First Aid Training with Cambrian Mountain Events.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Last Friday we headed up to deepest darkest Mid Wales to run a First Aid Course for Cambrian Mountain Events.

They run some great events in the Beautiful Welsh hills. Take a look at their next adventure. Here

We arrived late at night due to most of the major roads in Gloucestershire being closed for road works all at the same time. So after and unplanned tour of some lovely Cotswolds Villages we managed to get our destination and camp.

Thanks Pete for the coffee.

Forest Knights had been asked to train CME crew in first aid relevant to the environment of mid Wales in winter and the types of situations they may encounter on the hill directing an endurance race.

Fortunately Pete and Tony from CME have a team with a wealth of skills, experiences and a really can do attitude.

After arriving at the location and during the opening course admin admin it was time to bench mark their incident management skills and take them out of their comfort zone.

Beth, Senior Forest Knights minion, wandered off quietly and managed to damage her ankle.

The cries of help were were followed by some anxious glances amongst the group. We only just got a coffee it can be happening already.

Beth's acting skills were pretty spot on as the group attempted to treat her injuries and get get back to camp.

View attachment 42003

Here the group are treating a more complex injury Beech tree has shed a branch and is crushing the leg as has a head injury and getting increasing beligerant as he becomes more hypothermic. Casualties don't always help themselves when in pain and under stress.

Thanks guys for putting my the mud that will teach me for giving you a hard time.

The morning was punctuated with first aid theory and increasingly complex practical simulations to promote learning whilst challenging the groups leadership and team work.

There were lively group discussions on the best treatment plans for a variety of conditions. There are few absolutes in the outdoors and lot depends on the situation and the information available.

If you have left a vital piece of kit behind the opportunity to use it had gone forever.

Tony quickly realised the way to a Forest knights Instructors heart is through his coffee mug. We were supplied with endless cups of freshly ground coffee. :)

Topics covered so far.

What is First Aid?
Responsibilties of a first aider.
First Aid and the law. Looking at current first aid best practice and legislation.
RESUS council 2015 Guidlines.
Manual Handling.
Triage. Often brushed over in indoor first aid but vitally important in the outdoors. Making the right decisions in a timely fashion is vital for the patient and rescuer safety.
Primary and Secondary Assessments.
casualty and scene management.

After yet more coffee and lunch it was time to ramp up the skills if the group and really work on their leadership and communication skills whilst demonstrating simple strategies for over coming issues arising from the environment.

Beth could no longer wander anywhere without 12 pairs of eyes wondering if something was about to occur. I'm not sure what the local dog walker population thought of a the chaos of people being removed from cars stretchered over rough terrain. Calling for help well into the night.

The Afternoon topics included:

Basic Life Support.
Defib.
Faster diagnostic tools
Inital Impression Foucussed assessment.
Carotid, Radial and Pedal Pulse. Each student had to submit a minimum of 10 readings during the course.

Not my video but explains where to find the pulse.

[video=youtube_share;QQIiB51IWMU]https://youtu.be/QQIiB51IWMU[/video]

Blood pressure and Temperature
Spinal injuries.
Immobilisation techniques.
Environmental injuries.
Hypothermia.
Hyperthermia. Heat Stroke fluid management and acclimatisation.
Freezing and non freezing Cold injuries.
AMS
HACE
HAPE
Drowning
Crush Injury Protocols.

Each topic was punctuated with more causality simulations and searches.

Lots of ideas discussed and new skills being tested. I had to get rather creative to keep the group feeling challenged but also ensuring that the situations were realistic. Yet not beyond their remit.

Once dark we could add a little extra spice to the mix with a nice multiple casualty simulation search and rescue exercise.

All in all a long long but rewarding day.

Day 2.

Consolidation of day 1.

Recapping the important points and group discussions over more fresh coffee and bacon sandwiches. This is the life.

Topics covered:

Loss of consciousness.
Head injury
Stroke
Diabetes
Chest injuries.
Fractures.
Wound management.
Traction and Evacuation considerations.
Burns. Evaluation,treatment,infection control.
Posioning.
Bites and stings
Travellers health.

All the team from CME demonstrated a commitment to provide first class casualty care and were exceedingly professional throughout. I'm sure anyone attending their events would have a brilliant time and be reassured to know they have a mass of skills and experience to provide first class event.

I will I'll add more photos as I get them.

Bushmoot 2017 I will be running a 3 day intermediate wilderness first aid course. Places are limited to 12.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Very thorough!
Sounds great, I think I'd quite like to do this. How much does it cost please ? Is it just the £75 mentioned on the website?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
IMG_4267.jpg

Casaulty simulation. How to drop me in the mud. Not sure that's in the syllabus.

IMG_4268.jpg

Basic Life Support.

IMG_4263.jpg

No powerpoint in sight. Wilderness first aid should be learnt in the outdoors.

IMG_4264.jpg

Not all incidents happen during the day.

IMG_4243.jpg

Always treat the 3 hippos.

IMG_4252.jpg

Bench marking skills at the beginning. Leadership communication decisions making , planning.

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

Welsh drivers eh?

IMG_4251.jpg

Ogri seems to be be having fun.

IMG_4245.jpg

I need to update the the first aid course page on my website.

This two/three day course will be a offered at a discounted rate at the bushmoot.

Cost to be determined by Tony. :).

The course is certified and recognised by all the major NGBs.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great course had lots of fun

Aha Welcome aboard Beth!

You'll have to be careful, otherwise you'll get yourself a bad name as some type of hypochondriac - what with the perpetual "Oh I've just - fallen/crashed/burnt myself/choked/fainted/cut myself/been run over!" or succumbed to any of a myriad of other pretend injuries.

Good to see you here!

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE