My first effort: Svord Peasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
This weekend I finally got round to replacing the scales on my Svord.

With great thanks to Culloch who supplied the spalted beech :)

I messed up splitting the wood as I had to do it by hand and it was not a flat cut. I also messed up with the chicago pins too (they ended up at angles :/ )

However, I persevered and I'm happy with the result. The linseed rub is drying but here's a couple of pics. This is my first woodwork exercise since I made a spatula for CDT at school.

x2_733de99.jpgPhoto0028.jpgPhoto0029.jpg

All that remains now is to do the next one! (and make sure I've got the right sized drill bits doh!)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
whaayyyy, you did it bud, see, that looks great mate, bet you feel better for doing it your self to don't ya.
fantastic, grand job that bud.
for your first attempt, it looks bloody great.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Thanks mate, I am glad I did it myself. Getting the pins right was a real pain the bum. They are 10mm, but a 10mm bit is too big. Went to get a 9mm bit and it was too small! Would probably need a 9.5mm

I made the mistake of not drilling the recess for the pins first too! Still, might buy another peasant and try a different shape. Might even attempt one with a spacer.

[EDIT]

Didn't you do yours with corby bolts?

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Nothing wrong with that for a first mate.

makes you realise how much a full workshop of toys would be great, eh?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Like those knives a lot and that's a cracking job you've done too.

So excuse me for asking but where would I buy a blade like that? Does it come as a kit with pins etc?

Fancy having a go at something like that, I have some spalted beech just begging to be used on a project, that would be perfect.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Looks good:)

I did mine a while ago and fitted Brass liners as well..........

DSCF2281.jpg

Richard

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Well done mate, that looks really good.I told you you'd get more satisfaction from doing it yourself!Now send it to Lee for a new coat!Top job!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Like those knives a lot and that's a cracking job you've done too.

So excuse me for asking but where would I buy a blade like that? Does it come as a kit with pins etc?

Fancy having a go at something like that, I have some spalted beech just begging to be used on a project, that would be perfect.

You have to buy the complete svord (HH have them) then ditch the plastic scales.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Cheers Gaz, couldn't have done it without the wood!

Richard, can you remember what drill size you used for the chicago bolts? Is it 9.5mm?

Sorry I turned them down a little on my lathe to remove the knurled edge and to make them match a counter bore that I had so mine are a little smaller than Standard;)

I made the handle a bit bigger and turned the blade into a sub 3" drop point.........

DSCF2280.jpg

I also have this one which is an early version, the blade is signed by Bryan Baker (using an engraver)......

DSCF2368.jpg

It has a stainless blade and lighter handle.

Cheers

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE