"Trekopp" alias kuksa: my take

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I have seen them and used them, but never owned one. Can't say I have longed for a such a cup of my own, but after seeing so many pictures of other peoples work as of late I have come to want one, DIY that is.

No birch burl at hand, but some dense pine stored indoors for ten years is worth a try. I wanted to do it all with hand tools, but used a mitre saw to cut a suitable piece off the pine plank and later an electric drill to start the finger hole.

Carving the dry pine is hard. Did the inside yesterday and the rough part of the outside today. Status:

kuksa.jpg

Plan: More outside carving (incl round edges), more sanding (inside and finger hole, the rest will be left unsanded) and then finishing the cup with walnut oil. I normally use linseed oil when finishing wood, but wanted to try something different this time, and have got the impression that walnut oil is a good alternative.

PS) Where I live we call the kuksa "trekopp", which simply means wooden cup.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You might look into fine art supplies for oil painting. Some artists prefer walnut oil.
I would not know if it contains additives to speed oxidation/drying.

I prefer to do an oven baked vegetable oil finish which cannot be washed out of the wood.
Recently, I painted a shallow dish with straight bee's wax and did the same oven-baking process.
While it worked very well, the beeswax mess/splatter was a dreadful chore to clean up.

Frog3F_zps1d5rmyoz.jpg

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
It is often sold in supermarkets in small bottles for salad dressing use. If it is not available in Norway let us know.

Thank you. My girlfriend got the oil from an international food store, and the cup now looks like this:

kuksa_03.jpg

I prefer to do an oven baked vegetable oil finish which cannot be washed out of the wood.

Should I give my cup some time in the oven? If so, at what temperature and for how long?

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is a piece of wood to be proud of.

Walnut oil dries and seals, so the application as made should be sufficient, and you can always top it up later.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Love the grain, The oil will make it look 100 times better too.

kuksa_03.jpg

Should I give my cup some time in the oven? If so, at what temperature and for how long?

I love the difference!

if you did want to bake it 325 F/ 165 C (ish) about 3 minutes and it should come out fizzing, stand it on some tin foil or grease proof paper and slap a load of oil on. I find it easiest to pour it in the cup and slap it on with a pastry brush.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The wood is thick enough that it might take 4 minutes to see a good "fizz," certainly no more.
humdrum's explanation of Charles' Law is excellent. Using simple physics and Charles' Law, you cannot wash that oil finish out of the wood.
You are always running the risk of crap expanding and cracking. But as I did, never happened once.
I don't do spoons any more. Maybe you see where I was at.

BirchBjpg_zps809d28de.jpg

SpoonsAjpg_zpse4099eaf.jpg

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Thank you for the baking recipe! I need to think about it - I'm not used to ovens when oiling; a brush and a good amount of time is my usual way, like in this case:

norwegian_wooden_boat.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My method is to oil the wood, then onto a wire cake rack over a sheet pan and into a preheated 325 oven for 3 mins 30 seconds.
Charles' Law takes over and heats/expands the wood air. Out of the oven I expect to see wood air bubbles fizzing through the oily surface.
Maybe a little more oil on the dry spots and let them all cool to room temp. Wipe away the excess oil = finished.

Took me a moment to realize that I'm looking at the stern of the boat.
There's something about wooden boats that metal and plastic just can't match.
I hope that turns out well.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Took me a moment to realize that I'm looking at the stern of the boat.
There's something about wooden boats that metal and plastic just can't match.
I hope that turns out well.

The boat is a 1973 Norwegian "snekke". The hull is pine on oak, oiled with many many litres of linseed oil mixed with misc stuff. Due to various reasons we adopted the boat away some years ago. I miss it, especially when spring is here again...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE