First tooled finish

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
I bought my first crook knife the other day but the curve is huge, maybe good for making a ladle, any recommendations on a good one for spoons?

I'm definitely no pro but I use a Ben Orford medium crook knife and I love it. A bit more expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Nice looking blades, when i progress further with what i use now i'll grab a nicer tool like that, i know it's weird someone admitting freely on the internet to not being an expert at something ;)

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
Nice looking blades, when i progress further with what i use now i'll grab a nicer tool like that, i know it's weird someone admitting freely on the internet to not being an expert at something ;)

Haha, well maybe I will be one day, then I can brag all I want. :lmao:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Maybe one day my masterpieces will brag for themselves, talk about wishful positivity

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a selection of spoon knives - one each of the Mora offerings (with the double edges ground to a single edge as I too nearly sliced off fingers) plus two Dave Budd forgings.
I left the long tip on the "standard" Mora as I sometimes use it - though Dave Budd hates me for that as , when he was sharpening it, the tip deeply sliced his hand for him...
- sorry Dave!

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi guys
Again no expert but I use two of Ben Orfords knives one medium crook knife and one of his English Sloyd knives both we'll made excellent tools and I think you do get what you pay for
Not sure my carvings are better but I am a lot more efficient (quicker!) and I am getting a better finish straight off the bat as it were !
Gary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely spoon Mike, the grain and spalting are really shown off with that finish and I think the form is lovely. And if that's done with a blunt knife, well things can only get better. Top job sir.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Mike I'm impressed that's a loverly spoon full of character and a superb bowl profile, you are coming on leaps and bounds, all I can say is sharpen those tools.

As for the Mora it was the first crook knife I owned it is a great starting knife, after a few years of using it like many others I took the tip off (I find the tip catchs out many new carvers including myself back in the day) reprofiled the entire edge I now find it a wonder to use. I do own two Dave Budds and a Ben Orfords which are nice bits of kit but I do find myself grabing the mora for the majority of the work and using the others to finish off, I do wish now that I had left the tip on as I tend to use the outer side of the blade to do certain parts of the bowl. I guess you do get what you pay for, but learn to use what you have first it will teach you loads and make you a better carver.

Keep them sharpe and happy carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE