Native american quotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
As many of you who have watched Sir Ray on tv will know, as far as Bushcraft is concerned we have alot to learn about them! But what about in life? There are some fantastic pearls of wisdom and I think we should shae some of the quotes we've heard, this is my favourite:

"Only when the last bison is killed, the last tree felled and the last river poisend, will humans realise that they can't eat money."

Add yours!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've seen this credited to Native American & African peoples, but the sentiment is what matters - not who said it...

We have not inherited the world from our forefathers,
we have borrowed it from our children.

Simon

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
"never trust a man till you've walked five mile in his moccasins"
don't know if it's a real one, but my uncle used to say it...
jon

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If you put your bible outside the wind and rain will eventually destroy it, my bible is the wind and rain.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Stjon, the quote you state is from the following.

Cherokee Prayer
Oh Great spirit,
grant that I may never find fault
with my neighbor until I have walked
the trail of life in his moccasins.

A nice one I like

When you were born, you cried
and the world rejoiced.
Live your life
so that when you die,
the world cries and you rejoice.

Or the more comical one of the day

Girl with no knickers on runs faster than man with no pants on! (OK, so I made that one up, but it would have been a belter if sitting bull had said it.) :) :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
A good one has to be :

Never judge a man till you have walked a mile in his moccasins, then who cares? You have his moccasins and he is a mile away!

Nag.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Two braves out hunting. The youngest sees lots of Bison at the bottom of a large hill. "Quick, dad lets run down and kill us a Bison!" the father shakes his head slowly, "No son, lets walk down and kill them all"

Actually, this is a near quote from the film Colours which has nothing to do with Native Americans, other than the fact it has Americans in it, maybe even a few native ones...It's an old film now and I can't remember.

Nag.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Thinks>

Heres two, flippant mayhap but authentic.

Fuegeian (on social class amung his people) "No, we have no rank, then men are all captains and the women all sailors" (E Lucas Bridges "The Uttermost part of the World")

Knud Rassmussens seamstress (On top of the empire state building) "I thought I was sleeping but now I know Im awake; Nature is great but Man is greater still." (Knud Rassmussens "Across Arctic America")

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not a saying or quote but the blessing that my wife and I had read at our wedding, :)

Apache Blessing

Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be the shelter for the other.

Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be the warmth for the other.

Now you are two persons but there is only one life ahead of you.

Treat yourselves and each other with respect and remind yourselves often of what brought you together.

Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves.

When frustration, difficulty and fear assail your relationship - as they threaten all relationships at one time or another - remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong.

In this way you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives - remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there.

And, if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight.

Go now to your dwelling place to enter into the days of your life together.

And may your days be good and long upon the earth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE