My kit - any suggestions?

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Looks good to me apart from a few extra clothes for the winter months or if you're staying out for more than 3-4 days (even I've got to change my socks after a couple of days. :) )

I'd say you could probably get all that (and rations) in a 45 litre sack. Do you need such a large (and heavy) sack such as that Sabre?

Just an idea.

Pablo.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice kit, how about a little radio/mp3 player? I can't go a weekend without an hour of music or Radio 4 somewhere along the line:rolleyes:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The SFA is a nice bit of kit but a big old lump to lug around. Are you sure about the weight to benefit ratio?

Also, your FAK looks huge. Does it suffer from an "everything but the sink" syndrome? FAK's can be tailored to what you are doing. There is no real need to carry a full on mountain FAK for a couple of nights in the woods. All you really need is some iodine, a blood stopper, some plasters and a mobile phone.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Blimy!
I carry more than that on a half day walk!
Looks nice and light yet covers everything I guess - except the sloe gin/birch beer...
but I guess that is what the extra space in the sack is for!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
debatable but you might want to replace the black diamond headlight with a petzl.

lighter and easier to wear with a hat,also wearable around the neck when not in use.

if you have the 5 led version it does give a hell of a lightbeam though :)

The Black Diamond has replaced a Petzl Tikka Plus which lasted less than 2 years. Good while it lasted but ...!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
To answer a few points in one -
  • My phone always goes with me and has a reasonable camera, mp3 player & radio on it.
  • My FAK is the one that I use on school D o E expeditions, and I am familar with it and its special additions (including notepad & pencil)!
  • The SFA is the axe I use at home for splitting firewood and rarely goes out with me as my local wood is not suitable for open fires.
  • The Sabre 60 -100 IS a big bag, but does compress well with all the built in straps & zips. For day walks I use a Sabre Hydro 30.
  • No i don't carry a water filter, but i do carry puritabs - but am looking into a Millbank bag.
  • Extra clothing is carried in a 15L roll top dry bag when out & about.
  • Have been told that Father Christmas is bringing me a set of Collin's Gem field guides!

Thanks for the feedback!

SImon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
so whats the emergency rations called:)

Now here lies a story - When we bought him the deal was the kids could choose the beast if I could choose the name - aparently "Pie" is not a suitable name for a rabbit! no sense of humour some people.

Anyway as he is a Lion Maned Rabbit the kids & SWMBO settled on "Simba".

They wouldn't let me call the guinea pig "Kebab" either!

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
What type of sleeping bag is in the picture?

Its a cheapo Wynnster 2 season - What you can't see & I forgot to list is the silk liner packed with it. The combination of liner, bag & bivvy bag keep me toasty most of the year. When it gets really cold I change bags to a larger Snugpack which is -10 rated (again with silk liner as it means I don't have to clean the bag as often) and bivvy bag.

Simon

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Looks like a good standard kit. I'd only make a couple of changes -

swapping the axe for a bow-saw (I tend to prefer a saw, and while bulkier, they're generally lighter).

Possibly not using the thermarest (depends on camping surface, availability of other soft materials and need for insulation though).

I also tend to carry some snares and basic fishing kit, although this obviously depends on where I'm going.

and of course, I always carry a couple of plastic shopping bags - perfect for collecting materials/food, rubbish bags, emergency gaiters/boot covers etc - always find a use for them!

However, I always find that no matter how much you can cut down your kit to be lightweight, its food and water that always make it heavy again :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE