My first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
After deciding that I would have a go at making a knife, well putting a handle onto a knife, I purchased this blade: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13059

Determined not to ruin such a nice looking blade I spent a while deciding what I would do with it. I did a bit of reading on British blades but got well and truely lost on there but made my mind up pretty quickly I was going to jump in at the deep end and make things a little harder for myself and thought I would try to use a couple of materials and make it look a bit more interesting.

So....After snapping 2 drill bits and getting one of them well and truely stuck in the block of wood I was starting to think I took on a lot more than I could chew :cussing: but I stuck at it and after some fine work with a pair of neddle nose pliers to remove said drill bit :rolleyes: ...I kept at it and this is my finished result.

167283016_52bfa1b740_o.jpg

Hopefully my efforts will inspire some others to give it a go, becuase if i can do it...So can anyone!!! :lmao:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nice one Andy,
So are you hooked yet, want a go at something else, You'll be looking at forging your own before you know it. ;)

Well done

Ogri the trog

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Phil, will take some more photos later tonight hopefully.

Handle Materials:
Curly Birch, buffalo horn, vulcanised fibre and nickelsilver. (Other than the birch the materials came from Brisa)

Ogri...yes mate, i'm already having a good hard think about what to try next. Think I may try a stock removal blade next but think i lack some of the tools I'd require at the moment.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
nice work andy good starting point.
a couple of questions: how have you finisheds the birch? does it have a weather proof finish? and what a bout a sheath?
James

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
James, at present I am still finishing the finish with sandpaper and wet'n'dry. Once thats done i'll give it a good polish over and treat it with some natural danish oil.

Sheath...hmm let me get back to you on that one LOL :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE