My wife says...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That my hobbies take up too much room....
Views of "The Spare Room" AKA "My Sewing Room", "The Trophy Walls", "The Bushcraft Gear Store"....

From the door
002.jpg

Floor space (unused)
003.jpg

Trophy Wall and sewing bits storage
005.jpg

Trophy Wall 2 Crafts for Sale storage
007.jpg

Behind the welcome banner (stolen from the Albertville Winter Olympics) is a storage tower for fabrics etc.
The cutting table is actually a fixed bench along the wall (with storage under) plus a pasting table and sheet of hardboard both of which tuck away when not in use.

Am I really taking up an unreasonable amount of space (my sleeping bags, kipmats, knives and some other bits live elsewhere around the house and the Garage is too small to hold a car as well as my workbench, anvil, belt sander, seasoning wood, canoe kit .. the 2 canoes live on a custom frame in the garden)?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
John I'm thinking of building a barn or big shed for hobbies.

Which is onl worrying when you consider that we already have four.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I can see at-least 3 square feet you are not utilizing there John. Ok you may have to enter the room through the window but hey.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can still see the carpet; you do not have too much stuff.

:D

Right now I have four sheds and a greenhouse, and it's barely possible to walk into any of them :sigh:
Himself says the loft won't take any more stuff, and the kitchen table is presently buried under my quilting. I have three piles of stuff on the living room floor ready to go to other people, and generally life's busy and interesting :D

Houses with no stuff around always leave me lost for words. What do you talk about ? what do they do ? what do they make ? what do they read?
Different world view I reckon.
Imagine being bored :shudder: or having nothing to do but watch tv :yikes:

M

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Houses with no stuff around always leave me lost for words. What do you talk about ? what do they do ? what do they make ? what do they read?
Different world view I reckon.
Imagine being bored :shudder: or having nothing to do but watch tv :yikes:
This. I sometimes grumble about stuff being stewn everywhere, but it's as much my stuff as his. I figure that stuff means you do things. No stuff speaks of a sterile and dull life.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
“Being creative is aided by breaking away from tradition, order, and convention and a disorderly environment seems to help people do just that.”
Kathleen D. Vohs - University of Minnesota

Z

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My wife says....

Lots of things but I tend not to listen :p

** goes and runs off to hide in a cupboard before the flying iron finds me **

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Fortunately I'm not hitched so....no nagging
Instead it's parents....naggin
It's a matter of 1 shed brimming over
Timber piled up in corner of garden
Bush and hiking kit stored in bedroom cupboard and assorted other places
And the brick built shed (used to be dads workshop) which I use now
AMD a rather large piece of MDF on the bedroom floor that is currently a cutting board and sewing table for the leather projects

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think you need an annex ;) I have a similar sized room as my new office, plus a shed out back for all my dyeing and riveting, and a concrete shed out the front for firewood and pack storage :D
An annex!, I think Captain Fenna should be offered a wing in a stately home.

Seriously it's one of the reasons I live alone (SWMBO doesn't even live in the same hemisphere, never mind the same continent). So the book collection has spread so that every wall is lined with bookcases. The gear is everywhere, though stored; sometimes too well.

Nice MP40 Mr Fenna, a trophy of parachuting into take on the Bosche during Operation Market Garden?;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
An annex!, I think Captain Fenna should be offered a wing in a stately home.

Seriously it's one of the reasons I live alone (SWMBO doesn't even live in the same hemisphere, never mind the same continent). So the book collection has spread so that every wall is lined with bookcases. The gear is everywhere, though stored; sometimes too well.

Nice MP40 Mr Fenna, a trophy of parachuting into take on the Bosche during Operation Market Garden?;)
MP40 and helmet are souvenirs of playing in "Allo, Allo" :) Cheeky swine - I ain't THAT old (really - I'm not ... I just feel it some mornings and look it a lot of the time!)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Is the overall space you have split evenly by all family members?

There are only the two of us - we each have our own bedroom (her snoring meant that I had to drive her out of the marital bed - she can still wake me through the wall!) and the dining-room, kitchen and living room are mainly hers, most of the garden is hers (though the hedge and canoe racks are mine, the back yard is all hers and the bathroom is a 50/50 split but she has sole ownership of the garden shed. The loft is mainly a costume store for theatrical stuff for the Attic Player ... which we both belong to!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
MP40 and helmet are souvenirs of playing in "Allo, Allo" :) Cheeky swine - I ain't THAT old (really - I'm not ... I just feel it some mornings and look it a lot of the time!)
Hehehe, Sorry Mr Fenna. Was it the TV series or a stage version? Always laughing when seeing Colonel Kurt von Strohm played by Richard Marner when he was a German guard in The Dirty Dozen.

Hey at least I didn't commit the cardinal sin of calling your MP40 a schmeisser!

Lovely collection of stuff Sir.

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
MP40 and helmet are souvenirs of playing in "Allo, Allo" :)

picture.php

Which episode? :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE