My first knife effort

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Well, to be totally fair, I bought or traded the 3/4 length knife blank a few years ago and then bought or traded the scales before buying the fibre cards and brass pins. The whole lot sat on my bookshelf and then dining room table and then drawer ... until eventually I committed to beginning it.

The reason I procrastinated so much was the lack of tools to begin the project properly but I finally set to with a bandsaw and pillar drill. I clamped the whole lot together with the blank on one side and drilled the holes through the pack in one go. I then countersank the one side (wooden blank, as it happens) and used machine screws to bolt the pack together before cutting around it with the narrow blade bandsaw. Sadly, this burnt the fibre inserts a little bit and I have been unable to get it all sanded out again at the end.

Once the rough shape was cut out I removed the blade and filed the end profile closest to the blade. Once shaped, this was sanded at 180, 280 and 400 grit. I then used Unibond Repair Extreme Power Glue and glued each piece of the pack to the next piece before clamping it with three small screw clamps.

After a day of curing, the fun began and I attacked the handle with a half round file and the three levels of sand paper. All that is left now is the final oil / finish to weather proof the handle. I am not 100% happy with a few things, like my initial woodcut was too close and there is a tiny piece of metal showing below the handle at one end, the card burnt on the powersaw and hasn't sanded out well enough and there are one or two blemishes on the steel and the wood...but as a first effort, I am very pleased and glad I pushed myself to add the red and black liners!

I am sorry about the lack of photo's and knowledge of the wood etc ... I am hooked now though and it wont be long until I make the next one!!

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Thanks. I don't know (shameful really) - it takes a good spark off a firesteel and hard filing efforts only left a couple of marks on the spine if that gives any clue

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Thank you for your kind comments. I have a pair of maple scales waiting for the next blank (Im thinking a fieldcrafterUK blade perhaps) and I am hooked already! I have two Series Land Rover springs off my old truck that are waiting to be softened in the fire before I grind them into the blank shape, temper and then handle it as a truly DIY effort.

If you haven't handled a knife yet I can whole heartedly encourage you to do so, I may not be good enough to sell them (although my work colleague is twisting my arm to make him one) but I have enjoyed the hours spent here and there over the last week immensely!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Mate that's a cracking looking knife. I love that handle. If that's a first attempt then your next one ought to be Damm near perfect.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
I am impressed that you recognised the blade maker, I said I bought or swapped it but couldn't remember who from or where. It is a great blade, lovely and sharp and soon to be even better once I have oiled the handle and given her a fine tune!

I wonder if he has any more for sale before I look at the fieldcrafter blanks?!

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
By coincidence I was just looking at his site (found by searching FGYT on here) - I am a fan of the DWC knifes but, as I have said, like the look of the fieldcrafterUK blades too. I had not intended to take the credit for Duncans blade within my finished knife.

By coincidence I was just looking at his site (found by searching FGYT on here) - I am a fan of the DWC knifes but, as I have said, like the look of the fieldcrafterUK blades too. I had not intended to take the credit for Duncans blade within my finished knife.

Sorry bud, was confirming the maker not having a go. You clearly stated it was a blank you handled and a very good job you have done of it too...

Been meaning to handle a blade myself, so nice to see options.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
i've seen worse m8 and well done for getting into gear....but you should know what i'm gona say next....make the next one!!! lol

after, that is....getting it on a belt sander and slightly reprofiling those stickyout bits of metal flush with the wood.

regards

a

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Compared to my first effort (which I keep to remind myself of how far I have come...) that is excellence personified!
If you have access to a belt grinder you could remove the metal that exceeds the limit of the scales and no one will be any the wiser.... call it a "custom grip shape" :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I expect Duncans tangs are hardened and tempered... if so a diamond file would be a cheaper option than a belt grinder... but if you want it sorting, i will do it for you, for the cost of the return postage (£5). Probably cheaper than the file :) Its literally a 2 minute job for me.

If you have access to a belt grinder you could remove the metal that exceeds the limit of the scales and no one will be any the wiser.... call it a "custom grip shape" :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE