My first forged blade is now a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Some while back (well must be 18 months ago :rolleyes: ) I forged a blade, using the Rayburn for the heat, running outside for a few blows of the hammer and back to the Rayburn...

DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1146.jpg

DSCN1145.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

The stick tang blade is 01. I made the bolster out of a piece of mild steel, etched with ferric acid and minimal amount of filework around the edge.

I have partially wrapped the handle with thick linen thread and glued it in place with a mix of pine resin, bee's wax and charcoal (simply because I like the look of it :D ) and made a simple deep sheath with some thick "aged" hide to hold it. It's sewn with thick linen thread, the holes punched by hand with an awl and the spacing worked by eye, so it's a bit wobbly.

I think I am going to polish the white area on the left of the antler handle to try a bit of scrimshaw. It won't matter if it's a bit rough, the whole knife and sheath are anyway!

I am quite pleased with this one. A bit of a rough,Moutainman'ish, sort of knife, made for the fun of it. I hope you enjoy seeing it.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Wow! That's fantastic, I love the hammer marks in the blade. Really well done Draven. I totally love that knife.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Very nice :D I have the very same leather as you, too :p

It's not bad is it? I am going to make a belt or two with the rest of it. It may be a bit thick for pouches and the like though. I am assuming its some chrome tanned leather, may not be so good for leaving the knives in the pouches for too long.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thank you gentlemen. The slightly Nessmuk'ish shape is rather due to my inexperience in forging than design! I started with a straight bit of metal and bashed it! that gave it the curve of the blade then I chopped the end at an angle and bashed it some more!! But regardless, I am happy with it.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Wow! That's fantastic, I love the hammer marks in the blade. Really well done Draven. I totally love that knife.
Much as I'd love to be able to make that, you mean Jojo! :p

It's not bad is it? I am going to make a belt or two with the rest of it. It may be a bit thick for pouches and the like though. I am assuming its some chrome tanned leather, may not be so good for leaving the knives in the pouches for too long.

Pretty good, aye :D Definitely has a nice rustic feel, I was worried it would look artificial but it does seem very natural. I like the way the edges round the mouth of the sheath went on yours, I'll need to try that on mine :D

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE