N.E Scotland 2nd meetup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I know. I finished night shifts on Monday and I'm not back at work until the Wed after the meet ( god I love being part time!) Laying turf on Friday but planning to start packing kit into a wooden chest over the weekend, then the following week look at making bannock mix and other camp type recipes to bring along... Anyone any suggestions?

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Aye, it's nowt fancy- cheap wooden box that held tools in the garage- thought it would make a good seat / table.

Cook off sounds good..... Now, must go practice.....

KP

Ironside

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2008
New Deer, Aberdeenshire
If I managed to get a couple of pigeon for saturday night would anyone be able to help me gut and cook them? The few I have shot in the past I just take off the breast meat and pan cook it.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey folks , finally back on.

I will happily judge a cook off because I havent tried to make bannock yet and I can learn from you guys:) and I will also put up a little prize for the winner.

Chaz once again Happy B-day mate ( Glad you managed to figure out it was me on FB lol).

Ironside that would be great mate and I have no probs giving you a hand and we can turn it into a little lesson for those who are interested.

Another thing Panda reminded me to mention is when we are in the fenced off area it will be fine to carry sharps but if you have to go out of the area it would be better to leave them with your other belongings as it is a public area.

As for the group meal how about something like wagonmaster stew?? http://www.delishia.com/crockpotrecipes/WagonmasterStew.htm

if we can agree on a meal we can star sorting out who would like to bring what

Craig

Last edited:
Ironside...would this be where you somehow flip the breast bone out and can take the breast meat off or do you have another way of doing it? Thats the way I did it in the past, interesting way of doing it and messy. :)

The stew looks interesting Craig. Seems simple enough to make.
As for the bannock mix, I guess I better get some ingredients. I have only done it a couple of times before and once outside. So it will be interesting.

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Thanks for the birthday wishes guys

If Vness can remember what went in the pot at Comrie croft, that was a nice easy stew would vote for it.

Bannock is very different cooking outside, think i might make an oven to cook mine in.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi All :)
Looking forward to the meet up next weekend. I'm just sorry that i can't make it for the three days. I will be away in Finland for the next two weekends, so for the sake of family harmony I can only come along on the Saturday !!
Please let me know if you want me to bring anything, I have a 6l Dutch oven, a large frying pan, fire grid and a group kettle if you need them.
Ages ago, back in this thread, I had offered to do willow cordage, I can still do that if you'd like, otherwise I'm happy to just come along, chill and chat :)
Hope to get there mid-morning ish, loooking forward to meeting everyone,
Bye for now,
Doug

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Totally understandable Osprey mate, Finland sounds a great place to go and I hope you have a good time.

If you want to bring any of your kitchen kit it would be most welcome.

If we can fit it in I am sure everybody would be interested in the willow cord otherwise like you said just come and relax for a while.

Ok so its only a week to go :)

Does anybody need anything/ need to know anything ???

atb

Craig

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
We're going to have to back out off this one :(

Got old friends coming up now from down South :)

Shame they had to come up this weekend, I was really looking forward to another meet. But we havent seen our friends for a couple of years, so will enjoy catching up with them.

Hopefully will make it the next time.
Have a fab time guys!!!
Ness :)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ok folks heres a simplified recipe for the group stew:

WAGON MASTERS STEW

3lb. Dice beef
1tsp. sugar
½ cup flour
2Tbs. worcestershire sauce
1tsp. salt
½ tsp. Paprika
1tsp. Pepper
11/2 tsp. tobasco
¼ cup olive oil
2 pints hot water
2 bay leaves
15 oz. can kidney beans
1tsp. thyme
corn flour or gravy mix (optional)
1 lb. bag frozen corn
1 lb. bag frozen petite peas
1 lb. bag frozen green beans

Trim excess fat from meat and cut into 1" cubes. In a medium size bowl combine flour, salt, and pepper and stir to mix. Add meat and mix until meat is well coated.

Heat a 12" deep Dutch oven or large pot. Add olive oil then meat and brown meat on all sides. Add onion and garlic and continue cooking until onions are soft and translucent.
Add HOT water, stock cubes, bay leaves, thyme, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and tobasco. Stir to mix completely. Bring to a boil then add carrots and celery. Return to boil and let cook 15 minutes. Thicken with corn flour or gravy mix is neccessary.
Stir in remaining ingedients and bring contents to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are soft.

Serves: 15-20

If anyone has a better recipe or better way of doing this please pm me asap. The cut off poiint is 10pm tonight when we will set this in stone. I will then put up a list of ingredients and you can put your name against what you can bring. I will split the meat into 3 portions to cut down costs.

I will also be bringing rabbit and hopefully pigeon which we can fry up as a side.

Craig :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE