My first ever kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
In my job I'm never short on wood and decided I should make use of it so after numerous spoons I decided to jump in the deep end and attempt a kuksa..... Think I let the wood get to dry as struggling to hollow out the cup. Only holds just over 100ml was hoping for 300! oh well we live and learn.
52274c4d-a3be-28b6.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
Nice job. Hmm, I reckon carry on! You've got this far after all.

Gosh looking at your shavings it really does look like hard work. Sharp tools!

Last edited:

blanco1962

Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
What wood did you use, off to northern Sweden in feb and need a project fro the long nights and like you need to break the spoon habit!!

greensurfingbear

i used birch, kept a nice piece of trunk aside when we were felling last year. Split it in half and then worked on it from there using a small axe and saw to get a rough shape then a curved gauge and crook knife to do the inside. Gonna call it quits with this one as its going VERY slowly should have finished the bowl when the wood was still fresh, feeling like I am chipping out rather than carving lol.

Gonna keep my eyes open for some burrs in the next bit of woodland we thin.

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Looks toodles mate. I finally took the plunge and ordered a crook knife last night so I can start some carving.

Keep up the good work :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
If you in no rush then take you time and finish it up a bit more. It's looking good, but if you'd made it a bit thinner I think it would have A LOT more cappacity. One of my friends when I showed him how to use a spoon knife took two weeks to makes his first bowl. Everyday he would spend an hour or two, carefully chipping out wood bit by bit. And what a bowl he ended up with!!! A beauty and one of it's kind! So take your time... :)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
looks good Mick,....

better than mine!! (not even tried yet)

if you find any nice burr, about knife handle sized,...keep in mind it was me that made you a cuppa saturday when no one else offered,....hahahahaha

cheers mate,...

speak soon,..

Stu

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Fair play,

I have a birch spoon that still needs the bowl carved out and I'm hoping it won't be too hard. Can you soak it or anything to soften it or would that just ruin the wood?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work! I'd keep going back to that one, if you think thats difficult you'll love Burl wood!.
Keep at it mate you have made a really nice looking Kuksa.

Rychard

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
cannock staffordshire
nice one now you have made the sample:rolleyes: next one for real
my one and only attempt came out much smaller than pland but got my eye on a bit of sycmore but need to get after the shooting season as next to the phesant pen:nono:

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
For turning green wood (bowls) and i dont see why it would be different for carving, i have used washing up liquid it stops it spliting when drying out and you get nice continuous ribbons of wood. It seems to turn much easier and if you get the right washing up liquid smells kinda good too :)
What i did was rough the wood out first and then throw it in a bucket of 60/40ish of cheap wilko washing up liquid/water for a few days and the either continue to turn or let dry out to turn later. It works really well and I dont see any reason why this wouldn't work for carving. You could just throw the green wood in and then carve in your own time
Oops... by the way nice job ive done a good few goblets but never one of those.....

Shutz

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE