National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
It’s the most common and available weapon that I’ve seen in various insurrections, rebellions. I tend to think of it as “the people’s weapon”.

I hate them.
 
As a sidenote, politics do run the country. It's politicians who influence the very subject of this thread, so it's difficult to discuss the National Risk Register and various points introduced, removed or omitted, without touching the subject of those who decide its contents.

.
I cant disagree with that - BUT... previously similar useful threads have become closed and shut down by the Forum moderators ( doing their job ) because people have been unwillingly/unable to stop themselves from commenting in areas of politics even when politely asked and advised to do so.

Which is a shame and a loss.
To all.

As a useful tool/analogy I try to think its like discussing the concept of a library without having to refer to the librarians themselves in person - we are here to discuss the books available in the library and not much more.
 
I cant disagree with that - BUT... previously similar useful threads have become closed and shut down by the Forum moderators ( doing their job ) because people have been unwillingly/unable to stop themselves from commenting in areas of politics even when politely asked and advised to do so.

Which is a shame and a loss.
To all.

As a useful tool/analogy I try to think its like discussing the concept of a library without having to refer to the librarians themselves in person - we are here to discuss the books available in the library and not much more.
I get your point, and I won't be mentioning politics again. Although anything could be taken to refer to politics one way or another, so I'll have to really think twice and be extra careful with wording :smile:

My luck just reminded me its presence; in an incredibly well-timed power cut we are currently experiencing in the glen, we all just went outside and had a blether with the neighbours. The powercut map shows an area way bigger than Edinburgh, yet there are just 100 properties affected, probably 300-400 folk. The joys of the sticks!
 
  • Like
Reactions: TeeDee
I don't think it's politics so much as an urban culture of total utter reliance on 100% reliability of everything always being there on tap, at the press of a button. Also a focus on "stuff" as a form of social status. Maybe a side effect of too much affluence? Also dependency, someone will always come and make it better, we are entitled to it!

When you live an hour drive from the nearest supermarket via roads which get snowbound every winter, and electricity is a single cable up valley and regularly blows down in storms, the calculus changes. You pretty soon keep a stock of food and can cope in a power outage- or you move back to the city.

When I'm was a bairn, we lived rural, shopped once a week and the power went off every winter storm. And we got snowed in quite a bit. Bit that is a rare background. I learned pre teen how grim it is being snowed in and running out of coal to heat the house...... (too skint to buy a couple of tonne in the autumn, buying as we needed it).

Those who were raised in urban places post 1970's just have no experience as a reference point. Also things like the grid are badly understood- I had to explain grid inertia and then black start to an engineering colleague the other day. He just assumed if the windmills turned locally, it would be ok there.......

Resilient culture vs dependent/entitled culture. Thats the divide..... add in people of different world views and its gonna be rough in a lot of places if we get rolling power outages this winter

GC
 
It's also a very prevalent attitude that they will get nessasary stuff later. I have one female friend who has nothing prepared and I've been asking every now and then for the past two years how she's doing on the list I gave her. She admitted again this week she hasn't done anything except buy some puzzles to keep entertained.
. I do hope she doesn't come knocking on my door, but I do have an ikea stove, a box of matches a bag of twigs, and some candles put by for her if the worst happens. The rest is up to her. She's had two years to sort things out. It's realy annoying! Im not her mother!

Other friends are now beginning to realise what I've been talking about and are now getting into gear,all be it a bit late in the day. But at least they are trying a bit harder now.
I've always had the habit of stocking up everytime something is on offer, just two tins at a time., today was two tins of peaches, trawling the charity shops as often as possible for woollens, blankets, candles, or anything that can be used in a power cut, or go into an off grid kitchen.
Today's wool scarf and stove top fan were an excellent buy. I almost missed the fan, as it was on a low down shelf, but I thankfully saw it just as I was about to leave.
I thank heavens im able to go to my local charity shops every day, and pick up the bargains. It can take months to find what I need sometimes, but it always seems to appear at the right time.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE