My Allotment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I could'nt be without an allotment now, i'd go mad without one!
Its my ultimate place to de-stress and sort out the world in my head. One of the best things i ever done :) Its such a buzz to bring home food grown by your own hands!

Andy >>>>>-----------------------------------<>

Your right there, Maxine's just done a load more carrots for the freezer:)

Bernie

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Been over the allotment this morning to collect some apples for home made apple sauce for the Middlewwod meet,still got plenty of veg for the coming months,carrots,parsnips,leeks,brocoli,cabbage,cauli,sprouts ect:)

Bernie

100_0396.jpg

100_0394.jpg

100_0395.jpg

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Not had much time to get things done on mine. Moving to our new house in a couple of weeks so still got packing and a thousand other things to do. At least its that time of year when things go a bit more dormant :) My little lad loves going down there in his powered wheelchair at this time of year, likes doing doughnuts in the mud.....

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Been over the allotment this morning to collect some apples for home made apple sauce for the Middlewwod meet,still got plenty of veg for the coming months,carrots,parsnips,leeks,brocoli,cabbage,cauli,sprouts ect:)

Bernie

100_0396.jpg

100_0394.jpg

100_0395.jpg

Wow!! look at that lot.

Come on lads and lasses, looks like were all eating at Bernies-inn!!:)

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've been lucky enough to meet a local man who has more land than he can handle and has offered me a large plot of it indefinitely and use of all his tools etc :D

I have foundations for a greenhouse and several sheds/out buildings but sod all experience!

Soooo... I would really like some advice on what to grow at what times and any tips, please!

For a start I have potatoes on the go in an old recycling box, and in the four days I was away this weekend they came up really quickly and have quite big sprouts. Can I still earth them up? Or will the leaves rot? Help?!

Am looking forward to getting some advice from those with more knowledge than I! Thanks :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
you can mound yer spuds up, they'll be fine. you'll have to move quick now though to get other stuff in, it might even be better to think about sorting your plot out good and proer for next year.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I think I have enough space and little seedlings in peat pots to do a bit for this year and prepare (carpet or whatever) the rest for later... was thinking maybe green manure? basically have loads of ideas and little direction ;)

thanks for the heads on the tatties, will sort that tomorrow, but there must be more I can still do now? have a free weekend and a rotivator that I can use for free, (it's mostly bracken etc at the mo, but am definitely not patient enough to wait for next year for everything!

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
We've just got an allotment as well. May I suggest that you register for the BBC's Dig-In fortnightly email which tells you what you should be doing now. Also I would suggest a trip down to The Works and get one of teh many discounted allotment gardening books (I did and they're very helpful).
Chris

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Thanks Chris! Digging in as we speak, and will do a bit of research online. To be honest, major cash crisis means that what small amounts of money I have is gonna have to go on actually buying seeds etc. But I'm getting free manure! :D

keep us up to date on yours, and anything you learn as you go, I need tips to steal! :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, you can still whack in late carrots and brassicas, French beans (both dwarf and climbing), and all sorts of salad leaves. Basically anything that would ideally get sowed in succession.

It'll soon be time to start thinking about spring cabbage and early purple sprouting broccoli...

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Spring cabbage? We haven't had this summer yet?

Anyway, my new target for knowledge is how to use an air pistol/rifle as we are plagued by bunnies. Put some chicken wire round the veg and bunnies do what bunnies do; dig.

Time to get the bivvy bag and tarp out.....

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bit late to the thread but my wife and I have recently got an alotment also, its a new one so I have just completed the chicken wire fence round it to keep the rabbits out and theres not much growing here yet, some cherry trees that were pips last year and took off in the pot that I threw them in, some apple trees that my wife bought today and a pear tree, then some blackcurrent bushes and a gooseberry bush.

I know where theres a wild gooseberry bush with really sweet fruit so will be taking cuttings off it when I can.

On a side note, is there any chance of there being an Alotment forum on here as it certainly looks like theres enough interest and its people providing their own food which seems kind of in line with the general jist of "Bushcraft" unless we are all pretending to be hunter gatherers instead.
In an effort to make it seem more bushcrafty we could grow wild food if needed;)

Scott.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE