My new knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I put together the knife and matching firesteel over the Christmas holidays but i had to buy leather and tools to make the sheath so i only got it finished today.

Anyway here's my first proper attempt at a sheath.
410_1003_1z.jpg

410_1006_1z.jpg

410_1011_1z.jpg

This type of loop allow the sheath much more movement and is much better than the normal style of loop (as on the WS Woodlore sheath).
When sitting down or getting into a vehicle the sheath just moves out of the way and it's really comfortable to wear.
410_1021_1z.jpg

410_1018_1z.jpg

410_1023_1z.jpg

I learnt a lot doing this and although i have a long way to go it was very enjoyable and rewarding.
The Eklund blade is scalpel sharp ,it hasn't had much of a trial yet but when i have used it (making the sheath mainly) ,it has proved to be very capable.

rb

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
how long is the handle? I am thinking of getting one of those blades and putting some handles on it also. I have largish hands. How does it fit ya?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Geoffrey said:
how long is the handle? I am thinking of getting one of those blades and putting some handles on it also. I have largish hands. How does it fit ya?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

Scales are approx 4 1/4 "and the blade is approx 3 1/2".
It's 1/8" thick and 7 3/4" over all.

Maihkel supplies the finished blade ......

665476d9.jpg

......so you make the scales what ever size you require and shape them to fit.
I just kept shaping it a little and then checking it untill it felt right ,so it's about perfect for me but might be all wrong for someone else.

rb

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Very impressive, may I ask where you got the pattern for the sheath (mainly the loop idea) and who supplies your leather?

Cheers

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
allenko said:
Very impressive, may I ask where you got the pattern for the sheath (mainly the loop idea) and who supplies your leather?

Cheers

For the belt loop i copied my Alan Wood ,Bushcrafter sheath.
I got my leather and tools from Le Prevo http://www.leprevo.co.uk/index.html
Having an overstitch wheel an adjustable stitch groover and an edge beveller made the detailing and the stitching really neat.
I spoke to Peter at Le Prevo and he really couldn't have been more helpful.
When i explained i had no experience he talked me through what i needed ,basic technique and explained how to use the tools ,dyes etc.
To get set up for sheath making i spent about £110.00.
But for that i got 15 square feet of leather ,all the necessary tools and enough dye's and finishes to give 3 different colours / finish's.

rb

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Once again fantastic stuff RB :super:

I might make a belt sheath for my A.W Woodlore so its great to see how this can be done and how good the results are !

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I'd say my own WS Woodlore is in line for a sheath make over in the not too distant future.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi rapidboy my next shealth´ll have this loop desing.
I see you like airguns me too I have a R17 markI and I´m very happy with it is so boring hitting everything, :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE