First attempt at amadou

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
On a recent day trip I came across a nice specimen of horses hoof fungus. (Formes something something....) I took it home and decided to have a crack at making amadou, with the idea of seeing firstly if I could do it, and secondly so if I did manage to make it, then I will carry it when I'm out.

I cut the hard outer skin off while I was still in the forest, so I did not get a picture of it. But here it is on my kitchen work top, ready for the boiling water....
c9ad0cdecf6012921b5bd1303eec59c2.jpg

After doing a fair bit of research into making amadou, there appears to be two chains of thought. It's either A: a laborious time consuming event, which requires considerable constant observation, along with many changes of water, mixing in wood ash etc, OR: you can just chuck it in the pan and boil it to death before processing. Needless to say, I went for option two. Always the optimist me.......

Here it is, in the pan, bubbling away.
168aae50fcce8259469ebf5a90749908.jpg

I sought other distractions for an hour or so. My wife will be pleased to know that I managed to clean the kitchen, empty the dishwasher and fill it again AND consume four digestives and a cup of tea....

Suitably refreshed, I pulled the steaming fungus from the pan after oh I don't know, an hour and twenty minutes? I let it cool for half an hour, then I took it outside to the wood block and bashed it for a few minutes, until it looked like this.
1ab5977c5ffaf1e1303e412636822f90.jpg

Not pretty eh? So I hung it on a hook to dry, returning every now and then to stretch it out and tease out the fibres. Over night it dried and remained subtle, except for a few spots where I hadn't cleaned off the spores completely. The next day I took it into garage to fluff it up and give it a go on my flint and steel. I used the faithful woodlore to scrape up a little bundle of fluff.
269003264359e1978c7380531b084218.jpg

I out it on the flint and got cracking. It took bloody ages to take a spark. I think, having read more on the subject, that this is because the fluff needs to be micro-charred before it takes properly? Either way, after a good while flashing those little sparks it took.
6026b2c74313126f314d41044083d3d9.jpg

Success!

So now I will carry my new amadou and it will be my primary tinder from now on. No need for char cloth. If I find horses hood fungus I will collect it and turn it into amadou, only now I will do it on the trail. But that's for next time....

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Well done!! I just came across a massive horses hoof fungus and thought about taking it for amadou, but I'll I'll definitely take it next time I come across one! Lucky for me there is loads where I am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Nice! I found a good sized horse hoof fungas before, but I failed so miserably at removing the hard layer, as it was like concrete, and then the spores were also difficult to remove with just a knife.

Maybe I got a old,hard one. I'll be sure to try again when I find another!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE