Rip My Kit Apart!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Neil1.

Very nice Video. And a nice setup. Wish I could do something similar, however I'm camera shy. So it would never happen. Thanks for sharing.

Scopey.

Yes I'll have to rethink my clothes routine! Maybe I'm carrying a little too many!

Barney Rubble.

I just couldn't. I love and ill say it again...
I love Army Rations. There is nothing in there I dont like! And they are just keep getting better. As you can see I only take two and a 12hr pack with me on a weeks trip meaning that I have to make up rations with anything wild!
If I could carry 6 days worth... I would cirtainly try.

Andywragg.

I never got Issued a golok? However the knife I have was given to me as a leaving present. It has my name rank and number stamped onto the hilt.

Tonyuk.

Well. I carry 4 batteries in total. Two for the radio and two for the torch. They are the same size so can interchange if needed. Sorry, that's not 4 sets.

The bin bag situation, I'll probably loose two. Rubble sacks are a little too hard wearing for rubbish I think.

I have 4 mini Carabiners and a couple of "s" shaped metal hooks, I mainly use them for hanging things on the ridge line, hanging rabbits on branches. etc totally pointless as I have paracord, I know.

I refuse to carry a lighter. Full stop.
Steel, flint and char cloth gets anything going, if it's crap weather I'll use a bigger bit of charcloth...

I'll agree with the axe.

I'll look at my clothing.

I carry powder in my wash shaving kit.

I love my Helly Hansen, that and my Para Smock and Shemarg make a great combination. The problem with a softie is that the melts with fire sparks, and you end up with a holey puffer jacket. I'm sure that when I get too big for mine ill have to look out for something else.

Thanks

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Andywragg.

I never got Issued a golok? However the knife I have was given to me as a leaving present. It has my name rank and number stamped onto the hilt.

Thanks

I was never issued one either- officially, at least it wasn't on my personal equipment list. I think I got it issued to me when we went trekking in Mexico and strangely it never made it back to the stores. Nice leaving prezzy.

I carry 3 different types of cordage -
traditional paracord - I borrowed a full spool of the white and black stuff they use for rigging airdrop loads from 47 air despatch squadron on a visit once.
3mm cord (Grizzly cub) - I first used this in the TA/Signals for the antenna element spools (I was a radio tech), but managed to get a load for use as comms cord. Great for lashing stuff together and making lanyards for torches, compasses etc. lighter and less frayable than full paracord.
Jute/garden twine - disposable and burnable(tinder) cordage.

Last edited:

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Steve27752

Lol
Old habits die hard...
Wash and Shave before first light!
However my timekeeping skills arn't what they used to be!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Neil1.

Tonyuk.

Well. I carry 4 batteries in total. Two for the radio and two for the torch. They are the same size so can interchange if needed. Sorry, that's not 4 sets.

The bin bag situation, I'll probably loose two. Rubble sacks are a little too hard wearing for rubbish I think.

Apologies i thought they were for waterproofing kit not taking out rubbish. But drop a few if you can, the vast majority of waste from rat packs etc. can be burned anyway if you have a fire.

I have 4 mini Carabiners and a couple of "s" shaped metal hooks, I mainly use them for hanging things on the ridge line, hanging rabbits on branches. etc totally pointless as I have paracord, I know.

I refuse to carry a lighter. Full stop.
Steel, flint and char cloth gets anything going, if it's crap weather I'll use a bigger bit of charcloth...

Fair enough each to their own, make sure it stays dry.

I'll agree with the axe.

I'll look at my clothing.

I carry powder in my wash shaving kit.

I love my Helly Hansen, that and my Para Smock and Shemarg make a great combination. The problem with a softie is that the melts with fire sparks, and you end up with a holey puffer jacket. I'm sure that when I get too big for mine ill have to look out for something else.

I've solved this by buying a cheap XXL t-shirt and wearing it over the softie if i'm near a fire. The cotton keeps the softie from melting and when it gets ruined they get made into char cloth.

Thanks

Its good talking about dropping bin bags etc.. but you wont see any real weight or bulk savings from that. Look into clothing, food, water & tools. There's always savings to be made in there.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Nic Le Becheur.

Well where do I start?

The old saying goes anybody can be uncomfortable?

I guessing Nick that your a minimalist?
I have been there and done that, and there is nothing wrong with this perception of the Bushcraft Hobbie, as long as your doing it on your terms...

- I am, by many folks' standards, a minimalist, but that doesn't mean one can't expand one's comfort zone by learning to do without, or to substitute.
For me, it's a comfortable thought to know that at 10 minutes' notice I could grab a bag, and disappear off the grid, without the need for wheels to transport all my kit. It's about independence as much as anything.

As you say, much depends on what one means by bushcraft, and why one does it.

All best,

Nick.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ok
Well as the title says! "RIP MY KIT APART"

I want to list all my kit that I carry in general.

In basis hasn't changed too much in a long time (one bergan for another and swop this for that, but in general the format has stayed the same!)

I would like some fresh ideas!

I was a Survival / Escape and Evasion freak when I was in the army and loved being outside... I have tried to keep my skills up since being out... However I like my creature comforts and hate being cold, but on saying that I prefer the colder conditions to hot summer months!

Some of this kit is original (nostalgia kit from when I left the army with 11 years ago) So couldn't go even if I wanted. The items in question stand out like a sore thumb.

This kit listed is for a 4night - 6 full days camping trip which I normally do with my son in tow...

I have the luxury of being able to camp on a 12 acre wood which has a stream at one end, so Fishing isn't out of the question...

The opposite side to the river backs onto farm land where I have permission to Shoot / "pest control" where I can bolster my rations with Rabbit, Hare, Squirrel, Pigeon and Pheasant. There are wild mushrooms in the wood amongst other greenery, and I have also seen Fallow Deer All though these are too big for what I require!

So with all that in mind!

75l Arcteryx Bergan.

Top Pouch:-
Paracord 15 feet
Small Folding Trowel
Titanium Spork.
Black Bin Bags x3.
Fallkenives DC4 knife Sharpener
Snare's x3.
Small Hobo Fishing Kit.
........................... First Aid Kit.
Sawyer Water Purification kit and 2x 1L bags + tubing.
Small Selection of Mini Carabiners and Hanging Hooks.

FAC Licence!

2x 24hr Army Ration Packs and 1x12hr Pack.
(Devided between second top pouch and two wingman pouches) main meals get bagged and go in main pack.

Main Pouch:-
48 pattern Waterbottle with Plastic & Metal Mug and a Metal Lid all in a soft pouch.

Solo Stove and 900 Pot. Stainless Steel.

Fire Starting Kit (No lighter) Flint and Steel with Tinder.

Gransfors Wildlife Axe.
Laplander Saw
Bayley Knife

Half-Wit Dutchwear modded Hammock, RidgeLine with dyneema lines with titanium attachments.

UK Hammock Overblanket and Underblanket (Winter)
ENO ParaPillow.
DD 3x3 Tarp. Wrapped in two DD Hammock Sleeves.
Titanium Pegs in a Tread Lite peg bag.

Spair Trousers, T-shirt and Underwear (separate waterproof bag)

Dry night clothes (separate waterproof bag) consisting of
Ron Hill Trousers & Longsleved shirt
Army Arctic Socks and ............................

Bath Towel (size of Coke Can)

12g Cleaning Kit Complete in small tub.
25 Shotgun Shells.

Front Pouch:-
Old Helly Hansen Green Fiber Pile Fleece, Old Green Para Smock, Shemarg and lightweight Gloves.
Dupont Black Tyvek Ground Sheet.

Depending on weather a North Face Waterproof.
Rabbit Skinned "Hunters" Hat.

Carrying:-
Benelli M3 Super90 Kromo Shotgun in waterproof sock.

As you can appreciate this is no lightweight kit!
Weight is never a problem, Space sometimes is!

The only issues I HAVE is with the DD Tarp.

Given my circumstances, what would you swop or change? And please give you reasons...

Many Thanks.

There. Fixed it for you!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Ok
I was a Survival / Escape and Evasion freak when I was in the army and loved being outside... I have tried to keep my skills up since being out... However I like my creature comforts and hate being cold, but on saying that I prefer the colder conditions to hot summer months!

Know that one on the cold front. Being cold is never fun.

Some of this kit is original (nostalgia kit from when I left the army with 11 years ago) So couldn't go even if I wanted. The items in question stand out like a sore thumb.

75l Arcteryx Bergan.

What's the weight on that? Sounds heavy. Do you need such a large heavy pack?

Top Pouch:-
Letherman Wave.
Head Torch.
Radio (handheld)
Spair Batteries x4.
Paracord various lengths.
Small Folding Trowel
Military Hand Flairs.
Titanium Spork.
Black Bin Bags x3.
Fallkenives DC4 knife Sharpener
Snare's x3.
Small Hobo Fishing Kit.

Unless you're in the sea, or using a rod, the hobo kit is not legal in the UK, so take that out.
Why carry the flares? If you're that remote, noone's going to see them, better off investing in something like an inreach or similar.

What's the radio for?

Ditch the paracord, it's horrible stuff, get some [thread=132553]dyneema[/thread].

Medical Gloves, Medical Scissors & First Aid Kit.
Sawyer Water Purification kit and 2x 1L bags + tubing.
Small Selection of Mini Carabiners and Hanging Hooks.

FAC Licence!

2x 24hr Army Ration Packs and 1x12hr Pack.
(Devided between second top pouch and two wingman pouches) main meals get bagged and go in main pack.

1x 1L Camelbak Waterbottle in wingman pouch.
1x Metal Puritii Ariix Water Purification System in other wingman side pouch.

48 pattern Waterbottle with Plastic & Metal Mug and a Metal Lid all in a soft pouch.

Two water filters? Surely the sawyer is enough, if you want a backup, stick some puritabs in your FAK ?

That 48 pattern bottle and cup has gotta be heavy. Ditto the camelback bottle. Why not go for something like the evernew pouches?

Food wise is that 2x 24hr packs and a 12hr pack in total for 6 days? If not don't you find the packs to be a) heavy and b) way too many calories for when you're not actually in combat?

Gransfors Wildlife Axe.
Laplander Saw
Bayley Knife

You carry a leatherman wave which has both a good saw and a couple of decent blades. Why do you carry that and then the knife and saw here? Surely you could leave the wave at home and save 300g? If you need the pliers, why not a PS4 or Juice CS4? ¼ and ½ the weight of the wave respectively.

Half-Wit Dutchwear modded Hammock, RidgeLine with dyneema lines with titanium attachments.

ENO ParaPillow.

Dry night clothes (separate waterproof bag) consisting of
Ron Hill Trousers & Longsleved shirt
Army Arctic Socks and Beanie Hat.

Wash / Shaving Kit and a Collapsible Bowl in a B/P Bag.
Bath Towel (size of Coke Can)

25 Shotgun Shells.

Old Helly Hansen Green Fiber Pile Fleece, Old Green Para Smock, Shemarg and lightweight Gloves.

Depending on weather a North Face Waterproof.

Benelli M3 Super90 Kromo Shotgun in waterproof sock.

As you can appreciate this is no lightweight kit!
Weight is never a problem, Space sometimes is!

The only issues I HAVE is with the DD Tarp.

Given my circumstances, what would you swop or change? And please give you reasons...

How much are you willing to change? I'd lose the hammock, the 3x3 tarp, the over and under quilts, and the pillow, then replace them with :

• Alpkit Rig 7 tarp - With dyneema guys
  • Exped Synmat Winterlite + schnozzle pump bag
  • Exped UL pillow
  • PHD minimus over bag
  • Alpkit Hunka Bivvi bag.

Keep the titanium pegs. That lot should be lighter and more compact than your current setup.

J

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I fact, I would lose the saw too. No need to start building anything with heavy timber as I see it.
Axe and a knife is enough.

Most of the Swedish Same people do not even carry an ax. A good knife is enough for weeks and weeks in the forest.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I fact, I would lose the saw too. No need to start building anything with heavy timber as I see it.
Axe and a knife is enough.

Personally, in the UK, I would rather take the saw than the axe on many a trip. Felling a tree with a saw is much kinder to the tree than with an axe, the wound from an axe is going to be harder on the tree.

An axe has carving options, and does make splitting wood a lot easier, without risking your blade by battoning. The only reason I didn't say this in my original reply is I felt it impolite for one craftswoman to criticise another's choice of tools.

Most of the Swedish Same people do not even carry an ax. A good knife is enough for weeks and weeks in the forest.

It depends on your skill level, what you're doing, and where you are.

J

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Personally, in the UK, I would rather take the saw than the axe on many a trip. Felling a tree with a saw is much kinder to the tree than with an axe, the wound from an axe is going to be harder on the tree.

An axe has carving options, and does make splitting wood a lot easier, without risking your blade by battoning. The only reason I didn't say this in my original reply is I felt it impolite for one craftswoman to criticise another's choice of tools.

It depends on your skill level, what you're doing, and where you are.

J

Taking a saw or an axe implies there will be need to take down trees or you will need to cut up branches more than a couple of cm's across.
There is no need to do this, imho. Fallen branches are excellent for a small fire. Those can be broken with hands, or by applying your body weight on them.

To baton a knife is perfectly fine for smaller branches. Of course you need to know how to do it, but then this applies to everything?

A good knife/axe alternative is a tool like Fiskars Brush Hook ( as they call it). I have been using one made by Marttiini since the mid 70's.

I find that most non Scandinavians build a fire that is too big. One of my Same boys, Sten from Vilhelmina, told be - you Stockholm people work hard to get lots of firewood, then make a big fire then sit far away from it, but we only get enough for a small fire, make some coffee and sit close to the fire to get warm and enjoy the coffee.
In civilian life he owns reindeer. At least I hope he still lives!

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I don't do nearly enough bushcraft/camping to really get involved but I think you are both making very valid points.
I would say though it doesn't really matter if you NEED an axe or a saw or a knife or a machete or anything else.
Most of why I do bushcraft and camping is because I WANT to use an axe or saw or knife (or hopefully a Skrama if I can find the requisite monies.)
It might not be how you would do things but there really is no right or wrong, it depends on what you've learned, what you like doing and what toys you like playing with.

I'm guessing the OP is actually pretty savvy when it comes to what to take for his purposes and was merely looking to start up some discussion and see other points of view.
It sounds to me that a lot of his stuff has sentimental value or is there to keep up practicing skills he's learnt. To that end I'd probably avoid trying to cut down on the toys/tools and look more at clothing.
Unless I was planning on being social I'd only take the clothes I stood up in, spare socks, pants and a set of sleepwear that could double up as day wear if absolutely needed. Absolutely fine for a week of getting back to nature and leave a just in case bag of clothes in the car.

I'd also be tempted to leave a pack of stuff permanently in the wood, very unlikely to be found but just in case I wouldn't leave anything of sentimental value and just swap in a cheap alternative. (you could even leave vacuum packed sets of clothes in a water tight container, they'd be fine for months.)...

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Good point leaving some stuff in the wood. I did that myself when I lived in Sussex.

My suggestions/ ideas/ recommrndations were based on trekking, where practicality and weight are important.
Of course, if you want an axe, bring an axe!

So much equipment? Colchester in the UK maybe?

Others have said what they've thought best but I aint trying to change your mind but just give you some thoughts from what we might take on a similar short hunting trip of that time:-

Letherman Wave. = I don't know what this is.
Head Torch. = maybe but not in summer
Radio (handheld) = No use here
Spair Batteries x4.
Paracord various lengths. String??
Small Folding Trowel What for? Make from forest wood!
Military Hand Flairs. In case you need rescue?? In the UK has anyone used flares for this
Titanium Spork. Whats this?
Black Bin Bags x3.
Fallkenives DC4 knife Sharpener You are going for six days - what you doing that needs this?
Snare's x3. Can you set them??
Small Hobo Fishing Kit. ??
Medical Gloves, Medical Scissors & First Aid Kit. ???
Sawyer Water Purification kit and 2x 1L bags + tubing. ??? Just need boiling where beaver live
Small Selection of Mini Carabiners and Hanging Hooks. ?????

1x 1L Camelbak Waterbottle in wingman pouch.Whats this
1x Metal Puritii Ariix Water Purification System in other wingman side pouch. Boil water

48 pattern Waterbottle with Plastic & Metal Mug and a Metal Lid all in a soft pouch. Agjh!! now I see more water bottle?

Gransfors Wildlife Axe.
Laplander Saw
Bayley Knife

ENO ParaPillow.

Dry night clothes (separate waterproof bag) consisting ofSleep in your vest you wear at day time or put your next days shirt/vest on and keep for next day time
Ron Hill Trousers & Long-sleeved shirt ???

Wash / Shaving Kit and a Collapsible Bowl in a B/P Bag. [ We generally always wash in the river or stream we camp by.
Bath Towel (size of Coke Can) dry yourself on old clothes

25 Shotgun Shells.

Old Helly Hansen Green Fiber Pile Fleece, Old Green Para Smock, Shemarg and lightweight Gloves. More clothes!!

Depending on weather a North Face Waterproof. Even more clothes. Hot damm!

Benelli M3 Super90 Kromo Shotgun in waterproof sock Looks like you're going hunting geese maybe??

When I took guided trips on some of our rivers I was always amazed at the amount of stuff europeans/anglo's took with them. Most tools was too small or weak to be used properly. We take biggest Axe we can and biggest saw we can!. Equipment is no substitute for ability to know how to live well in the forest. I see you take one hammock and two tarps? We;d take one good tarp and use it for shelter and sleep on forest floor, but if bad weather we'd sleep on one half of tarp and shelter under the other half folded over.

If we were in canoes we'd simply pull the canoes out of water and sleep under them.

I've met anglos who are comfortable and at ease in our northern forests enough to live happily but these have nearly always been folk who hunt in the forest and spend long time in it. My uncle used to teach 'survival', but I don't think the forces now use us anymore. Maybe we don't know enough about kit?.

I've had a couple of ex military guys on the trips too but all of them relied on kit they though they needed but didn't need and had way too much gear anyway. Both were from Canada and both claimed they were 'survival' experts. Yet neither could identify track, signs, very well and neither could identify the birds, their songs and meanings. As for edible plants they walked or canoed by more than we could have eaten but didn't recognise any. Better be able to walk at ease with no gear for a few days than carry too much on back with big problem and discomfort. But funny enough the most skilled at what we value was an English man from Yorkshire..

Learn to live with the forest and not to bring your world into the forest...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Taking a saw or an axe implies there will be need to take down trees or you will need to cut up branches more than a couple of cm's across.
There is no need to do this, imho. Fallen branches are excellent for a small fire. Those can be broken with hands, or by applying your body weight on them.

Yes and no. I take a saw because it's a lot easier to saw wood when over about 20mm( ¾" ), it saves me leaving the woods with a bruise on my knee. It also allows me to make a smaller fire because I have more control over the size of the wood.

Picking up wood off the ground is rarely the optimal option, it's likely to be damper than dead standing, Thus having the ability to chop down dead standing, or cleanly remove branches is worth it, esp for the minor weight penalty of a saw (I have a 34g saw that I use).

To baton a knife is perfectly fine for smaller branches. Of course you need to know how to do it, but then this applies to everything?

Yes and no, and it depends on your knife, the main cause of breakages for those using the Mora clipper knife is battoning.

I find that most non Scandinavians build a fire that is too big. One of my Same boys, Sten from Vilhelmina, told be - you Stockholm people work hard to get lots of firewood, then make a big fire then sit far away from it, but we only get enough for a small fire, make some coffee and sit close to the fire to get warm and enjoy the coffee.
In civilian life he owns reindeer. At least I hope he still lives!

You're preaching to the perverted here. I wrote an article on here about small cooking fires as I got fed up of seeing pictures of people sat 10' away from bon fires feeding in half a forest. You can read it [thread=137561]here[/thread]

Unless I was planning on being social I'd only take the clothes I stood up in, spare socks, pants and a set of sleepwear that could double up as day wear if absolutely needed. Absolutely fine for a week of getting back to nature and leave a just in case bag of clothes in the car.

Agreed. I take a spare set of clothes, plus what I am stood up in, plus enough knickers for the trip (but then they only weigh 23g per pair). I take the approach of having a sleep set, and a day set. The sleep set lives in a dry bag so it's dry, the days set may get damp, but I dry it over night.

A quick look on wikipedia suggests that Colchester is infact in the UK.

A quick google would tell you that a leatherman wave is a multi tool.

Why do you not carry a head torch in summer? Does it not get dark where you live?

Military Hand Flairs. In case you need rescue?? In the UK has anyone used flares for this

That assumes you're always in the forest. My trowel is 54g, so it's no great hardship to carry it. Also saves having to carve a stik when I'm busting for a dump.

Googling would tell you what a Spork is.

Black Bin Bags x3.
Fallkenives DC4 knife Sharpener You are going for six days - what you doing that needs this?

Snares are legal as long as they meet certain design requirements (to protect deer etc...), and you have the permission of the land owner.

Surely the need to carry a sharpening stone is based on how much you use the knife, rather than how long you're away. I've used a knife enough in one day to need to give it a sharpen, I've also been able to go months between sharpening. Given the choice, I'd rather have a sharpening stone handy. Afterall, a sharp knife is a safer knife.

Sawyer Water Purification kit and 2x 1L bags + tubing. ??? Just need boiling where beaver live
1x Metal Puritii Ariix Water Purification System in other wingman side pouch. Boil water

The Camelbak water bottle is a waterbottle... it does kinda say that in the description...

Boiling water works (assuming no chemical contaminants), but it is very energy intensive, and time consuming, the sawyer mini is 65g, so hardly a major weight in the pack. I would however only take it and some puri tabs as backup. I wouldn't take the other treatment system.

48 pattern Waterbottle with Plastic & Metal Mug and a Metal Lid all in a soft pouch. Agjh!! now I see more water bottle?

It's worth noting that Colchester, in the eastern side of Britain has a rainfall on a par with that of Israel. As such there is a need to carry more water than you might in an area of lakes, rivers and streams such as Canada. It's also worth noting that even in places in the UK with streams, not all of them are safe due to agricultural run off, many of the areas I camp in the water isn't safe, even with boiling.

Wash / Shaving Kit and a Collapsible Bowl in a B/P Bag. [ We generally always wash in the river or stream we camp by.

If you end up reducing the amount of clothes you carry, the amount of spare that you can use to dry yourself is also reduced...

Washing in a stream or river is usually not advised, you're just contaminating the water source with your soap. Better to carry water 200ft from a water source to wash.

Benelli M3 Super90 Kromo Shotgun in waterproof sock Looks like you're going hunting geese maybe??

Staying dry is important, hence waterproofs are a good idea. I think the shotgun is more for rabbits and flying game...

Agreed, that's the point of bushcraft.

I have a [thread=140694]separate thread[/thread] for the contents of my pack. I'd be curious your take on that.

J

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire

Others have said what they've thought best but I aint trying to change your mind but just give you some thoughts from what we might take on a similar short hunting trip of that time:-

Radio (handheld) = No use here
Spair Batteries x4.
Paracord various lengths. String??
Black Bin Bags x3.
Small Hobo Fishing Kit. ??
Medical Gloves, Medical Scissors & First Aid Kit. ???
Small Selection of Mini Carabiners and Hanging Hooks. ?????

Gransfors Wildlife Axe.
Laplander Saw
Bayley Knife

ENO ParaPillow.

Dry night clothes (separate waterproof bag) consisting ofSleep in your vest you wear at day time or put your next days shirt/vest on and keep for next day time
Ron Hill Trousers & Long-sleeved shirt ???

25 Shotgun Shells.

Old Helly Hansen Green Fiber Pile Fleece, Old Green Para Smock, Shemarg and lightweight Gloves. More clothes!!

When I took guided trips on some of our rivers I was always amazed at the amount of stuff europeans/anglo's took with them. Most tools was too small or weak to be used properly. We take biggest Axe we can and biggest saw we can!. Equipment is no substitute for ability to know how to live well in the forest. I see you take one hammock and two tarps? We;d take one good tarp and use it for shelter and sleep on forest floor, but if bad weather we'd sleep on one half of tarp and shelter under the other half folded over.

If we were in canoes we'd simply pull the canoes out of water and sleep under them.

I've met anglos who are comfortable and at ease in our northern forests enough to live happily but these have nearly always been folk who hunt in the forest and spend long time in it. My uncle used to teach 'survival', but I don't think the forces now use us anymore. Maybe we don't know enough about kit?.

I've had a couple of ex military guys on the trips too but all of them relied on kit they though they needed but didn't need and had way too much gear anyway. Both were from Canada and both claimed they were 'survival' experts. Yet neither could identify track, signs, very well and neither could identify the birds, their songs and meanings. As for edible plants they walked or canoed by more than we could have eaten but didn't recognise any. Better be able to walk at ease with no gear for a few days than carry too much on back with big problem and discomfort. But funny enough the most skilled at what we value was an English man from Yorkshire..

Joe , you got it in one...
This is the essence of Bushcraft.

The more you know , the less gear you need .
Or so it should be... unfortunately not like that over here.

I really admire the first nations way of life and how the knowledge of their surroundings and the skillset is directly connected to spirituality, self reliance and ability to provide a healthy , happy life.

The thing is , here people (me included)
are worried they will come across problems (such as cold, hunger, being lost etc.) and will not be able to cope very well, or maybe they just want to improve their comfort outdoors by purchasing more gear.

We have grown too soft and far detached from our environment and what it provides.
we are slowly reconnecting with our surroundings and becoming more "in tune" but the consumerism and materialistic values of our society , conspire to doubt our ability, so we buy , or carry "just in case" equipment...even if we're never likely to need it.
Crazy world huh?
😂

Thanks for your input Joe!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I do not want to sit on a high horse but I have a feeling we brought up the Scandinavian way of interacting and living in the wild are more in tune with it.
Joe T is a couple of notches above us "white" Scandinavians, he is more on par with the Same people.

I could do and enjoy a 2-3 week trip in northern Scandinavia with half of what you want to pack. Yep, my clothes will smell, specially my underwear...

if you feel the need to pack flares, radios and most of the stuff you mention in your original post, you are not talking real bushcraft.

Edit: I sm using the expression white Scandinavians just to distinguish between us and the Same in an easy way, no racism intended!

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I do not want to sit on a high horse but I have a feeling we brought up the Scandinavian way of interacting and living in the wild are more in tune with it.
Joe T is a couple of notches above us "white" Scandinavians, he is more on par with the Same people.

Yep, I get the feeling that both you and Joe have been bought up with an attachment to nature and the wilderness, you're taught to track, to forage, to live in the wilds. Funnily enough neither my school, nor my parents taught me either. Sure my mother did teach me what she thought were important skills - Cooking, house keeping, Sewing, Carpentry, Bricklaying. Her parents didn't teach her foraging or tracking or survival, so she wasn't able to pass that on to me.

As such I'm very much on the backfoot compared to first nations people. The more we learn, the less kit we need. It doesn't help that in the UK we don't have the wilderness that Scandinwegia or Canada has. We also don't have the same climate, or the same resources.

Both yourself and Joe have more knowledge and experience than many on this forum. We could learn a lot from you both. Simply telling us we're anglos that take too much and don't know what we're doing doesn't help. "You're doing it wrong" is not helpful "Why don't you try doing this..." is more helpful.

I could do and enjoy a 2-3 week trip in northern Scandinavia with half of what you want to pack. Yep, my clothes will smell, specially my underwear...

I would be really interested to see your kit list for such a trip, could you start a new thread with your kit list in it please?

Thanks

J

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
This...

"Both yourself and Joe have more knowledge and experience than many on this forum. We could learn a lot from you both. Simply telling us we're anglos that take too much and don't know what we're doing doesn't help. "You're doing it wrong" is not helpful "Why don't you try doing this..." is more helpful."

I am always happy to learn, and spend a lot of my time doing just that.
But to learn you have to be taught.
And as is often the case it is easier to learn in youth, than as an adult.
I currently tutor in my spare time and am often reminded what is easy for one is hard for another.
What some on the forum will take for granted, others will find impossible.

Also, please don't forget 'bushcraft' whatever that is, is a broad church.
There is no right or wrong way there's your way and maybe someone else's way.
Your way is probably best for you but might not be best for them...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE