My First Bow!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lone Bonobo

May 6, 2005
Buckinghamshire
Finally!
Hopefully there's a pic here?

03062007174vl5.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Did you say your first one :eek: Amazing, beautiful curves to the limbs, and I am seeing thing or did you use some yew as well for your first one? Congratulations are in order I think :You_Rock_

Lone Bonobo

May 6, 2005
Buckinghamshire
Thank:D !!

Yep! my first!
After reading bowyers bible and other books i decided to take the plunge.
Yes thats yew! the wood really wasn't ideal thats why the bow is not as long as i would have wanted, and there's more sapwood than heart wood! but i did the best i could with what i had.
I'm trying to souce wood for a second bow.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Great first attempt. Hope you don't mind a few pointers for your next one.
You might want to thin down the sapwood to around 1/8th to 3/16ths of an inch as it's the heartwood that provides the power. Also the inner limbs could work more (I'd not do anything to this one as you'll loose draw weight, unless you have enough length to pike it).
Any chance of a full draw pic?
Where did you get the yew?
Again, a nice bow, you should be proud of yourself.

Lone Bonobo

May 6, 2005
Buckinghamshire
Thanks Snufkin!
I know the sapwood should be thinner, but due to my inexperience and clumsy splitting of the log, i wasn't left with much choice.
And you're right! it is very stiff near the handle, can't tiller anymore as i can't afford to lose any draw weight, and i can't go shorter because, due to an awkward knot, the bow ended up shorter than i'd have liked anyway.
Still, I learned a lot from this one and i'm eager to start another bow.
The wood came from a local churchyard, my brother is in charge of maintenance of the grounds and the wood would have been shredded:eek: if i didn't have it.
I'll try and get a pic up of full draw soon.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Check for a local timber merchant that supplies hardwood. You can make very good bows from boards. Another source is your local tree surgeon. They often lop limbs that will make bows.
I would say keep an eye out for areas that are being cleared for building sites, I've often got good staves that were just going to be bulldozed and burnt but in todays nanny state you wont even get on site:( .
Check your yellow pages for saw mills too.
Look out for storm damaged and blown down trees, you can perform a bit of a public service and clear trails and paths and "aquire" a bit of wood that way (I've a 6' sycamore limb to collect tomorrow morning from just such a tree).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE