouts lol

I have to ask the OP, why the need for natural materials?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE