My Svord Peasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Me again :)

Most of my threads seem to be about knives and start with a hat tip to MOT.

I'll vary this one slightly and say thanks to a fine chap called Sam for the blade ;)

Chatting with Sam I mentioned I'd missed out on a Svord Peasant listed on this good forum and wished I'd gone for it. It's not a knife I've come across so was interested to check it out. He mentioned he had a blade from a Svord and if he found it he would send it and I could make my own.

What a blumming (thank got I caught that auto-correct :) ) nice fella.

Well here it goes. I did not take that many pics, so here is what I have.

147182318cf8593170ec5dcae4959721_zps191cb6c9.jpg

My plan as I needed to work out a handle shape and make sure pins are in the right place

0d1f78dc03c3db6b19367cc8242a4b68_zpscfa7c6b0.jpg

Scales of maple. I had a small block left over from another project.

66f8e14a580d8eda444751f5a0160d2f_zps11c4b8d3.jpg

Rough shape to my liking :)

7e84d55440f584e3f8ce997dd609a3c0_zpseff446fd.jpg

Sanded smooth, and some brown leather dye.

2d2df820c0e9ec7be8c03b301f683581_zpsf5fee674.jpg

And a wet formed sheath dyed with vinegroon.

It's a nice little setup and knife. I've not handled a Svord before and I quite like them. Nice blade. I'm looking forward to trying it out in the woods. I'm also looking forward to trying the Mini as it seems a better pocket size.

Thanks for looking. Now comment :) good and bad :bye:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
That's a lovely looking knife mate, good old "Sam" for sorting you the blade out :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Leather dye? On wood? Hmmmm hadn't considered that thinking outside the box. I love that colour the Maple turned out. Nice one.

:You_Rock_

I like Svord's and customised my own a couple of years, there are a few others who contributed pix of their own in the thread. You can find it HERE
me neither, nice one.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the comments all. :)

Leather dye? Well because a wanted to dye it and its all I had :)

I'm sure wood dye would be better. But for one little project I could not justify the outlay. And the leather dye was just sat there. So I thought, its all pigment, try it. Word of warning fiebing's light brown looks very ginger with one coat :) - on wood at least.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I like this a lot, did you grind the blade to make it UK legal?

No just as it came from Sam but a quick rub with a scotchbrite pad.

Not measured it in fairness, but thought it was about 3" anyway. Will check that out. Mini will be the better carry knife I think, once I've made it :)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
can i ask for some advice please mate, as i have has some saddlers sewing clams come this morning mate, have waited for such a long time for them.
and i want to add the stripes and pimp them a little, did you add the dye with a dauber? or a paint brush and what colour did you use mate.
any help would be appreciated bud.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Fiebings light brown was the colour.

Watered down the first coat as I was not sure how dark it would go but this just came out ginger. So I switched to using it neat which was a better colour and built over a few coats. I just used cotton buds to apply it as they are cheap and to hand.

Stained well. When I oiled it the oil lifted some of the colour which lightened sections which I liked. No idea long term how colour fast it will be, but I guess the oil will seal it once that hardens.

If I was doing more I'd stump up £10 for wood dye, but it was to hand and I figured spirit based dye, try it.

Hope this helps :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE