Advice on buying a 7 foot slate bed dining pool table for the Shed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
a few weeks back I decided to finally shift some deactivated guns I had lost interest in before the new EU law meant I was stuck with them or have them further butchered in order to legally sell at a later date. I was still keeping half a dozen but these had been surplus to my requirements for several years but I'd been too lazy to sell. Any road within a half a hour of the add going up I had a buyer and had doubled my money which was most gratifying. Most of the cash went into the house fund but I kept a little back to buy something frivolous.

Anyroad, in my misspent youth I was fond of pool so I thought, 3 teenaged sons, there's plenty of room in the Shed (35 foot by 25), we could really do with a big table up there so my tarty work bench doesn't have to be used for stuff like sewing or to support their huge war games table etc, how about a 7 foot pool table, the size I used to play on in pubs. There's a sort that's styled like dining tables with a false top that looks ideal for my purposes, because of the two flights of stairs I wouldn't be able to get the deep pub sort up to the Shed but assuming the legs unbolt a dinning table one would be easy enough. Also I could build or find storage to go between the legs when it's all set up.

New ones seam to go for £650 to well, you can pay thousands. A good second hand one would suit me fine, must be slate bed and must have green baize ( red, blue etc is just wrong ) and since folk often buy them and find out their dining rooms are too small after all they don't seam to be rarities on the second hand market.

I've 300 in the kitty so far but I've got a bunch of other stuff to sell/eBay before there's space cleared for it to go and although most of the proceeds will go to the house there's a big box of rare Great War model plane kits I bought way back when that I've declared the profits from I'm keeping to blow on stuff for me, materials, tools and what not.

So since I've never bought a pool table before can anyone offer advice on the brands to avoid, places that sell them second hand/ refurbished, what to be wary of, etc etc, please?

We are in East Lancashire and don't really want to have to ship it too far, we've a roof rack we can fit to the car which should be ok for shipping it if well boxed/ padded or I dare say we could hire someone with a van.

Cheers for any advice!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE