Rehandled svord peasant and lessons learned!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi guys,

I had a bit of spalted beech kicking around and decided to make some scales for my svord peasant mini.

These were mostly made by hand with a little help from the dremel now and then (what I wouldn't give for a decent belt sander).
I didn't think about doing step by step photos so its just the finished results, I'm going to make another set so will try and do a start to finish photo guide.

They fit nicely in the hand and are close enough to the originals that it also fits in my custom dangler sheath made by lucky lee of this parish.

The biggest problem I had was countersinking the holes for the screws, a mate has my drill and I didn't want to wait so used one of the cylindrical stone grinding attachments on the dremel which was spot on the right size! Big mistake as it wobbled and made a a very p*ssed hole though by that point I was committed so carried on regardless, next time I will wait for the drill!!!

I decided to finish them in linseed oil as I wanted a dark finish.

Hope you like them and criticism welcome.

ytumu5u4.jpg

esypudug.jpg

tesa9ymy.jpg

ape6emup.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Nice effort bud shame on the holes being off centre though.
Does the spine sitting proud not upset the grip when the blade is open looks a little high to me .
Top job and 10/10 for trying a difficult blade to re Handel.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi trev,

That was my cack handed camera work and not paying attention, this is how it looks fully open which is about the same as the out the box version.

I'm quite happy with it barring the aesthetics of the holes, just feel lucky them being off set didnt mess the whole thing up!

py7u9a9u.jpg

2y5asevu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
You could put a washer behind the screw to take your eye away from the offset or drill them out completely and source a different wood and plug the holes re drill the holes in the plug epoxy them in place and job done .

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I did consider it but as first attempts go I'm secretly quite pleased with it so am going to keep it as a reminder of what not to do, I'm going to make a proper job if the next one.
Might even make several I can match them to my camping outfits! Lol :)

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I think it looks great as it is. It's handmade so it has a handmade look. That's how it should be I reckon.

What ya gotta do now is...make another one...and another...and eventually you'll come to like the handmade
imperfect look. Then make another...and when you make one near as damn perfect you'll be Zen like at peace,
then you'll lose it in the woods and start all over again. :D

So far I've made one for my dad, brother and myself and now my partner wants one. I find the hardest part is
locating the internal brass pin just right. I always put a small rubber spacer in the back screw as wood doesn't
flex like the original plastic. A slice from a fuel or vacuum line works.

Good job. goodjob

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I think it looks great as it is. It's handmade so it has a handmade look. That's how it should be I reckon.

What ya gotta do now is...make another one...and another...and eventually you'll come to like the handmade
imperfect look. Then make another...and when you make one near as damn perfect you'll be Zen like at peace,
then you'll lose it in the woods and start all over again. :D

So far I've made one for my dad, brother and myself and now my partner wants one. I find the hardest part is
locating the internal brass pin just right. I always put a small rubber spacer in the back screw as wood doesn't
flex like the original plastic. A slice from a fuel or vacuum line works.

Good job. goodjob

Thanks Dave, I was thinking about a spacer and have a few small bits of dark walnut lying about so am going to try that and have it flush with the scales (famous last words).
The one bit I didn't have any trouble with was the pin but then by that point I had given up trying to make it perfect so was probably blind luck!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Great looking scales. Love the grain of that wood :)

To be honest so long as the hole through the scale is a good fit the hole for the head is aesthetics as much as anything. The floating scales was the one thing I didn't like about the Peasant so I like a spacer too as it adds to the grip of the knife well.

Great job goodjob

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Apart from the little slip up on the holes, I am loving it, looks fantastic!
And I love sticking with your mistakes, and keeping them like little mementos. Glad to see I am not the only one ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

may it serve you well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE